Euro 2004

• Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I hope you enjoy it Bentsy and that your wishes are fulfilled. I shall not be watching as my sport is motor racing, including the bikes (Valentino, Biaggi, Gibernau, et al). The trouble is when they clash on TV and soccer gets priority! Even tennis does too, over motor racing. Canadian grand prix tomorrow, as well as MotoGP - a feast.

Rodney

No heartbreaker for me! England had the better team in the first part of the match until Barthez saved David Beckham's penalty kick and rerevitalized the whole French team. The French wanted to win and tried and tried again until the last minute. Zinedine Zidane's freekick was masterful and there was nothing the english goalie could do to save his penalty kick seconds later.

England has a good chance of surviving against Switzerland and Croatia. Those two teams should be easy prey for England judging from their mediocre match yesterday.

There is a slight possibility of another France vs. England match at the final. That would be something!

Indeed ! B)

Incidentally, I thought that last night's match had something of the 1066 'Battle of Hastings' about it. Endless cavalry charges, fierce Saxon shield-wall resistance then the Norman breakthrough with superior tactics at the last minute (lobbed arrow in King Harold's eye with dusk imminent at Hastings, or penalty in stoppage time at Lisbon). Uncanny similarity !

Edited by sidewinder

Sweden-Bulgaria 5-0!

what an immense score, and some very beautiful goals there. nice game to watch for most of the time, though the arbiter should have made that very first foul into a penalty kick and a red instead of a yellow card; I mean, fer crying out loud, that free kick from within the penalty area was a little too soft on the backbone (and how much was 9m15 again?). Why give a yellow card and then revert to something as lame as that? No remorse for fouls like this one, the goalie should have gotten some colour as well, he almost chopped the guy in half.

The arbiter got better later on, but he should have made things clear at the very start and prevented the Bulgarians from playing fouls to disrupt the game. Ah well, probably a bit nervous as well and UEFA does not allow complaints about these people...

The Swedes mastered it brilliantly, congratulations Swinging one!

Anybody mentioned SPAIN 1 - RUSSIA 0 ?

What a terrible match, btw!

Playing that bad, semifinals (at most) is our target!

We have one of the most stupid trainers ever: "Let´s keep Valerón for the last minutes" and he even states he was right because he put him in for the second half and he scored...

<_<

I envy all of you with emerald green envy.

Looks like I won't see any of the matches [i don't have the souped-up 300 channel cable/satellite package].

Does anyone know if maybe the Spanish language channels broadcast any of the games in the US?

ESPN can just go to hell.

:angry:

Edited by Dmitry

I saw the latter portion of the Denmark-Italy match this afternnon. Both keepers turned out to be the men of the match. Just as in the Korea/Japan WC, Denmark look very disciplined and determined; Italy looked very sharp in some of their attacks, but not quite sharp enough. I was disgusted by Totti's viscious foul in extra time. He was lucky to get yellow- the foul deserved red. I hope Henriksen (sp?) will be okay for their next match.

Beckham's penalty was pretty bad (not low enough, not high enough, not left enough... a lot of keepers could have made that save, I think); and the english defender who made the beautiful pass to Henry in the penalty area to seal England's fate... what can I say... :wacko: D-U-M-B.

Dmitry, the coverage I saw was on FSW (Fox Sports World), which is the one premium channel I've added to our extended basic cable service (I added it last October so that I could watch a rebroadcast of a match I had missed- the SJ Earthquakes miracle comback against the LA Galaxy in last year's MLS playoffs). If you can't get that, I would think that a spanish-language channel might air some. That was the only way I got to see any of the World Cups back in '74, '78, '82, '86, and '90. Hooray for Univision!! :party::tup

Germany-Netherlands will be THE match to watch this evening, indeed!

Hey couw!! you're a Dutchman in Germany. Where does your soccer loyalty stands?

The Dutch team looks mighty strong. Arjen Robben should give a hard time to German captain/goalie Oliver Kahn!

For all non football fans. Copious amounts of strong cider :wacko: and cheap bombay mix will be available in my back garden and I thought we could get my stereo out and instead of listening to football we could treat my neighbourhood to a whole evening of John Coltrane's Live at the Village Vanguard at full volume.

I thought just when the local side are about to score I could up the power amp and blow the street fuse :lol::lol::lol::lol:

I was asked by a neighbour who looked very worried I must say , if I knew that England were on.............yes and were 1-0 up.............No................Its on now...........Yes ...........His face was like this :unsure: . .....then he heard some kerfuffle and left me to be ticketty boo and alone .

It was strange how everyone bought their TVs outside.....

Anyway, just bring some chairs and we should have a ball.......recreate the Vanguard in the Peak District UK, next time England are on....all welcome! :g

Maybe a glass or two might be in order if it gets a bit busy!

After rall it is a box set! :w

or rather :party:

(Is there some corner in Europe were the few - among them I - with absolutely no, dig: absolutely no, interested in soccer can hide?)

NO! :P

This is what I was afraid of! Next three weeks (or how long does dis "thing" take to finish) will be hard... I will have to constantly listen to jazz over headphones, even while lunching with colleagues at work - I'm always afraid that one or the other could suddenly die of a heart attack caused by hystericalsoccerdiscussions...

ubu :w

Hey couw!! you're a Dutchman in Germany. Where does your soccer loyalty stands?

that depends how ferocious the guy standing next to me looks... if not so, I'll cheer with the Dutch goals.

Have to be careful, I remember watching a game here in '98 in some student club. It was the game Germany lost 0:3 from Kroatia. Near the end of the first half one of the Germans did some nastiness and I remember myself yelling "RED!" when the whole room fell silent.... Luckily I had some BIG friends with me, there was some animosity there; luckily also this was an incredibly clear foul and no one could really dispute it. The good thing about the '98 tournament was that Germany and the Netherlands could only have met in the finals (which they didn't) and the Germans do like the Dutch way of playing. They are even getting into that themselves now - remember the 2002 final when Germany played like Brasil and Brasil like Germany....

Couw's reply reminds me of that extremely funny scene in the Italian film 'Pane e Cioccolata' in which the late Nino Manfredi playing an Italian migrant in Switzerland tries to hide his true reactions while watching an Italy vs. Switzerland soccer match in a Swiss cafe where he is the only foreigner.

Couw's reply reminds me of that extremely funny scene in the Italian film 'Pane e Cioccolata' in which the late Nino Manfredi playing an Italian migrant in Switzerland tries to hide his true reactions while watching an Italy vs. Switzerland soccer match in a Swiss cafe where he is the only foreigner.

Didn't see the film, but I remember, maybe ten years ago, being on holiday, family holiday, near Florence, staying at friend's of our parents and watching the swiss beating the italians - which was some sort of a miracle, back then, when the swiss just again rose to the minimal international soccer-ability they still enjoy today... Pretty funny it was, for sure!

ubu