Euro 2004

Didn't see the film, but I remember, maybe ten years ago, being on holiday, family holiday, near Florence, staying at friend's of our parents and watching the swiss beating the italians - which was some sort of a miracle, back then, when the swiss just again rose to the minimal international soccer-ability they still enjoy today... Pretty funny it was, for sure!

ubu

Mmmm, were you watching soccer? You, the one and only SOCCER-HATER! <_<

:g

• Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't see the film

Ubu, you should have this on your must see films agenda, Right at the top. Excellent film.

Probably not shown in Switzerland that often! It was really an excellent view of migrant life in Switzerland and Nino Manfredi was perfect there! And Anna Karina costarred in the film! The tone of the film was pretty harsh on the Swiss!

Didn't see the film, but I remember, maybe ten years ago, being on holiday, family holiday, near Florence, staying at friend's of our parents and watching the swiss beating the italians - which was some sort of a miracle, back then, when the swiss just again rose to the minimal international soccer-ability they still enjoy today... Pretty funny it was, for sure!

ubu

Mmmm, were you watching soccer? You, the one and only SOCCER-HATER! <_<

:g

Remember, it was when I was 14, or maybe only 12 years old... family obbligations - and it was a really boring match, too... Anyway, I find soccer boring, wouldn't it be better to follow John Heartfield's tip "Jedermann sein eigner Fussball"?

ubu :g

Didn't see the film

Ubu, you should have this on your must see films agenda, Right at the top. Excellent film.

Probably not shown in Switzerland that often! It was really an excellent view of migrant life in Switzerland and Nino Manfredi was perfect there! And Anna Karina costarred in the film! The tone of the film was pretty harsh on the Swiss!

brownie, I think it was shown, but I missed it. Manfedi, r.i.p.

The tone on the swiss ought to be harsh as far as migration policies are concerned. And it won't get better, no. Though these policies do indeed reflect people's attitudes... I do feel ashamed.

ubu

Anybody mentioned  SPAIN 1 - RUSSIA 0 ?

What a terrible match, btw!

Playing that bad, semifinals (at most) is our target!

We have one of the most stupid trainers ever: "Let´s keep Valerón for the last minutes" and he even states he was right because he put him in for the second half and he scored...

<_<

Spain is my team (having lived in Madrid and Barcelona, and Real is also my team but don't get me started on that subject) and I saw Saturday's game and like you wasn't happy with what I saw. They had incredible energy in the first 15 minutes or so but couldn't get anything close to a good shot. The passing seemed to be off. The way they were playing they should have won 4-0. The Russians were very inexperienced so they're lucky. I don't think they'll be able to get away with that with the Greeks so let's hope they're a little better.

I envy all of you with emerald green envy.

Looks like I won't see any of the matches [i don't have the souped-up 300 channel cable/satellite package].

Does anyone know if maybe the Spanish language channels broadcast any of the games in the US?

ESPN can just go to hell.

:angry:

Dmitry,

I've checked and the Spanish stations don't have it. Except for a few games on Fox Sports World, it costs almost $20 a game. I think FSW will have the quarters, semis and final on tape delay, but that's it.

Edited by Brad

Well, that went well this evening. Best result I could imagine. Pheww.

Both teams played like wet old newspapers most of the time and both the goals came out of thin air. No one really dominated the game, in phases maybe, but none would have deserved to win or loose.

that Latvia-Czechia game was nothing to reanimate your dead granny about either.

Both teams played like wet old newspapers most of the time and both the goals came out of thin air. No one really dominated the game, in phases maybe, but none would have deserved to win or loose.

that Latvia-Czechia game was nothing to reanimate your dead granny about either.

Yep, seems that the so-call "death group" is especially dead boring.

But, now, with this draw between the German and the Dutch it's nearly impossible to guess what teams will finish at the two first place.

I can't imagine than the most dull German team ever could go throught.

And, aniway, it's now possible.

Edited by P.L.M

I don't think the Dutch team will go through. The players have a lot of individual qualities, but they don't seem to be able to play as a team. I'm not a fan of manager Advocaat, who never really seems to know what he's doing and who's never won anything important with his teams (PSV Eindhoven, Rangers, the Dutch team twice), and I hope he'll go as soon as the tournament is over for the Dutch, which, again, might be pretty soon.

I was expecting more from the Dutch team. And a bit less from the German team. Not a really exciting match last night and the 1-1 draw seemed fair.

The championship enters the second set of group matches with Greece opposing Spain and Russia playing against Portugal. Will see if the Greek team can sustain the strength of its opening match against Portugal.

I was expecting more from the Dutch team.

Not with this manager. Their preparation was disastrous and the first match was a confirmation of the poor state the team's in.

If this is the situation, why do you think he was appointed???

No idea. The ways of the Dutch FA's executives are inscrutable.

matchday 1 is over and i´m still recovering myself from that unexpected win against england. so far we had only poor games and i hope matchday 2 will bring us some attacking football.

i think Portugal will beat Russia today (Mostovoi has been sent home) and Spain will beat Greece too. it would be fine if Greece ends on the 2nd place as they will face off the first of group B which probably will be my beloved team France...

ALLEZ LES BLEUS, ALLEZ LES BLEUS, ALLEZ LES BLEUS !!!!!!!!

Marcus

The French players could not untangle from the English team tactics which worked wonders until the last quarter of the match. Then the French regained their confidence and team captain Zidane turned his magic on.

Will wait for the other regular scorers (Thierry Henry and David Trezeguet) to lead the French team easily into the second round.

But the whole team will have to play better.

A very disappointing game from Spain, to say the least. We always have to suffer these kinds of games from this team. Just like against Russia, this game should have been put away. Instead we now face the distinct possibility of going home. Greece should have an easy game against Russia, putting them through, while Spain face what will be not an easy game against Portugal. A tie is all that is needed but with a desperate host team it will not be easy. If they get through, it will only lead to more disappointment. :(

A very disappointing game from Spain, to say the least.  We always have to suffer these kinds of games from this team.  Just like against Russia, this game should have been put away.  Instead we now face the distinct possibility of going home.  Greece should have an easy game against Russia, putting them through, while Spain face what will be not an easy game against Portugal.  A tie is all that is needed but with a desperate host team it will not be easy.  If they get through, it will only lead to more disappointment. :(

The really good games start only on the quarter final with the knock out system. Few more days to suffer. :g