Euro 2004

I think we may play for the required draw against Croatia , we were in a similar position in the group stages of the last World Cup when playing Nigeria in the last game & we played for the draw.

No!!!

The English team has to play in order to win!!! This is what sport is all about: to win.

• Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe in the English team and their potential. Yesterday they played in a very low gear but against the Swiss it was enough. The 3 - 0 result reflects the level difference between the English and the Swiss. They must play better against Croatia and there is no doubt in my mind that the Croatians will give them a fight. I hope they will qualify because Croatia has nothing to look for at the quarter final. Owen is a riddle also for me.

the 3-0 also reflect a numeric advantage after the red card...

your explanation sounds pretty, but the English had no reason to play in low gear. They lost their first game remember. They were stumbling and playing against themselves for most of the time.

I think we may play for the required draw against Croatia , we were in a similar position in the group stages of the last World Cup when playing Nigeria in the last game & we played for the draw.

No!!!

The English team has to play in order to win!!! This is what sport is all about: to win.

so no low gear then please

No!!!

so no low gear then please

I accept your point couw. Next game I promise I'll do my best.... :g:g

No!!!

I just think from what Eriksson's previous tactics in a similar situation have been , also taking into account the heat in Portugal as in the last world cup he might take it cautiously.

I just woke up after the Denmark - Bulgaria match. Who won?

Zzzzzzz

It wasn't that bad, well, OK, the second half was, but the first half was quite interesting. Denmark should have scored more, but the 2 - 0 result was OK. Beautiful second goal!

yeah well, the second half was an utter bore. almost like watching Atari tennis.

granted on the goal, but I was asleep by then. and it was only just enough to make up less than half of the ugliness that went before with the arbiter handing out cards like decorating a christmas tree...

Italy 1, Sweden 0 at half time. I was pleasantly surprised by the Italians, who played much more like a team than in their first game against Denmark. The Swedes started well, but they came under increasing pressure as the first half progressed. Let's hope the second half will not be as boring as in today's earlier game...

1-1 feghing CRAZIEST goal I've ever seen.

played it with his feghing HEEL...!

Italy was the better team for sure, BUT

as the Italians seem to be made of sugar paper and need to lie down a lot (are they tired?) whenever someone touches them and need to pretend they were hit or kicked or whatever all the time, whilst breaking legs and feet through a series of actions that the football god hadn't even thought possible, let alone he made rules to forbid them (or give the arbiter eyes enough to see), I really grant the Swedes this little fun. Moreso, for their immense effort and their incredible will to attack. How many guys did they have up front in the end? Four? Five?

That's football. Lovely.

The bestest and the craziest game thus far.

1-1 feghing CRAZIEST goal I've ever seen.

played it with his feghing HEEL...!

Italy was the better team for sure, BUT

as the Italians seem to be made of sugar paper and need to lie down a lot (are they tired?) whenever someone touches them and need to pretend they were hit or kicked or whatever all the time, whilst breaking legs and feet through a series of actions that the football god hadn't even thought possible, let alone he made rules to forbid them (or give the arbiter eyes enough to see), I really grant the Swedes this little fun. Moreso, for their immense effort and their incredible will to attack. How many guys did they have up front in the end? Four? Five?

That's football. Lovely.

The bestest and the craziest game thus far.

Yep, great game and a correct result, all in all. You're right about the apparent fragility of the Italians and their fouls... Disgusting.

Edited by J.A.W.

The Swedes were not tight enough in the man to man struggles. Of course the Italians lost a lot of air towards the end of the game after they had been at the guy with the ball ALL THE TIME (amazing). Sweden didn't get a lot of chances to really build something up until they brought in a fresh player who started to mess things up. When they brought in two more fresh guys for the offense, the only thing lacking to score the goal was time really.

Edited by couw

I just saw the Italy Sweden game on tape delay. The first half was some of the best Italian football I've seen in a long time and finally the Swedes got their act going, which obviously cost them dearly. However, I think they have a good chance to qualify. I can't see anything less than a victory against Bulgaria. And I can really see a tie between Sweden and Denmark, which would give all three teams 5 points. I suppose it would then come down to goal differential and then, I believe goals scored. If I'm correct about the latter, Sweden would have a big advantage there.

I just saw the Italy Sweden game on tape delay.  The first half was some of the best Italian football I've seen in a long time and finally the Swedes got their act going, which obviously cost them dearly.  However, I think they have a good chance to qualify.  I can't see anything less than a victory against Bulgaria.  And I can really see a tie between Sweden and Denmark, which would give all three teams 5 points.  I suppose it would then come down to goal differential and then, I believe goals scored.  If I'm correct about the latter, Sweden would have a big advantage there.

These are the qualification rules:

If two or more teams finish equal on points after all the group matches have been played, the following criteria shall be applied to determine the ranking:

1. Number of points obtained in the matches between the teams in question;

2. Goal difference resulting from the matches between the teams in question;

3. Number of goals scored in the matches between the teams in question (if more than two teams finish equal on points);

4. Goal difference in all the group matches

5. Number of goals scored in all the group matches;

6. Coefficient of points from the last two qualifying competitions for the final rounds of the 2000/02 FIFA World Cup and 2002/04 UEFA European Football Championship (points gained divided by the number of matches played);

7. Fair Play conduct of the teams (in the final tournament);

8. A drawing of lots.

Additionally, if two teams meeting in one of the last round of group matches have the same number of points, the same goal difference and the same number of goals, and if this match stands at a draw at the end of normal time, the ranking of these two teams will be determined by kicks from the penalty mark, rather than the criteria outlined above.

Edited by J.A.W.

Latvia - Germany: 0 - 0....

ouch. those Latvians showed they have some qualities on the basis of which they are participating in this tournament. The Germans could not find a way through their concrete defense. Playing like the Germans used to play for ages (defend, defend, defend, score through counter attacks), Latvia almost even beat the German team. They could have through one of the 3 penalty kicks they didn't get...

It was nice to see the Latvians get on a sort of victory tour at the end of the match.

The Germans are joining the list of major teams (France, England, Italy) that disappoint.

Dutch team to be next??

Stepping over to the TV to watch them play the Czechs...