Elliott Smith

.:.impossible

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I'm listening to FIGURE 8 for the first time through tonight. I would recommend starting with either this or X/O and working your way back, although if you like his early stuff, you'll definitely dig on this stuff. Much more harmony and many more instruments.

I can't decide whether it is his voice or his songs that I like most. I can't really compare him to anyone else, though my Mom kept telling me how much he reminded her of John Lennon.

I wasn't alive when John Lennon's music was "contemporary" and she was, so...

BTW, she was in love with Paul.

Good to hear that some jazz-flavored folks also like Elliott's music. Being in Portland, I've had a chance to see him a few times. He can play just about anything, and does on most of his albums. I can't wait for his new album. Heard it might be a double. :)

Brad Mehldau covers an Elliott Smith tune on a promo-only CD - the same one where Mehldau does a solo-piano version of Radiohead's "Paranoid Android".

I'll have to look up the particulars later, as I'm up way past my bedtime at the moment.

=====

My vague memory tells me it's "Bottle Up And Explode", if that in fact even is an Elliott Smith tune.

Off to ZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzz........

Edited by Rooster_Ties

smith's former band, heatmiser, is also worth checking out. particularly their final album, mic city sons. a bit rougher around the edges than his solo work.

heatmiser also included sam coomes, now of quasi with janet weiss (sleater kinney). and neil gust now of no.2. smith appears on both no.2 albums and a couple of quasi's.

I'm listening to Figure 8 again tonight. This guy is beautiful. I'm envious DoubleM. I can't imagine a local scene that has a presence this strong. I wonder if I had known about Elliott Smith and musicians like him earlier on. Would I have discovered jazz?

Eventually, but I think this music would have snagged me for a while. Either way, I am so glad to have been introduced to this music. Matter of fact, I thanked my friend the other day for hipping me to Elliott Smith.

I've wanted to check out Heatmiser for a while now. Sometime soon. First and foremost, I need to buy two copies of Snurdy McGurdy (one for my brother's birthday and one for myself of course) and the NESSA AEC Box (just one, for myself :) ).

Do you guys listen to any other musicians that you would associate with Elliott Smith?

Impossible--I actually didn't yet live in Portland when Elliott still did, but I know he has roots, many friends and family here. I think he lives in L.A., now. My older brother played a few shows w/ his opening band "Jr. High" in April '99. That tour came through Salt Lake City, where I lived at the time. My cat had a litter the day they played, and one of my friends suggested I name a kitten "Elliott", so I did. I even kept him! So how's that for hardcore?!!! :D . Anyway, to get back to your point, the scene here is pretty good, but not dripping w/ ES gigs. I wish he played here more often. And yes, there is a band called "Quasi" that I'd check out. They are a two-piece from Portland that used to be his bassist and drummer on tours, and they'd open for him. These guys share certain similarities w/ ES, IMHO. It's the drummer from Sleater-Kinney, and her ex-husband Sam Coomes, who plays a number of odd keyboards, guitars, etc.. His lyrics are depressing like Elliott's, but in a more humorous way, I would say. "Birds" is a good starter for their stuff. Enjoy! :rsmile:

Do you guys listen to any other musicians that you would associate with Elliott Smith?

joe pernice.

similiar early influences (the clash, nick drake, elvis costello) and stylistic approach as smith. one hell of a songwriter. start with the world won't end by his band the pernice brothers. there's also a solo album and side project called chappaquiddick skyline.

• 2 weeks later...

I just wanted to thank you guys for this thread.

I finally picked up Elliott Smith's S/T cd and Figure 8 last night.

I've only had a chance to listen to his first album, but I have to say that I was BLOWN AWAY. After the first song ended, I couldn't believe how much I liked it. Then I felt the same about the second song, and so on.

I can wait to hear Figure 8.

:rsmile:

I felt the exact same way Africa Brass. I think there are a lot of people that would really like Elliott Smith's music. I hope he continues to put out great albums for a long long time.

I hope so too!

impossible, thanks again for starting this thread!

Edited by AfricaBrass

I hope you like his music, John.

I finally listened to Figure 8 yesterday and I'm really surprised to say that I like his first S/T release better. I'm not saying that it's not good. It is, but I just enjoyed the simplicity of his first album a little bit more.

I'm still looking forward to picking up his other albums, but I'll have to wait a while. I've bought too many cds lately.

I'm glad to see this thread has recieved so much attention. I listen to the "acoustic" albums more often than X/O and Figure 8, but don't neglect them. On top of his great songwriting, there is some pretty amazing rock arrangement. Every once in a while, I will hear an electric guitar lick step out front and disappear in his lyrics on these well produced albums. I don't think they take anything away from his music. They give it a sort of duality that seems to amplify his musical talent.

I may have to check out some of the like-kind-quality recommendations on this thread. I never get tired of listening to Elliott Smith!

Thanks for turning me on to Smith, impossible!

I picked up Either/Or a week ago and have been listening to it constantly. I really love his songs, especially his chord progressions. You can tell that he's studied some of the masters (Beatles, etc.). His songs just get under my skin and make me want to listen to them over and over. I really am hooked! :D

I think I prefer the earlier, more spartan recordings because they really show off his gifts. I have Figure 8, and I think something gets lost when more is added to the mix. I need to spend more time with Figure 8. I have a feeling the same riches are there, but they're a little harder to get to.

• 2 months later...

2004!!!?!!! Well, hopefully it will be worth the wait. I've heard a few of the tunes-from live recordings, (i.e.,"Don't Go Down", "Pretty Ugly Before", "Strung Out Again") and like them all very much. I've noticed a refinement in his song structures, and the lyrics are-- as always--clever, honest, and funny. :tup

Impossible--I picked up an E.S. boot from ebay, not knowing that it was a boot until it arrived. The seller listed the cd as having a bunch of new songs from the upcoming album, w/o mentioning that they were live. No big "D". It's pretty good, really. The other place where I believe they can be found is sweet adeline, or you could do a google search for Elliott trades or downloads, etc.. My modem is too slow to download 'em, so I get them from friends. There are about 3 or 4 from LA and Stockholm that are fairly recent that shouldn't be too hard to find online. If you strike out, let me know, and we can do a trade or something.