Which Mosaic to get next

Help me choose.  

53 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I have been leaning towards the Sonny Stitt set. I really enjoy his playing, but

the JJ Johnson set has been out there awhile and most likely will be one of the next to go to "Last Chance", so may be I should go for this one. I also like the sound of Johnny Hodges and think of this one. Eventually, I will get all three sets, but for today, not sure which one.

Those that have any or all these sets, which would you recommend?

Edited by Hardbopjazz

With Mosaic's present free shipping offer, you save a couple of bucks on shipping costs if you purchase either the J.J. Johnson or Sonny Stitt. These are all great sets, and you cannot go wrong with any one of them. I voted for the J.J. Johnson set because several times I have gotten burned purchasing a newer set instead of an older set. After the purchase, the older set has shown up on the endangered list.

I own the Hodges Mosaic and the JJ Johnson Mosaic. Both are very good sets. I recommend both. However, the JJ Johnson is the oldest limited-issue Mosaic CD set still available from Mosaic. I'd recommend the Johnson due to it's earlier release date. You can get the Hodges next month.

On the other hand, I'd also consider purchasing the set you are currently most in the mood for. If I didn't already have it, I'd go with the JJ Johnson while it's still available.

Edited by wesbed

I picked the J.J. Johnson because that's the one I just ordered. :)

I own the Hodges and it sounds fantastic, both in terms of the music and the mastering.

But if you're in the mood for Sonny, I'd say get that one. Especially as you intend to own them all eventually.

I'd go for the sets in the following order:

Hodges

(You never know when Verve sets could go OOP due to some legal wrangle. Ok, so that's based on the Stuff Smith case, but why take the risk? The music on this set is absolutely 'beautiful' and not to be missed for even one more day! :P I'm thinking of getting a second copy just for backup)

J.J Johnson

(While the music on this set is great, it may actually stick around longer than the Hodges set. Mosaic has said this will last well into 2005. Still, it's best to double check with them)

Stitt

(Just received this one, it's numbered in the low 2000s)

But, if you're gonna get all these in the next few months, then it probably doesn't matter in which order you buy them. B)

The free shipping has me in an ordering mood, although having just purchased the VeeJay sets, I shouldn't. Still, that shipping can add up!

I have a lot of Hodges on LP, plus some CDs, so am passing on that set (for now). Ditto J.J. I'm close to ordering the Elvin Jones set, as all of it is OOP, and I have none of it. I don't see Blue Note reissuing much of this material separately (although they have done so with Blakey, Hill, McLean, etc). When the Elvin set goes OOP, it's going to be hard to find this material.

I'm also mulling over the Gerald Wilson set, in addition to Elvin (OK, wretched excess, right?). Wilson has such incredible taste. His arrangements are sophisticated and swing. Anyone have this set?

Edited by Leeway

I'm also mulling over the Gerald Wilson set, in addition to Elvin (OK, wretched excess, right?). Wilson has such incredible taste. His arrangements are sophisticated and swing. Anyone have this set?

I have it. It's an excellent set, marred only by a couple of sub-par pop tunes which not even Gerald can redeem by his arrangements. However 90-95% of it is top-notch. If you like powerful big bands that swing (and it sounds as if you do), then this is a great set to have. Personally, I'm really looking foward to the Johnny Richards Select.

I had a really hard time choosing between the JJ Johnson and the Hodges. They are the two favorite Mosaics that I own. In the end, I voted for the JJ Johnson because I think musically, its the best one.

:P  I'm thinking of getting a second copy just for backup

DON'T encourage me to go there, man. :huh::blink::wacko:

(Will NOT get second copy just for backup...

Will...NOT...get...second...copy...for...back-up...

WILL.......NOT.....)

:ph34r::ph34r:

...then again, you should be able to sell it at a markup on your original cost after it goes OOP. :rolleyes:

I voted for the JJ, by a nose over the Hodges. Picked it because I think it's easier to find the Hodges stuff in the set than the JJ albums. It's really a crime that Columbia hasn't done more with this JJ material because it's really first rate.

No love for Sonny? This is one of my favorite Mosaics (next to the Mobley). I would rate this over the JJ although I like that one very much. But if the reason to buy is because it might go oop soon, yeah, it might go oop but you can always pick it up when it does. The music on the Sonny Mosaic shows him in his prime in a variety of settings and his Roulette work took place as he was also recording his Verve sides.