Freddie Hubbard - Night of the Cookers

Lee Morgan - Sixth Sense

Horace Silver - Serenade to a Soul Sister

Jimmy Smith - Home Cookin

At CDUniverse

$8.39 for singles

$17.49 for double

Edited by mgraham333

'Sixth Sense' came out around that timeframe as well.

It came out in 1999!! One must however keep in mind that the current US RVGs are picked from the 9501-9600 JRVG releases (which include bonus tracks unlike previous JRVGs). The Sixth Sense simply was the only 60s Morgan among them, so it had to be that one or none at all. If Cuscuna had picked the titles independently I'm sure something like Delightfulee would have been a much more likely candidate.

I checked the track listing on The Sixth Sense at the CD Universe site. Please tell me that they are taking this listing from the previous edition, and not the RVG, because...

Tracks 7-9 are listed as previously unissued.

Track 6 is called 'The City Of My People'.

I hope the Massey tune is not still mistitled on the RVG.

Bertrand.

Edited by bertrand

I checked the track listing on The Sixth Sense at the CD Universe site. Please tell me that they are taking this listing from the previous edition, and not the RVG, because...

Tracks 7-9 are listed as previously unissued.

Track 6 is called 'The City Of My People'.

I hope the Massey tune is not still mistitled on the RVG.

Bertrand.

What's that? I've got the 1999 edition of this one - any mistake there? (Don't have it at hand to check right now)

thanks,

ubu

I'm sure something like Delightfulee would have been a much more likely candidate.

That one sure is a fine album, and the extra big band tracks are very good, too. My favorite on that is "Night Flite", with a terrific trumpet solo; McCoy's solo, where the horns riff behind him, is a fine moment, too.

But pretty much all the Morgan stuff is very welcome. I can't remember hearing him play badly.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm sure something like Delightfulee would have been a much more likely candidate.

That one sure is a fine album, and the extra big band tracks are very good, too. My favorite on that is "Night Flite", with a terrific trumpet solo; McCoy's solo, where the horns riff behind him, is a fine moment, too.

But pretty much all the Morgan stuff is very welcome. I can't remember hearing him play badly.

Joe Henderson's solo on this one is pretty damn amazing too. As is the contribution of Billy Higgins.

Just got "Night Of The Cookers". I didn't hear the last issue but the RVG sounds pretty good all things considered.

Is it worth getting hold of John? I hear so many negatives about this session that I've held back for now. Amazing really, considering the lineup. I passed on the Spanish Blue Note version of this recently, even though it was only £5. Wonder how the sound quality compares?

Bob, The RVGs are a vast inprovement on the vinyl. The session rambles a bit and it's a tad rough and ready as might be expected with four 20 minute live tracks but with Freddie and Lee it can't be all bad. I'd take a chance

Sounds good John. One of the local CD places has the RVGs for £5 each. No sign of the two 'Cookers' CDs yet but I'll pick them up when I hit town. I got hold of 'Action' the other day as a 'car hi fi' copy (great session). Compared it with the vinyl though and the vinyl 'kicked ass', so to speak. At least though the copy protection didn't throw a wobbly this time.

Edited by sidewinder

re: Night of the Cookers...

Man, I've always loved those two records, and I picked up the CD's when I found them at some point. Like a dumbass, I sold 'em, under the auspices of, "well, I just don't have the time to listen to four 20 minute tracks..." Little did I realize that I would eventually move within the city limits of Chicago, and now have at least 40 minutes on the road during my commute with which to listen to some truly fiery playing from Freddie and Lee. And they are great. Don't listen to the reviews, or the people that inexplicably don't like this session. It's a bad, bad mutha.

Hey guys...listening to Cookers right now and IMHO the title accurately describes the content of the music. I really don't get why this set is so derided. This is, to me at least how a live gig should sound, everyone stretching out and jamming their arses off. I really enjoy the type of beats employed by the ensemble, the pseudo-calypso rhythm performed in such a non-Harry Belafonte type fashion. It's workin for me on a few different levels. I love to hear the crowd get into it and chant and cheer the guys on as they play. Mabern is ripping it up on this version of Breaking Point as we speak!!!