'Fess up you buccaneers...

Hardbopjazz

I really think this whole argument is overexaggerated. people buy the new remasters all the time, even if they already have a previous version. sure there are some who will stick to their CDr copy and will not buy a new master when it comes out. Most avid fans will though.

you mix your public a bit in your post. either it's about the die hards and they will buy the new CD, or it's about the general public and they won't give a damn about the titles we're talking about as everything they could ever want is currently in print. the very in-print-ness probably defines their wants.

there will be black sheep, but the herd is predominantly white I should think.

This from www.theinquirer.net, via the Disinfo site, and I can't vouch for this guy at all. That being said, it wouldn't suprise me ...

Recording industry has fresh bash at digital radio

RIAA causes turbulence in airwaves

By Nick Farrell: Monday 14 June 2004, 07:26

AFTER YEARS of targeting old ladies, children, teens, file sharing companies and the odd pirate the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) is now gunning for the fledgling digital radio industry.

Apparently it has just woken up to the fact that radio stations broadcast digital quality music over the airwaves which can be downloaded and distributed.

The RIAA says it wants radio stations to put in safeguards that will make sure the music will not be copied. It says that the FCC should ensure that the broadcast format limits such copying so radio stations don't turn the airwaves into a giant file-sharing network.

The problem for the RIAA is that digital radio is capable of recording tracks and replaying them. A person recording FM stations has to sit by the recorder and hit the stop button to prevent one track bleeding into another.

The RIAA, is OK with listeners recording digital broadcasts for later playback but in a stonking lack of knowledge about digital technology wants it made impossible to divide that broadcast up into individual songs.

Clearly it has never heard of the fact that most music software enables people to hack up digital content in anyway they like. About 300 stations now broadcast digital signals or are in the process of setting them up. µ

I really think this whole argument is overexaggerated. people buy the new remasters all the time, even if they already have a previous version. sure there are some who will stick to their CDr copy and will not buy a new master when it comes out. Most avid fans will though.

you mix your public a bit in your post. either it's about the die hards and they will buy the new CD, or it's about the general public and they won't give a damn about the titles we're talking about as everything they could ever want is currently in print. the very in-print-ness probably defines their wants.

there will be black sheep, but the herd is predominantly white I should think.

What you're saying makes sense, I admit. I hope the fog in my mind starts clearing up and my logic starts making some sense one of these days.

However, I'd still rather own a used copy of a legitimate release, regardless of whether it's OOP or not, than a CDR. Just seems more ethical and supporting of the industry, somehow.

However, I'd still rather own a used copy of a legitimate release, regardless of whether it's OOP or not, than a CDR. Just seems more ethical and supporting of the industry, somehow.

me too rather have the real thing. some real things become *way* too expensive once OOP... remember what Mobley's SNF went for in the day? :ph34r:

would I have bought such an expensive disk, that would only have been detrimental for the industry as -- like many others -- I only have a limited budget for music. Spending it on expensive OOP items is not goin to help the industry much.

If the music is rare and not commerically available, I usually feel little or no guilt for the simple reason that most jazz boots are a labor of love. There is no big money in it, and the artists or their estates lose little if nothing. It is collectors trying to make important music available.

On the other hand, things have gone much too far in Europe. Laws are certainly needed to protect companies that do invest in remastering and making music available, only to find their work immediately pirated by some budget label. I try to avoid "Definitive" for that reason.

That isn't to say that I don't own any Definitive releases. :wub::wub: