Lou Donaldson - The Scorpion: Live at the Cadillac

Dmitry

that gig is a f'in 5 star event! My all time favorite hands-down live organ records, and that's saying a lot. Leon Spencer is on fire, check his stuff out on "Laura." Amazing. The rhythm section of Sparks, Idris, and Spencer is a home run,...live....they knock it out of the park.

Screw AMG on this one. 5 stars.

I agree. I put off buying this one for a long time due to the AMG review. When I got it for $2.00 at a CD store that was going out of business, it actually served as the catalyst for me to put absolutely no weight in AMG's reviews whatsoever. I use that site strictly for personel questions and such now and not for reviews.

It's a smokin' session.

Leon Spencer is one bad dude. Why is he not recording anymore?

There just doesn't seem to be any interest on the part of record labels to record him. Much like John Patton in his final years. Well, and truth be told, almost every other "older" jazz legend. Too bad, a real waste. I guess they're too busy recording crap. We just don't value age in this society, and this is just another example of that. He can still play his ass off, that's for sure.

The live disc on the QE2 is Lou with Dr. Lonnie Smith, not Leon Spencer. I don't believe Spencer has recorded anything in quite some time. I talked to Pete Fallico once and he mentioned that Spencer wants to record but he can't get anything going. It's a shame.

Maybe Soulstream and I should start a nutty organ record label and record these old masters! :)

Maybe Soulstream and I should start a nutty organ record label and record these old masters! :)

I actually did think about bringing Big John and George Braith into the studio when they came down here for a gig. We decided we didn't have the right drummer and was going to bring Ben Dixon down next time. Everyone was real into the idea, it was just a matter of time. Of course, John died and that was the end of that. Now I really regret not trying harder on it. These legends still active and not being recorded is a travesty. They are the REAL thing. Once they're gone we have a finite amount of their work and that's it.

Dude, could I get Braith on my next record? That would be the SHIT! :)

Now I don't know much about how the recording biz works on that level, but why couldn't you? I mean, it's not as if the majors are burnin' up Braith's phone to offer him recording opportunities.

Would it just be a matter of how much money a band would need to offer him for the session or is it more a pride thing, like "hey, I used to record for Blue Note, now I'm backing the boys in Organissimo." (No offense, B-3 ;))

What exactly does it take to get some of these somewhat obscure "old-timers" to record again?

Ray

Well, Ron Blake wasn't cheap (which was partly my fault), but he was definately worth it and I'm glad he participated on the record. I would think doing one or two songs with Braith wouldn't cost too much. Besides, I have no problem paying people what they are worth if I can afford it, especially great musicians.

I'd love to cover some of his tunes like Braith-a-way.

Damn, too many choices! I have a lot of ideas for records in my head. I definately want to do an organ trio + vibes record very soon, but I have to find the right vibes player. Of course organ trio + vibes + Braith would be sweet as well! :)

And hey, the boys in Organissimo aren't too shabby, or so I've heard.... ;)

i understand jazzbo, i think we're all in agreement that all these guys should get a chance to record more. i reallyl like that donaldson on the QE2 Cd. i think it may show dr. lonnie's wares off better than anything else he's got on CD at this point.

i think unless you live near some of these guys, it's a little cost prohibitive to record with them. my question is why they aren't represented more on NYC dates as sidemen? i guess i'm just dreaming of a perfect world. it's just a shame.

(b3-er, as far as braith goes...i'm already a step ahead. i'm trying to bring him down to record this summer. ;):party: )