Karen Mantler!!

Rooster_Ties

Without any special effort to find them, I somehow acquired all four of Karen Mantler's dates as a leader (all of them bought used). I just listened to the most recent two earlier today, and I have to say that although she defies categorization, she's a winner in my book.

e61773t02cv.jpgg36727v02cv.jpg

W3208g.jpge18712h6var.jpg

At first I thought she was just quirky (and she certainly is), but the longer I've had these discs (the first two going on 10 years now), the more I think she's the real deal. :party:

Any other Karen Mantler fans here too??

Edited by Rooster_Ties

• 2 years later...

Yeah, she's fantastic eh! Great sense of humor - Pet Project is great, the lyrics are hilarious, great band (borrowed from Carla's guys) ...

She's a wicked organ/hamonica/whatever player - found all over Carla's stuff (wasn't her first appearance when she was three on Escalator Over the Hill?)

Either way, she's a fascinating, creative musician - hope to hear more from her soon...

By the way, I never know what section of my CD's to file Karen's stuff...

Not exactly jazz, not exactly pop. Every few years I reorganize my CD's (more like putting away the 400 CD's I haven't refiled since the last time I did a reorg), and I think I usually end up switching whatever section I have her in from the last time.

(She's in Jazz at the moment, and destined for my pop CD's by mid-2008 -- only to return to Jazz by 2010.)

Funny as hell, and musically quite a bit deeper than either she or these albums appear on the surface. :tup

• 1 year later...

I have her first one, Eric Mingus and Jonathan Sanborn are in the band (Charles & David's kids, respectively). Pretty funny lyrics, and I've always dug the over-the-top soul of Eric Mingus' vocals.

I've never quite figured her out, tho...she kind of does that Andy Warhol/Andy Kaufmann thing where she could be a talentless buffoon, or she could be a genius pretending to be a talentless buffoon. I take from the comments in this thread that most of you put her in the latter category. Help me out...what are the clues?

she's Michael Mantler's kid, too, I believe - and he's one weird nasty guy - I met him in Denmark some years ago and told him I knew Roswell Rudd, figuring they were old cronies - he said to me (and I quote exactly):

"Now why the hell would I care about Roswell Rudd?"

charming guy - no wonder Carla fell in love with him-

I never had the heart to tell Ros about this strange encounter -

she's Michael Mantler's kid, too, I believe - and he's one weird nasty guy - I met him in Denmark some years ago and told him I knew Roswell Rudd, figuring they were old cronies - he said to me (and I quote exactly):

Maybe he had enough of the name dropping, just couldn't take any more.

Maybe Mantler has problems controlling his bladder.

Guest Bill Barton

This is sort of a "drive-by" posting as I still don't have regular Internet access at home. Hey, I miss hanging out here, y'all.

Couldn't resist this thread though...

That show at the Montreal Jazz Festival in 1991 that she mentions in her bio (7/4 posted the link) was lots of fun and packed with interesting music too. She's even cuter in person and probably weirder as well (didn't get a chance to meet her.)

I believe that the late, lamented Arnold played contrabass sarrusophone.

sarrusophone.jpg

He had to sit on the stool in Karen's cell to reach the mouthpiece.

That Night Music clip is a hoot! I don't think that she really wanted to be good...