Ornette Coleman at the Carnegie Hall this Sunday.

Dmitry

Hey congrats. I am amazed you can get that good of a ticket this close to the concert. By the time I thought about it a week or so ago, I figured there weren't be any good seats left. That price is a bit steep, but hey as you said it is Ornette and I love Abby Lincoln too.

The key is to call them. If you use the web-site it gives you tickets at random.

At first I wanted to get a seat through their on-line box office, but it would only give me the ones on the sides. Once I called the clerk found a seat dead center in the "Prime Parquet" section.

If you're interested in going, you got to call now. Last year Ornette sold out Carnegie Hall.

This time he's appearing with two basses [Greg Cohen is one] and Denardo.

I must give due to my buddy Mandrill for pretty much making me buy the damn ticket today. I was going to wait till the last moment, as usually, but these are going like hot cakes.

Hope to see you there.

You can read a review of the show here: http://www.nytimes.com/2004/06/22/arts/music/22ORNE.html

I had never seen Ornette before, and have really taken to his music (or, his music has taken me) so the experience for me was amazing. His "program" was printed in an insert in the "playbill" (Ornette referred to it as the "bilboard") and consisted pf 10 songs: 1. air raid 2. song world 3. crying without tears 4. help is on the way 5. when a question can't be answered 6. city people 7. once only 8. atm 9. minor business and 10. those that know before it happens.

"Air Raid" sounded like a transcript of 9/11 and started off the concert better than I could have imagined. As the NY Times article says, the 1st half of the set was probably the most successful, but to me, it was all fascinating. The last tune seemed to take part of its melody from "city living" (i think that's the one.) I can only hope that we will all see the same song list on the back cover of a new Ornette album in the near future. The sole encore, "Lonely Woman" was more beautiful than words can say.

Abbey Lincoln was interesting, but I am not a big fan of jazz vocals. Again, I am still exploring the jazz world.

What disappointed me about the show was that it was not sold out AND people left the hall during Ornette's performance. Is this normal? Isn't an Ornette performance a rare gift nowadays? Did people come just to see Abbey Lincoln? Yes, Ornette and the band rec'd many standing ovations, but it was still sad to see people darting out between songs...

edski

You can read a review of the show here: http://www.nytimes.com/2004/06/22/arts/music/22ORNE.html

I had never seen Ornette before, and have really taken to his music (or, his music has taken me) so the experience for me was amazing. His "program" was printed in an insert in the "playbill" (Ornette referred to it as the "bilboard") and consisted pf 10 songs: 1. air raid 2. song world 3. crying without tears 4. help is on the way 5. when a question can't be answered 6. city people 7. once only 8. atm 9. minor business and 10. those that know before it happens.

"Air Raid" sounded like a transcript of 9/11 and started off the concert better than I could have imagined. As the NY Times article says, the 1st half of the set was probably the most successful, but to me, it was all fascinating. The last tune seemed to take part of its melody from "city living" (i think that's the one.) I can only hope that we will all see the same song list on the back cover of a new Ornette album in the near future. The sole encore, "Lonely Woman" was more beautiful than words can say.

Abbey Lincoln was interesting, but I am not a big fan of jazz vocals. Again, I am still exploring the jazz world.

What disappointed me about the show was that it was not sold out AND people left the hall during Ornette's performance. Is this normal? Isn't an Ornette performance a rare gift nowadays? Did people come just to see Abbey Lincoln? Yes, Ornette and the band rec'd many standing ovations, but it was still sad to see people darting out between songs...

edski

His live performances have been pretty rare since the 1960s. New recordings have become rather scarce as well. You are lucky, as I haven't seen him since 1986.

I didn't find Abbey Lincoln's half of the concert as interesting. I started feeling a splitting headache by the end of her set, but Ornette cured it with the first bar of his solo.

Re:people leaving. I don't blame them for doing so. Many came to hear Abbey Lincoln probably, especially black women, and it is still difficult for the non-dedicated to understand Ornette's music, as incomprehensible as it may sound to the cognoscenti. I was miffed at first when folks started heading for the doors, but to each his own.

It was one of the most amazing concerts I've ever been to, from the first note to the very last. Without sounding overly dramatic - a milestone in my life as a jazz fan.

The adrenalin was pumping through my veins like I was 15 again and about to kiss a girl for the first time.

Here are some photos I took that night.

ornette002.jpg

ornette003.jpg

ornette005.jpg

ornette010.jpg

ornette012.jpg

This one will be blown up to immense proportions and hung up on the wall at my place. I wouldn't be happier if I had a picture taken of me and Mozart.

ornette15.jpg

I saw this same group in Ann Arbor in March. They were spectacular. I really wish they would release some of this stuff. I tried going to Ornette's web site to bombard them with requests to release it but the only contact info is for booking them!

Guest ariceffron

what does ornette sound like today. what is his band like. i like that photo w/ the 2 bassists. i am down with 2 basses for sure. what was the music like. how does it relate to ornette live at the golden circle.