Paypal or no Paypal??

Do you like using Paypal??  

43 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm planning my 25th high school reunion and I'm considering using paypal on our class web site to allow people to pay for the reunion. We're scattered all over the US and this may make it easier than mailing a check.

I've visited the web site paypalsucks.com and nopaypal.com and read the horror stories there. Personally I haven't had any issues with them, other than now charging the same cost for using your checking/savings account as a credit card.

So:

do you like them? Why, or why not??

Can I create a payment setup where someone doesn't have to create an account to pay with a credit card?

Paypal is the only payment method that allows me to auction individual CDs in the US. A money order would cost $10 and takes two weeks to arrive.

For transactions within the EU (euro zone), I prefer bank transfers which cost $0.2 to the payer and nothing to the person that receives the money.

Edited by Claude

Paypal is the only payment method that allows me to auction individual CDs in the US. A money order would cost $10 and takes two weeks to arrive.

For transactions within the EU (euro zone), I prefer bank transfers which cost $0.2

I fully agree.

Euro bank transfers are free in the Netherlands.

I can't imagine why, for these purposes, your classmates wouldn't prefer Paypal payment if it were available.

Unless, that is, its really your 50th Reunion, and you don't anticipate that anyone will know what the hell Paypal is anyway.

And judging by our own Christiern, people in that age cohort are online, too ...

I've used PayPal ever since I started using E-bay, way before E-bay bought them out. Probably 60-65 transactions give or take. Never a problem. Of course you're always worried about someone hacking into their system and getting ahold of your credit card and/or bank account numbers, but that's the price you pay to buy on the Net. And you do occasionally get e-mails from creeps trying to get your personal financial information and claim to be with PayPal, but a word to the wise in that regard should be sufficient. Not PayPal's fault anyway.

I was wondering something else. Do most of you use credit cards or have withdrawls made directly from your bank account?. PayPal certainly prefers the latter.

Up over and out.

I don't use PayPal anymore. Once they informed me that if I wanted to keep using their service, I'd have to link a bank account rather than a credit card, I quit. I don't mind linking a credit care, but my bank account? Sorry...ain't gonna do it. My stubborn attitude hurts me more than them, I'll admit. Just in CDs Hans sells if nothing else...

I refuse to give Paypal my bank account numbers, and never have. Once I used up the $500 spending limit (or maybe it was $1,000, can't remember), they tried to put the squeeze on me when I got down below $100. I ignored them, and then suddenly - without any explaination of any sort - my credit card spending limit got bumped back up to $1,000 again.

My threory is they want you to use you bank account, but if you won't give it to them - they'd still like to have you as a customer, even if you only pay via credit card.

Moose. Spend away, and when your spending limit gets down real low, see if it doesn't pop back up again.

PS: I haven't burned through my second $1,000 yet, to test my theory a second time. (But I am down to a little less than $400, so the time will come, one of these days.)

I don't use PayPal anymore.  Once they informed me that if I wanted to keep using their service, I'd have to link a bank account rather than a credit card, I quit.  I don't mind linking a credit care, but my bank account?  Sorry...ain't gonna do it.  My stubborn attitude hurts me more than them, I'll admit.  Just in CDs Hans sells if nothing else...

If you send someone a check, they have your banking information too.

You can always open a Washington Mutual or other free checking account and have paypal link that checking account with you.

I have about $2 in my Washington Mutual account.

Edited by Tjazz

Dan- it *really* is the 25th- I'm shocked to say even that!! I can't believe it went that fast!!

We've creating a special checking account for the reunion and will link to it to Paypal. I suggested to have a mirror savings account so when the money arrives in the checking- electronically transfer it to the savings, so it's one step removed.

Paypal has been very convenient for me and I believe it will be convenient for the attendees who live far away- to pay for their ticket. One lives in Belgium and one in London- they are planning on attending.

I refuse to give Paypal my bank account numbers, and never have. Once I used up the $500 spending limit (or maybe it was $1,000, can't remember), they tried to put the squeeze on me when I got down below $100. I ignored them, and then suddenly - without any explaination of any sort - my credit card spending limit got bumped back up to $1,000 again.

My threory is they want you to use you bank account, but if you won't give it to them - they'd still like to have you as a customer, even if you only pay via credit card.

Moose. Spend away, and when your spending limit gets down real low, see if it doesn't pop back up again.

PS: I haven't burned through my second $1,000 yet, to test my theory a second time. (But I am down to a little less than $400, so the time will come, one of these days.)

See what happens when you hit $2000...

(Gad, I spend too much on jazz, obviously!) :lol:

You can always open a Washington Mutual or other free checking account and have paypal link that checking account with you.

Yeah, but I don't mind if they have my info; I just don't feel like giving PayPal free access to my account. I trust (to continue the example) Hans; I don't trust a faceless corporate entity like PayPal.

But your idea of a checking account just for PayPal is something I hadn't thought of before; I'll have to consider that.

Yeah, but I don't mind if they have my info; I just don't feel like giving PayPal free access to my account. I trust (to continue the example) Hans; I don't trust a faceless corporate entity like PayPal.

But your idea of a checking account just for PayPal is something I hadn't thought of before; I'll have to consider that.

Errr... Thank you :winky:

Once was enough. I found the process intrusive and I don't like feeling like I'm on trial. Thats too bad because their have been some paypal only cds sold here that I would have kiked to had but because I found the first time so unpleasant I will not do it again.

"Unpleasant?" After your account's set up, it takes about two clicks to make a payment. And Ebay's linked directly to it. It's quicker than addressing an evelope and licking a stamp. Have you tried it recently?

As somebody who buys on eBay, and lives in Tokyo, Paypal has been a Godsend. I have used them for numerous transactions over the last four years and never had a problem. Also, as RDK says, paying with Paypal could not be simpler, a couple of clicks and you are finished.