Which Lee Morgan CD/LP Are You Enjoying Right Now?

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

How is that last self-titled album on Blue Note? There are a couple of copies of this on vinyl at a local shop that I've been tempted to pick up.

I like it a lot myself, but it's definitely a new direction for Lee, sure wish he'd had a chance to pursue it...

Got Delightfulee playing at the moment...

How is that last self-titled album on Blue Note? There are a couple of copies of this on vinyl at a local shop that I've been tempted to pick up.

I like it a lot myself, but it's definitely a new direction for Lee, sure wish he'd had a chance to pursue it...

Got Delightfulee playing at the moment...

I sure agree with the Moose on this one. I would have loved to see where Lee would have taken the music. Frankly I really like the Last Sessions cd but when I play it I usually think about what might have been.

Had the Rajah spinning a lot here lately thanks to another board member.

I just picked this up used on CD (titled "The Last Session"). Really liked it despite the e-piano. Would have been fascinating to have seen where he would have taken this had he lived.

• 1 month later...

Infinity, baby!!!

How is it? I had to go look that one up -- I had never heard of it! Is it OOP?

Yeah, it's sweet, and very OOP. If you can find one, it's worth it. Mogie, Jackie McLean, Billy Higgins, Larry Willis (VASTLY underrated, IMHO) and Cranshaw (I think, going by memory here); this lineup lives up to its star quality.

I just happened to snag one still sealed a few months back. And a good thing I made a CDR backup of it, cuz it broke when I traded it to a friend.

Charisma (TOCJ) is on over here!

How is that one? I guess it's worth picking up the TOCJ over the domestic on this one, ya?

:tup

I really like it, and I'd agree that it is underrated. I picked up the TOCJ a few years ago when I was on a big Cedar Walton kick, and I wasn't disappointed.

I've never heard the domestic version, but the TOCJ sounds mighty fine to me!

Groovy! I’ll have to see if I can find that one (the TOCJ that is!)

Curiosity lead me to search out the recordings that feature Lee Morgan, Jackie McLean, AND Billy Higgins. There’s a lot more than I realized:

BST 84312 Charisma / Lee Morgan

BST 84335 The Sixth Sense / Lee Morgan

LT 994 Consequence / Jackie McLean

LT 1091 Infinity / Lee Morgan

BST 84222 Cornbread / Lee Morgan

BST 84270 Easterly Winds / Jack Wilson

At this point, the only one remaining to be re-released is Consequence. Wonder if that will be Conn’d anytime soon?