'ello Guv'nor, Wot's THIS?

JSngry

From Dusty Groove (The BASTARDS!) http://www.dustygroove.com/jazzcd.htm#81626

adams_peppe_pepperkne_101b.jpg

Pepper Adams & Jimmy Knepper -- Pepper-Knepper Quintet

Metrojazz/Fresh Sound (Spain), 1958 Condition: New Copy

A gem of a session from both players -- and one of the long-lost sides on the short-lived Metrojazz label from MGM! Adams and Knepper head up a soulful group that features Wynton Kelly on piano (and a bit of organ!), Doug Watkins on bass, and Elvin Jones on drums. The real charm, though, is from Adams' solos, which are in that perfect gutbuckety mode that he could hit when he wanted to -- a deep, dark drink the best tone the bari could offer, never getting clumsy at all, thanks to some lively rhythm playing. It's another one of those amazing sets recorded on a single date in NYC! Titles include "Minor Catastrophe", "Riverside Drive", All Too Soon", "Beaubien, "Primrose Path", and "Adams In The Apple".

I'm on a budget right now :( , so I need to know - is this one truly "great", "pretty damn good", or "other" (please specify).

All carefully considered replies will be equally carefully considered.

Thank you, and drive friendly!

Somewhere I have a cdr of the lp of this and must say it is pretty darned good. It's like an Adams session more than a Knepper session to me in that it's looser blowsier than the Knepper led sessions tend to be. . . which is not a bad thing in any way. Now you've managed to live a full life DESPITE not having this so far, and acquiring this won't in any way change that status. You could acquire it and go "Ahhhh. . . " several times and sometimes that is JUST what is NEEDED. (And this could be one of those times).

It's very good. Not a can't-live-without-it session but just short of being great. I have had a Japanese LP reissue of it for a long time and enjoy the combination of the two principals. Sound is excellent as befits Japanese reissues. Not sure the same applies to that FreshSound reissue. I had my share of disappointments with those...

That one is tempting me also. In addition, does anyone know the quality of the recording on this one?

Lee Morgan -- Unforgettable Lee Live At Birdland . . . CD . . . $18.99  (Item: 351999)

Fresh Sound (Spain), 1960 (2CD) Condition: New Copy    View Cart   

A fitting title for this scorching set tracks led by the incomparable Lee Morgan -- captured over several dates throughout 1960 at the legendary Birdland club -- and backed up by Art Blakey and his Jazz Messengers! Nothing but legends on the stage here -- with Morgan's trumpet out front of Blakey on the kit, Bobby Timmons on piano, Wayne Shorter on tenor, and Jymie Merrit on bass. The tracks on the first disc were recorded on three dates in the spring and summer of '60, and they include "The Chess Players", "This Here", "The Midget", "Nlly Bly", "Dat Dere", "Justice", Night In Tunisia" and more. Disc two features numbers recorded in the summer and fall of the same year, and it includes "Lester Left Town" with Lester Young sitting in on piano, "It's Only A Paper Moon", "This Here", Sakeena's Vision", "Koko's Waltz" and more.

I'm just thrilled to see anything on Metrojazz get out because it gives me hope that we might see a reissue of the extremely rare Gigi Gryce quartet (with overdubbing) album - which had the world premiere of Benny Golson's Blues March.

Others on the label here:

http://www.jazzdiscography.com/Labels/metrojzz.htm

Mike

Wow - thanks for the link Mike. I see a very interesting Sonny Rollins/Teddy Edwards live date that I have never heard about. Looks like two separate dates on each side of an lp. Doesn't Verve have access to this stuff?