OJC Jazz In Hollywood series

TheMusicalMarine

Good day to all of you.

I'm looking for some feedback on the following Jazz In Hollywood titles, on the Original Jazz Classics label:

Herbie Harper

Harry Babasin/Bob Enevoldsen

Steve White Quartet

Virgil Gonsalves/Steve White

Bud Shank/Lou Levy

Right now Tower is having a 25% off sale for all OJC titles, so I thought I'd pick these up if the recommendations are positive.

Thanks

Since I enjoyed the OJC Steve White, I did not hesitate to get the 'Jazz Mad' Liberty LP when I found a copy a couple of years ago. Turned out to be a bit of a disappointment. The session never seems to take off. Don't think it was ever reissued.

If you have to get one, the OJC reissue is the one to chase.

To me, the Fresh Sound 3-CD boxset is much more worth getting than the Fantasy issue. It includes a beautiful 84-page booklet with many many rare and unseen pictures from the recording sessions, remembrances by most of the players (Bud Shank, Herbie Harper, Shorty Rodgers, Harry Babasin, Lou Levy...), all the original cover art and liner notes, and more. This is a real labor of love by Jordi Pujol, one of the greatest fan of West Coast Jazz, who made that set with the collaboration of Roy Harte and Harry Babasin before they died. Fantasy later licensed the musical material but didn't accomplished the work Pujol done. Exact title of the boxset is :"The Complete Nocturne Recordings, Jazz in Hollywood Series". Have a look > here < to learn more.

Edited by Vincent, Paris