Art Blakey

Noj

• 4 years later...

Can anyone recommend the Bethlehem date, 'Hard Drive'? I have an opportunity to pick the Avenue/Beth Archives edition from 1999, but they're asking $28 for it. Amazon sellers want over $70 for it. Is this date worth $28 smackers? Or should I keep on waiting for a cheaper one (have never seen one for sale yet).

Thanks,

HG

Can anyone recommend the Bethlehem date, 'Hard Drive'? I have an opportunity to pick the Avenue/Beth Archives edition from 1999, but they're asking $28 for it. Amazon sellers want over $70 for it. Is this date worth $28 smackers? Or should I keep on waiting for a cheaper one (have never seen one for sale yet).

Thanks,

HG

Interesting date. Got it from a board member in the last few months for $8.

Thanks,

HG

Well, I'm very fond of that roarin' hard bop session :tup $28 (£14) is not an unusual price here, but it probably sounds a lot worse on your side of the pond :)

Thanks,

HG

Well, I'm very fond of that roarin' hard bop session :tup $28 (£14) is not an unusual price here, but it probably sounds a lot worse on your side of the pond :)

Grab the Charly Blakey/Roach "The Hard Drive" it sounds great, includes Hard Drive album AND the "MAX" album (with Mobley) and the sound is swell. Amazon sellers have it as cheap as $4.02.

Thanks,

HG

Grab the Charly Blakey/Roach "The Hard Drive" it sounds great, includes Hard Drive album AND the "MAX" album (with Mobley) and the sound is swell. Amazon sellers have it as cheap as $4.02.

Didn't know about that, thanks!

• 5 years later...

Anybody know anything about this album? I just noticed it on eMusic. The label is ID'd as "Jazz Dynamics / The Orchard"

There are 54 tracks on 5 "disks" for $6.49 (!!)

600x600.jpg

Superficially, and without doing any in-depth research, it looks to me like a ripoff of Mosaic's now out-of-print "Complete Blue Note Art Blakey 1960 Jazz Messengers" set with one cd missing.

gregmo

It includes the same Blue Note studio sessions as the Mosaic. In addition it also includes the Impulse album Jazz Messengers!!!!! with Curtis Fuller added to the same group. After that Lee Morgan would be replaced by Freddie Hubbard.

What it does not include compared to the Mosaic is the Meet You At The Jazz Corner Of The World live set. Although it oddly adds four of those live tracks at the end as "bonus tracks", probably just because there was space left on the last CD to add something.

And yes, it looks very "Andorran".

These are the kind of sets that it's hard to steer non jazz savvy people away from. Rhapsody, I went to listen to "Testifyin'" by Larry Young (since I don't own it), and a whole bunch of repackaged bootleg Prestige/New Jazz titles show up, and a horrible needle drop of "Unity" among the legit releases.

GREAT photo

Agreed. Haven't seen that shot before.

I didn't think to compare it to the Mosaic. That doesn't have "Jazz Corner", either, since it's a studio-only set.

Not true. The box contains:

Big Beat

Night in Tunisia

Like Someone in Love

Meet You at the Jazz Corner of the World, Vols. 1 & 2

Freedom Rider

Roots & Herbs

Witch Doctor

Edited by JETman

GREAT photo

I didn't think to compare it to the Mosaic. That doesn't have "Jazz Corner", either, since it's a studio-only set.

Big Beat

Night in Tunisia

Like Someone in Love

Freedom Rider

Roots & Herbs

Witch Doctor

I have all of those sans "Big Beat" as single disc reissues (RVG or otherwise). When the Mosaic was around (which I wanted so badly in high school, I chose the Jimmy Smith over it, glad for that decision) more than half that material wasn't available domestically IIRC. "Like Someone in Love" was briefly repressed in the Collector's Choice series, and "Big Beat" and "Night in Tunisia" were the only catalog mainstays. I got "Freedom Rider" right when it was reissued in '98.

GREAT photo

Big Beat

Night in Tunisia

Like Someone in Love

Freedom Rider

Roots & Herbs

Witch Doctor

Yeah, right - it DOES have "Meet You...".

I guess I was thinking of some other set(s).