Run to your Local News Stand!!!

apaman

July Month of Downbeat is a must for any jazz lover, they are celebrating 70 years, and have a special on Our Heros, today's stars on the legends who most inspired them, pretty much sub grouping each instrument and having a brief description about the most influential artist to those categories. Also original reviews of classic albums, lots of photos!! The whole magazine has nothing but GIANTS (still can't understand why Eric Dolphy isn't featured what's up with that?!?!!?), and to top it all off the Blindfold test is Ornette Coleman from Jan 7 1960 hehe the begining of the new revolution!

Just grabbed mine today, they just placed them up and they were gone within minutes, on the cover it says limited edition, but I would think any newsstand having it. It's a regular month issue, nothing as a stand alone issue.

Ralph

It's a good issue. I still subscribe to DB...even though it's increasingly part of a promotion machine.

I have a suspicion that this is the issue that Phil Woods was contacted about a few months ago. To summarize that scene...Phil Woods was contacted about doing an interview and naming his main influence. He did so - named his teacher and credited his teacher with being by far the greatest influence on his jazz playing. DB contacted Phil and asked him to name someone well known. Phil got po'd at the hypocrisy involved and fired off a few salvos at DB.

It's a good issue. I still subscribe to DB...even though it's increasingly part of a promotion machine.

I have a suspicion that this is the issue that Phil Woods was contacted about a few months ago. To summarize that scene...Phil Woods was contacted about doing an interview and naming his main influence. He did so - named his teacher and credited his teacher with being by far the greatest influence on his jazz playing. DB contacted Phil and asked him to name someone well known. Phil got po'd at the hypocrisy involved and fired off a few salvos at DB.

Nevertheless, Phil is in there, with his piece about his earliest music teacher. Nice little article really. I know that DB wanted to have major jazz figures of today commenting on major jazz figures that influenced them. Phil's piece doesn't quite fit that parameter, I guess that's what the controversy was about, but to Phil's and DB's credit, they buried their differences and the piece got run. Interesting issue, worth getting.