Artists Who Should Have Had a Mosaic...

So who should have gotten the "Mosaic" treatment but have not? I'm thinking especially of Blue Note artists, but all suggestions welcome. First on my list is Bobby Hutcherson. Why he never got the Mosaic treatment is beyond me. I think there is still enough unreleased or OOP material to justify a Hutcherson Mosaic, or at least a Mosaic Select. What think you?

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I think BN people are pretty well-covered, although I would love a set covering the 5000 series. Here is my list, divided into 3 parts, in terms of importance:

Earl Hines

Artie Shaw

Benny Carter

Ben Webster

Hank Jones

Ahmad Jamal

Al Cohn (esp. RCA)

Zoot Sims

Martial Solal

John Lewis

Wardell Gray

Bill Perkins

Charlie Mariano

Jack Montrose & Bob Gordon

Barney Wilen

And I would love the following label sets:

Dawn (Sims, Cohn, etc.)

Storyville (Konitz, Bechet, etc.)

Vogue (Monk, Roach, Bechet, Byas, Reinhardt, Renaud, Wilen, Solal, Jaspar, Brookmeyer, etc.)

Come to think of it, I'd just love a Vogue set of some expatriate and visiting Americans and French musicians influenced by them.

Am I the only one who partly regrets the introduction of the Selects? It seems that the real Mosaic sets have slowed down considerably. It's June, and no new complete set yet this year!!

Am I the only one who partly regrets the introduction of the Selects? It seems that the real Mosaic sets have slowed down considerably. It's June, and no new complete set yet this year!!

Nope, you're not the only one. Seems as though the Selects are somewhat replacing the regular sets.

Am I the only one who partly regrets the introduction of the Selects?  It seems that the real Mosaic sets have slowed down considerably.  It's June, and no new complete set yet this year!!

Nope, you're not the only one. Seems as though the Selects are somewhat replacing the regular sets.

I wonder if Cuscuna has had a more difficult time in finding good material for Mosaic Complete sets recently? He's issued a lot of material over the years. There is a limited amount of jazz to release. Consider obtaining the license for unreleased material (it must be available and affordable), finding the complete works, making certain it's a product that will sell, judging whether the material is imporant (the Blue Mitchell Mosaic stopped at 1967 because, according to the Mosaic liner notes, the Mitchell material after 1967 wasn't worth releasing), and signing Malcolm Addey to do the remastering. There are a lot of things to consider before the release of a Mosaic Complete set. The more music Mosaic releases, the less there is to choose from.

The Mosaic Selects are less expensive to create and less expensive to purchase. Yes, it makes sense that Mosaic may be reducing the production of Complete sets with the addition of the Select sets. It may be a way to keep the jazz flowing while Cuscuna figures a way to release more Complete material. I've always thought the Duke Pearson Select was more of a place holder than a genuine Mosaic release. Some of the Grachan Moncur Select is really Jackie McLean material. The Shank/Cooper is a mish-mash of music, as if Mosaic was 'reaching' to make that material flow together. I don't own the Liebman/Beirach Select but, from what I've read, it seems like an odd set of music for Mosaic to release.

HORACE SILVER!

There must be plenty of unreleased material from his various groups to fill a set!

Very true!

Maybe a Select culled from Silver's own archives would be cool (it seems he does have his own archive containing loads of unreleased stuff - so he said at least in that issue of Downbeat with him on the cover).

The Vogue box might be too big. There was, however, an excellent series of CDs by artists such as Lucky Thompson, Martial Solal, Bobby Jaspar, Barney Wilen, Roy Eldridge, Zoot Sims, Monk, Duke Jordan, Henri Renaud, André Hodeir, Jimmy Raney, Hawkins/Hodges, as well as several compilation discs collecting shorter sessions by Erroll Garner, Arnold Ross, Al Haig, Lee Konitz, Frank Foster, Roy Haynes, Hans Koller, Lars Gullin and others (as well as several discs I forgot to mention). Loads of beautiful music, indeed, but definitively too much for one boxed set.

The Dawn, though, might be cool (but then they're all available at Freshsound's in pretty decent issues, containing alternate takes and rather good sound, too).

Chuck, are you serious about Stenson? That could make a nice ECM boxed set (they did that Jarrett one, why not one collecting some Stenson! But I guess we dream...)

Then, of course, I agree with lots of the musicians Bol lists - Carter, Jones, Lewis (how big would an Atlantic set be?), Webster, Jamal, Gordon/Montrose (would fit into a Select, and as they're doing lots of West Coast Selects chances wouldn't be that bad, I think! Drop them a mail!), and Bill Perkins (another nice Pacific Select?).

ubu

Complete Anthony Braxton on Arista.

Oliiver Nelson on Flying Dutchman (all leader dates plus selected arranger dates),

Arthur Blythe on Columbia. Eventually. And remastered - PLEASE.

Don Ellis on Pacific Jazz and/or Columbia (kinda dicey on this one).

Complete Chico Hamilton with Charles Lloyd.

Complete Sonny Rollins RCA, with all the unreleased stuff, especially the live stuff. Maybe after Sonny dies (I'm in no hurry).

Complete 1964 Mingus European tour. Maybe after Sue dies...

I like a lot of the suggestions here.

I'd also like to say that I personally want to see a Una Mae Carlisle set. There's Columbia sides hiding in there, and no one has done her Soundie sides correctly on cd. . . and I want the damned booklet!

. . . and I want the damned booklet!

:lol:

I'd like to get some Basie, in the best case they would be:

- Complete Vocalion/Columbia 1938-1952 Recordings

- Complete Verve 1952-1966 (?) Recordings

- Complete "Blazing Saddle" Years ( ;) )

And how about a nice Mosaic set of the Decca and RCA sides? New Addey-remasterings, and, HELLYEAH - I WANT THE DAMNED BOOKLET!

ubu :w

Then how about a decent and complete collection of the early Decca sides by Lunceford? And how about a complete reissue of the Columbia sides (I have the 4LP set, but that's quite old and not in the best shape)? And yeah, I want that damned booklet, too!

ubu

No doubt a herculean liscencing effort would be required...but someone should bundle up all of the Joe Gordon material into a nice little package -- pluck the tracks from 'West Coast Days'....bring in several tracks on the 'Blakey Featuring Art Blakey' disc that didn't make it to the 'Introducing Joe Gordon' re-issue and then add in some freshly re-mastered 'Manne @ The Blackhawk' stuff, etc.. :w

I'd REALLY like to see a Complete Staples Singers on VeeJay set from somebody. It's some close, but aside from Opal Nation's copy-protected bootles (sic!) on Pewburner, it's been no cigar.

Mosiac needs to do some Gospel sets, just for the musical importance of the stuff. There IS a market, and so much of this stuff is getting ignored, especially the Peacock catalog, which is as ripe (and as ignored) as any jazz artist/label you can think of.

Hey - they've done R&B sets, and the stuff I'm talking about is just as relevant to the overall American jazz experience as that stuff is, maybe even moreso. If "jazz" is the city, then Gospel is the town you pass through on one side of the city limits, and R&B is the town you pass through on the other side.

Why should Mosaic not present the full journey?

I'm with you on the Staples Singers Jim, definitely. I've heard just dribs but love what I have heard. POPS!

Weiz, the Blackhawk stuff. . . I don't think Mosaic is ever going to be able to dip into the Fantasy catalog but I'd like to be wrong.

How about Coleman Hawkins? I wouldn't know what exactly, but he'd certainly deserve a box! I have the 4CD Mercury set, and that's a fantastic one! Maybe some "companion" set to that could be done? A set of his early years, collecting his leader dates for all the labels he recorded for?

ubu

Freddie Roach!!!! :tup:tup:tup:tup:tup

I was just thinking the other day that Freddie's probably gonna rate a Select soon. Too much OOP BN material. And I don't have a copy of Brown Sugar... hello, Mosaic? Are you listening?

Down to Earth, Mo' Greens, Good Move, BS and All That's Good are certain to fit on 3 discs, right?