Favorite cartoon DVD box sets?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My (almost) 3 year old and I have enjoyed those sets also. :D

A couple DVDs that I'm really happy about are the two volumes that have been released of the old SPEED RACER cartoons. It's really weird watching these same cartoons with my son that I loved when I was his age.

A few of my other DVD favorites have been the KING OF THE HILL and SIMPSONS sets.

I've been hanging on to my laserdisc player for the day when I can transfer my Tex Avery box set to DVD. :g

I am quite happy with my Simpsons and Family Guy DVD boxed sets. Eventually, I will pick up the Looney Tunes material, and I would LOVE to see the complete unedited Tex Avery cartoons released in the U.S. (apparently, the Tex Avery set released in France last year was edited).

Edited by Edward

I've been hanging on to my laserdisc player for the day when I can transfer my Tex Avery box set to DVD. :g

Yes, and when you do, PLEASE let us know! I will UPS Next Day a stack of recordable DVDs to you!

Can't believe none of Tex's cartoons are available on DVD!

My favorites are the aforementioned Looney Tunes box, as well as the Complete Goofy that came out a couple years ago. I'm looking forward to the next volume of Donald Duck cartoons that oughta be coming out soon. IMHO, he really hit his stride in the 40's (as did a lot of cartoons).

Its too bad the Disney box sets are limited edition, the black and white mickey set goes for a lot of money now. I only got a chance to get the Sillly Symphonies box set and it is great.

Also been thinking about getting the new disney war themed/WWII box, any thoughts on it?

SV, wal mart stores seem to have 4-5 different titles for around $25 bucks each...didn't realise so many were out of print already! Haven't seen the WWll set, but the few Disney WW2 cartoons I have seen thru the years have been truly amazing!

The 4-CD Looney Tunes box already mentioned is nice, though I hope they put out a volume II with all the good stuff left off the first one (several of the unincluded cartoons are actually MENTIONED in the commentary.) Just got the Simpsons Season 4 box, gotta love those. I'm thinking of getting some of the Futurama sets; while it was never quite as good as The Simpsons, it had its moments. Also, Kimba the White Lion---what a great series that was.

• 3 months later...

Far and away my favorite set is the Futurama set. I actually do prefer this to the Simpsons (particularly current Simpsons as opposed to Seasons 3-7 Simpons).

Anyway, I was going to ramble on about more sets, but I think I will just post some news about upcoming sets. Apparently, Tripping the Rift (a vulgar but funny spoof of sci fi shows airing on Sci Fi channel) is coming to DVD. I taped a bunch of these, then just couldn't keep up. Sci Fi also renewed it for another season.

Stuff from Cartoon Network's Adult Swim. I don't know if anyone watches this. I am kind of disappointed that all the classic cartoons have gone to Boomerang, instead of airing on CN. I don't get Boomerang. Now it happens that I don't like a lot of the new CN cartoons, but I am heartened that there is finally a new batch of cartoons that isn't entirely about selling merchandize. There have always been commercial tie-ins from the early days of Disney to today's Powerpuff Girls. But in my mind, from the mid 1980s through the mid 1990s, Saturday cartoons were only about toys -- GI Joe, Transformers, then Pokemon and today's Yu-Gi-Oh (which CN does show). I think there are finally some decent alternatives for kids where there is some merchandizing but that isn't the raison d'etre of the show. But I don't watch most or any of these cartoons (though the one with the guy whose hot rod got fused with a battle robot is hysterical). I do occasionally watch Adult Swim (mostly because they show Futurama and Family Guy).

If I am traveling, I might watch the rest of the schedule (Sea Lab 2021, Harvey Birdman Attorney at Law, Aqua Teen Hunger Force, Space Ghost Coast to Coast, Brak Show). I don't even like most of them, but I am fascinated by them. I think they are the cartoon equivalent of crack. What I appreciate about them the most, is that they are truly surreal mash-ups of mediocre Hanna Barbera cartoons (well not Aqua Teen). Where else are you going to see them blow up Sea Lab at the end of each episode? I find it refreshing that a network would show such cracked cartoons. That said, curiously the only show I actually like of the bunch is Harvey Birdman, which is about the least popular of all of them. Nonetheless, it is coming to DVD in Spring 2005, along with the Brak show and Space Ghost season 3. Sealab 2021 should be coming out sooner than that (probably late fall 2004).

Y'all know there's another Looney Tunes Golden Collection coming out? This could be even better than the first collection! Check out this lineup, from amazon.com:

Disc #1: Bugs Bunny

1. "The Big Snooze" (Bugs Bunny, Elmer Fudd; 1946)

2. "Broom-Stick Bunny" (Bugs Bunny, Witch Hazel; 1956)

3. "Bugs Bunny Rides Again" (Bugs Bunny, Yosemite Sam; 1948)

4. "Bunny Hugged" (Bugs Bunny, Crusher; 1951)

5. "French Rarebit" (Bugs Bunny, Louis, Francois; 1951)

6. "Gorilla My Dreams" (Bugs Bunny, Gruesome Gorilla; 1948)

7. "The Hare-Brained Hypnotist" (Bugs Bunny, Elmer Fudd; 1942)

8. "Hare Conditioned" (Bugs Bunny; 1945)

9. "The Heckling Hare" (Bugs Bunny, Willoughby; 1941)

10. "Little Red Riding Rabbit" (Bugs Bunny, Big Bad Wolf; 1944)

11. "Tortoise Beats Hare" (Bugs Bunny, Cecil Turtle; 1941)

12. "Rabbit Transit" (Bugs Bunny, Cecil Turtle; 1947)

13. "Slick Hare" (Bugs Bunny, Elmer Fudd; 1947)

14. "Baby Buggy Bunny" (Bugs Bunny, Baby-Faced Finster; 1954)

15. "Hyde and Hare" (Bugs Bunny, Dr. Jekyll; 1955)

Disc #2: Road Runner and Wile E. Coyote and Friends

1. "Beep, Beep!" (Road Runner, Wile E. Coyote; 1952)

2. "Going! Going! Gosh!" (Road Runner, Wile E. Coyote; 1952)

3. "Zipping Along" (Road Runner, Wile E. Coyote; 1953)

4. "Stop, Look, and Hasten" (Road Runner, Wile E. Coyote; 1954)

5. "Ready, Set, Zoom!" (Road Runner, Wile E. Coyote; 1955)

6. "Guided Muscle" (Road Runner, Wile E. Coyote; 1955)

7. "Gee Whiz-z-z-z!" (Road Runner, Wile E. Coyote; 1956)

8. "There They Go-Go-Go!" (Road Runner, Wile E. Coyote; 1956)

9. "Scrambled Aches" (Road Runner, Wile E, Coyote; 1957)

10. "Zoom and Bored" (Road Runner, Wile E. Coyote; 1957)

11. "Whoa Be-Gone!" (Road Runner, Wile E. Coyote; 1958)

12. "Cheese Chasers" (Claude Cat, Hubie, Bertie; 1951)

13. "The Dover Boys at Pimento University or 'The Rivals of Roquefort Hall'" (1942)

14. "Mouse Wreckers" (Claude Cat, Hubie, Bertie; 1948)

15. "A Bear For Punishment" (Three Bears; 1951)

Disc #3: Sylvester and Tweety and Friends

1. "Bad Ol' Putty Tat" (Tweety, Sylvester; 1949)

2. "All Abir-r-rd" (Tweety, Sylvester; 1950)

3. "Room and Bird" (Tweety, Sylvester, Granny; 1951)

4. "Tweet Tweet Tweety" (Tweety, Sylvester; 1951)

5. "Gift Wrapped" (Tweety, Sylvester, Granny, Hector; 1952)

6. "Ain't She Tweet" (Tweety, Sylvester, Granny; 1952)

7. "A Bird in a Guilty Cage" (Tweety, Sylvester; 1952)

8. "Snow Business" (Tweety, Sylvester, Granny; 1953)

9. "Tweetie Pie" (Tweety, Sylvester; 1947)

10. "Kitty Kornered" (Porky Pig, Sylvester; 1946)

11. "Baby Bottleneck" (Daffy Duck, Porky Pig; 1946)

12. "Old Glory" (Porky Pig; 1939)

13. "The Great Piggy Bank Robbery" (Daffy Duck; 1946)

14. "Duck Soup to Nuts" (Daffy Duck, Porky Pig; 1944)

15. "Porky in Wackyland" (Porky Pig; 1938)

Disc #4: All-Stars

1. "Back Alley Op-Roar" (Sylvester, Elmer Fudd; 1948)

2. "Book Revue" (Daffy Duck; 1946)

3. "A Corny Concerto" (Bugs Bunny, Elmer Fudd, Porky Pig; 1943)

4. "Have You Got Any Castles?" (1938)

5. "Hollywood Steps Out" (1941)

6. "I Love to Singa" (Owl Jolson; 1936)

7. "Katnip Kollege" (Johnny Cat; 1938)

8. "The Hep Cat" (1942)

9. "The Three Little Bops" (Big Bad Wolf; 1957)

10. "One Froggy Evening" (Michigan J. Frog; 1955)

11. "Rhapsody Rabbit" (Bugs Bunny; 1946)

12. "Show Biz Bugs" (Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck; 1957)

13. "Stage Door Cartoon" (Bugs Bunny, Elmer Fudd; 1944)

14. "What's Opera, Doc?" (Bugs Bunny, Elmer Fudd; 1957)

15. "You Ought to Be in Pictures" (Daffy Duck, Porky Pig; 1940)

I took out the special extras, to save space. It can be viewed at the link above!

Needless to say, I CAN'T WAIT!!!! :excited::excited::excited:

I am a huge fan of Adult Swim! ATHF is my favorite but I like Sealab 2021 and Harvery Birdman as well. They are completely insane. I love all the musical references in ATHF.

Futurama is pretty damn funny as well. Are they actually making new episodes of this or are they just re-runs from Fox? It would be a shame if they are not.

My brother turned me onto Invader Zim. Has anyone here seen these cartoons? Totally wacky and funny as hell!

Futurama is pretty damn funny as well.  Are they actually making new episodes of this or are they just re-runs from Fox?  It would be a shame if they are not.

My brother turned me onto Invader Zim.  Has anyone here seen these cartoons?  Totally wacky and funny as hell!

I've heard of Invader Zim, but haven't watched it. It's good, huh? Maybe I'll grab it for when my kid is a little older (at least that's what I'd tell the wife).

CN only shows reruns of Futurama. New episodes of Futurama are kind of up in the air but unlikely. The team would definitely like to do more, CN would like to order new ones, but it cost so much money, they simply can't afford it, even if Fox relinquished the rights (which they probably would not do). Barring a change in Fox programming, there probably will not be more Futurama. There is some chance that Groening could pull off a Futurama movie. Anyway, I've done my bit by signing the petition (to bring it back) and buying whatever merchandise I could to show support. I've even got Futurama beer coasters! And Futurama Xmas ornaments! And a wind-up walking robot! Well, you got the picture ...

Edited by ejp626

My wife got me the Sealab 2021 box for my birthday, and I love it. It's not really for kids, but it is one of the funniest things I've ever seen. My favorite episodes are "Happy Cake" and "Der Dieb" (the latter is not in the first season, unfortunately). Highly recommended. :tup:tup:tup