Favorite cartoon DVD box sets?

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My brother turned me onto Invader Zim.  Has anyone here seen these cartoons?  Totally wacky and funny as hell!

I was a huge fan of Invader Zim! (My kids liked it too.) So of course they cancelled it.

Inspired by b-3er, I put Zim in my Netflix queue, and the first volume just showed up. It is indeed hysterical. I do see why it wasn't a perfect match for Nick' tho, since some of the episodes are actually a bit much for kids (like where all the organs are sucked out of the students). Anyway, brilliant insanity. I might even pre-order this set that has all 3 volumes of the cartoon, a bonus disc, a toy and a cool house to store it all in. I think I read that the Christmas episode is still edited, but not sure about that.

Invader Zim pre-order

What the heck, people? How could this discussion NOT include Jonny Quest? I recently watched all four discs (renting from Netflix), and in some ways it is better than how I remembered it. This was one of the best drawn, best written cartoons of all time. And the original 60's Spiderman series was kitchy but fun.

I want to get the Wacky Racers set.

I think, no suspect, that I'm getting that for Christmas. See, my son wrapped a present for me and pointed it out to me a couple weeks ago. I could tell it was a DVD of some sort, and of all the DVDs I asked for, this is the only one that he would comprehend, much less enjoy (he’ll eventually come to love the Marx Bros., but not for another couple years). That, and he asked if I wanted a hint, or if I wanted to open it NOW! I think he wants to enjoy it right alongside me! :g

- Family Guy (Seasons 1-3 plus bonus stuff). Almost every single episode is hilarious.

- Ren & Stimpy Seasons 1-2. Weird, but in a good way. :)

It's weird, when Family Guy was first aired, I watch a few episodes and didn't really get it.

But...

I bought the DVDs earlier this year. Wow! I LOVE that show. :g

I still can’t stand that show. Now, if it was something like “The Adventures of Stewie,” I’d be all over that in a second. But I absolutely despise the “father” (and I use that term loosely). I know he’s supposed to be a clueless loser, but to me he just comes across as a bad Homer Simpson ripoff.

Oh Lord! On Adult Swim I just saw a promo for Sealab 2021 where the mexican guy and the blonde girl were "singing" Aguas De Marco by Jobim from one of his recordings (I have it on the Verve Jazz Masters 13 disc... can't recall who the female is on the recording).

It cracked me up! :lol: ATHF was crazy tonight. Ted Nugent was in it!

• 5 months later...

Heads up. The Pink Panther cartoons are coming to the US at the end of July. This will be a 5 DVD box set of 124 cartoons -- much better than the short compilation DVD called Jet Pink or something like that. I just saw a 4 DVD set here in the UK, which has been out for months, and apparently has the same basic content. There is a lot of moaning about the quality, since the UK cartoons have fake 1:69 format rather than the original 1:33 format. Apparently, they added black bands to top and bottom -- over the original content -- so sometimes the Panther's head is clipped, etc. I'm thinking/hoping that the forthcoming region 1 set will correct this, but I think I will wait to read reviews.

OK, here is a little bit more information I found elsewhere. It does seem likely that the US version will be in 4:3 not 16:9 format, since the UK version was in the fake widescreen but the German and other European versions were not. So that's a good sign, but too bad for the Brits. I'd still like more confirmation before I pre-order, however. It looks like disc 5 has a lot of documentary material, which is usually watched precisely once.

Pink Panther Show, The - Think Pink! This July MGM brings 124 Panther Cartoons to DVD!

The Pink Panther is - paws down - the world's grooviest cartoon star. In 1964, this pink-inked feline slinked onto the opening credits of Blake Edwards' caper film by the same name and threatened to steal the entire show. Sleek, sophisticated and witty, the animation, produced by Friz Freleng and David H. DePatie, was a stylish departure from its contemporaries.and an instant hit. A subsequent short film, The Pink Phink, would go on to win an Oscar (1964: Animated Short Subject) and spawn a celebrated series of six-minute cartoons featuring the sly cat. Now, for the first time, 124 cartoons produced by Freleng and DePatie between 1964 and 1980 are collected here in a swingin' 5-disc set. With over 14 hours of "pink comedy," you can't help but lick your whiskers!

July 26th is the street date for this timelessly hip, ferociously funny box set. For $69.96 you get not onlyl five DVDs chock-full of the hilarious cartoons, but these special features as well:

"Behind the Feline: The Cartoon Phenomenon" Documentary

"Pink Patter With Art Leonardi: The Story Behind the Animation" Featurette

"Remembering Friz: A Tribute to Friz Freleng" Featurette

"Think Pink: How to Draw the Pink Panther" Featurette

Page to Screen: The Making of Two Cartoons

Animated Main Title Sequences From Five of the Feature Films

If The Pink Panther Show - Classic Cartoon Collection 5-Pack Box Set's $69.96 price tag is too much for you, then you can ease into the pink instead with 3 single-disc releases that street the same date. The Pink Panther Show - Classic Cartoon Collection Volume 1, Volume 2, and Volume 3 each contain 27 shorts for $14.95 SRP per sold-separately disc. The first volume contains the Oscar-winning Pink Phink short, so if you had to start with one of these, then that would be the one!

Stay tuned, and we'll have cover art for these once MGM makes it available.

TVShowsondvd.com-April 24, 2005

For young kids (7 and under), there are some good Disney DVDs that are all about one character or another. I rented the Goofy DVD to show at my son's birthday party (betw tie-dye shirts and pinata bashing) and it was a major hit. I find the Looney Tunes stuff too violent or even politically incorrect for my youngest at times, but I love it.

You go Foghorn!

Heads up.  The Pink Panther cartoons are coming to the US at the end of July.  This will be a 5 DVD box set of 124 cartoons -- much better than the short compilation DVD called Jet Pink or something like that.  I just saw a 4 DVD set here in the UK, which has been out for months, and apparently has the same basic content.  There is a lot of moaning about the quality, since the UK cartoons have fake 1:69 format rather than the original 1:33 format.  Apparently, they added black bands to top and bottom -- over the original content -- so sometimes the Panther's head is clipped, etc.  I'm thinking/hoping that the forthcoming region 1 set will correct this, but I think I will wait to read reviews.

YES! YES! YES! My son and I are excited about this one! :tup:excited: