Blindfold Test #14

Nate Dorward

OK folks. This'll be a single-disc BFT--this meant a few difficult exclusions but I like to keep things short & sweet, & I'm pretty happy with the 14 tracks I squeezed onto the disc (79 minutes & umpty-ump seconds!). I didn't stick religiously to a common theme, but there are several (fairly obvious, I think) "threads" that run through most of the selections.

So drop me a PM or email with your address. I'm in Canada, so the mailout may be a little slower than usual (what's mailing time from Canada to the US usually like?). If there are any kind souls who feel like helping with the distribution that'd be very welcome, given the longer mailing time & somewhat steeper postage costs.

Anyway, I hope people enjoy the compilation.

(NB: EKE BBB had some trouble with messaging me, so if there's some problem: my email is ndorward AT sprint DOT ca.)

The participants are (boldface marks those who've told me their discs arrived):

1. Bright Moments
  2. Peter Johnson
  3. EKE BBB
  4. Daniel A
  5. couw
  6. catesta
  7. MartyJazz (disc flawed--will send replacement!)
  8. Gary
  9. relyles
  10. Noj
  11. Jim Dye
  12. Dan Gould
  13. deus62
  14. Big Al
  15. Jim R
  16. king ubu
  17. Д.Д.
  18. Saxophone__Vagina
  19. randyhersom (disc got damaged after receipt--2nd copy on the way)
  20. John B
  21. dutchmanx
  22. tooter
  23. brownie
  24. mikeweil
  25. cannonball-addict
  26. alejo
  27. tjobbe
  28. marcoliv
  29. Stefan Wood
  30. take5
  31. Man with the Golden Arm
  32. Eloe Omoe
  33. RDK
Edited by Nate Dorward

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Close call: my CD-creating program started to whine about my CDR driver for some reason, but I seem to have hacked around the problem.... just listening to my first copy of the BFT, & assuming all's OK I'll get copies off tomorrow to some of the folks who volunteered to distribute.

I assume you received my PM with my address.

Hm, interesting problem: not wanting to rush people vs. not wanting to make the folks further down on the BFT list wait even longer. Anyway, I'll get the stuff out to the volunteer distributors (esp overseas) now, but will try to avoid stepping on the toes of EKE BBB's test--I want that to play out unimpeded, & a lot of people haven't chimed in on it yet. I haven't even got to disc 2 of it yet myself.

I can say, anyway, that this one shouldn't be too arduous because it's only a single disc.

Bump. Jeez, just 22 names? I wonder if BFT fatigue's setting in.....

That or the possibility that with summer upon us, participation will decline. We know from experience that board traffic slows in the summer.

Don't worry, it will probably be worse when my next turn comes, in the dog days of August.

OK, looks like we're in business here. A few things are already in the post, & I'll get the rest of the mailout done Monday. When participants get their copy then they should drop me a line so I know when enough people have copies so we can start discussion.

A general comment (I'll move this to the discussion thread perhaps once it's started but thought I'd put it here for now): this BFT is a little different from the last few ones. There's one very famous player among these tracks; but as for the rest I don't expect a lot of i.d.s (though I suspect you guys will pleasantly surprise me with some bullseyes nonetheless....). As with JSngry's BFT, the main point of the compilation is to elicit discussion of the music itself rather than to test your knowledge of the stylistic signatures of well-known musicians. -- These comments may be unnecessary--ignore if you like!

A general comment: this BFT is a little different from the last few ones. There's one very famous player among these tracks; but as for the rest I don't expect a lot of i.d.s (though I suspect you guys will pleasantly surprise me with some bullseyes nonetheless....). As with JSngry's BFT, the main point of the compilation is to elicit discussion of the music itself rather than to test your knowledge of the stylistic signatures of well-known musicians. -- These comments may be unnecessary--ignore if you like!

I think the discussion is much more important than correct guessing, anyway! Very much looking forward to this!