Ordered from Dusty (bastards!) lately?

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They seem to keep a relatively small inventory on hand, probably for economical reasons. Do the "notify me when this item is back in stock" thing (or whatever it's called) and jump when you get the notification.

Thanks for the encouragement ! I'd started to give up on this one as a lost cause but I gotta hear that Big John ( :excited: ). An interesting stock at the $£&**^%$s to say the least. How the heck did I miss that Gitte & Francy Boland? That's one that's been on my list for a good long time, would love to have the vinyl. Originally on some obscure German label (called 'Hor Zu', or something similar I think).

They seem to keep a relatively small inventory on hand, probably for economical reasons. Do the "notify me when this item is back in stock" thing (or whatever it's called) and jump when you get the notification.

Thanks for the encouragement ! I'd started to give up on this one as a lost cause but I gotta hear that Big John ( :excited: ). An interesting stock at the $£&**^%$s to say the least.

Man, that stinks about that BJP. Shoulda jumped when the gun went off! :g

A speedy e-mail upon receipt of one of those "back in stock' notices usually allows a "hold' on that item for ten days so you can double up on an order. They are really great about that!

Guest akanalog

just got a few things-

billy gault "destiny calls" not sure about this one yet. nothing special on first listen. gault you will remember, was the pianist on jackie mcleans cosmic brotherhood stuff. this album has some vocals in sort of a "lift every voice" way, but i dunno...blah.

mike westbrook "love songs" liking this one a lot. nice early jazz rock but not too rocky. the compositions are nice. need to listen more, but the third song really moved me.

gato barbieri "fenix" good for gato but i am not sure about this one yet. sounded decent on first listen. less screeching. nice rhythm section-ron carter, lenny white, ll smith...but still basically gato ripping over a subservient rhythm section.

marc moulin "sam suffy" does anyone else enjoy this one. for some reason blue note is putting out this reissue. i really dig the moog bass and minimal yet funky style. which i guess is what appeals to me about herbie hancock's funk stuff, at least early on. a lot of these songs are just duets with drummers with moulin on the rhodes and moog bass. pretty cool. the last long tune gets into some almost mwandisihi-esque space. at least for frenchmen.

henry franklin "tribal dance" sounds good on first listen. not much to say. this is originally on catalyst records. a little straighter than i expected. i was looking for something more spiritual. but i guess it is from 1977. there is a long good song with interesting effects.

friedrich gulda "fata morgana" this one is interesting. need to listen more but two german guys playing acoustic and electric pianos (trading off i guess) over another german guys drums. a little straighter than i hoped at points but i like how the two pianists trade off basslines.

automatic man "s/t" wow. why did i order this? i knew what it would be like i guess. funny. bombastic 70s prog rock. i was expecting more jamming and more jazz influences since bayete is the keyboard player and michael shrieve is on drums. still could grow on me.

mike westbrook "love songs" liking this one a lot.  nice early jazz rock but not too rocky.  the compositions are nice.  need to listen more, but the third song really moved me.

Apparently Mike W doesn't want this one reissued as part of the 'Impressed' series so other than original vinyl, the Japanese CD is the only option with this album. Get 'em while they are here ! Nice album, the final track 'Original Peter' has a great groove and Norma Winstone is also on it ('nuff said).

Edited by sidewinder

• 3 months later...

This has got to be a record for me at least -- I ended up leaving Dusty Groove with more money than when I started. I went in to sell a bunch of LPs and was very surprised when they offered me $130 for the lot. Of course, I did pick up a few things, including the soundtrack to Tati's Traffic (by Charles Dumont), some LPs by the Latin Jazz Quintet and Buddy Collette's Tanganyika. Nonetheless, they still owed me money, which is definitely a first.

It was a vinyl day today at DG:

Harold Betters & Slide Hampton: [b]Harold Betters Meets Slide Hampton (Gateway LP)

Paul Bley: Open, To Love (American ECM LP)

Gloria Coleman: Sings & Swings Organ (Mainstream LP)

LaMont Johnson: Sun, Moon, And Stars (Mainstream LP)

• 3 months later...

I can't believe that you're bypassing "The Ghetto"...you must be out of your mind!!!  :wacko:  :g

I've stayed away from this place for awhile now...I'd still rather use Hiroshi Tanno.

"Ghetto" is on the Live cd...

I'm checking in as another major Hathaway fan.

Today, I placed my first order from them: 2 DIW titles from Harold Mabern--"Mabern's Grooveyard" and "Maya With Love." The price for these 2 brand-new Japanese imports--which I believe are currently OOP--was terrific ($14.99 each). When I went back to the site this evening, those 2 titles were no longer listed. I just hope that's because I snagged 'em, and not because the deal really was too good to be true. :P

EDIT: Within minutes of posting this, I received an email from them saying that my order had been processed and would be shipped in full tomorrow. I received this tonight--on a Sunday evening. On the same Sunday I placed the order. Service like that is impossible to resist. Damn Bastards. :angry:

Edited by Ron S

Today, I placed my first order from them: 2 DIW titles from Harold Mabern--"Mabern's Grooveyard" and "Maya With Love."  The price for these 2 brand-new Japanese imports--which I believe are currently OOP--was terrific ($14.99 each).  When I went back to the site this evening, those 2 titles were no longer listed.  I just hope that's because I snagged 'em, and not because the deal really was too good to be true. :P

EDIT:  Within minutes of posting this, I received an email from them saying that my order had been processed and would be shipped in full tomorrow.  I received this tonight--on a Sunday evening.  On the same Sunday I placed the order.  Service like that is impossible to resist.  Damn Bastards. :angry:

uh-oh. you are now in trouble! Impossible to resist, indeed! I think I ordered at least 5-6 more times from them within 2 weeks of my first order. The service (packaging, speed of shipping, communication) is top-notch, better than just about any other company out there. I can't wait to visit the actual store!

here's my latest order:

13309 MJT 3 -- MJT 3 CD 1 $6.99 $6.99

363915 Frank Strozier -- Cool, Calm & Collected The Unreleased Frank Strozier CD 1 $5.99 $5.99

386910 Stan Getz/Wardell Gray/Paul Quinichette/Zoot Sims -- Rare Dawn Sessions CD 1 $3.99 $3.99

362628 Steve Lacy -- Gap(limited numbered edition) CD 1 $11.99 $11.99

382536 Modern Jazz Orchestra Featuring Kenny Drew -- Modern Jazz Orchestra CD 1 $7.99 $7.99

hope i find a few gems here! :)

here's my latest order:

13309 MJT 3 -- MJT 3  CD 1 $6.99 $6.99

363915 Frank Strozier -- Cool, Calm & Collected The Unreleased Frank Strozier  CD 1 $5.99 $5.99

386910 Stan Getz/Wardell Gray/Paul Quinichette/Zoot Sims -- Rare Dawn Sessions  CD 1 $3.99 $3.99

362628 Steve Lacy -- Gap(limited numbered edition)  CD 1 $11.99 $11.99

382536 Modern Jazz Orchestra Featuring Kenny Drew -- Modern Jazz Orchestra  CD 1 $7.99 $7.99

hope i find a few gems here! :)

I have that MJT album... nothing mind-blowing, but effective for what it is. Always nice to hear some quality hard bop--some interesting harmonic things going on here and there.

I made my first order last week, the Sir Douglas Quintet box set on Hip-O. When i woke up the next day, there on my computer was confirmation that it shipped. When I returned from work that same day, the telephone rang and Fed-Ex in Sweden said they had a parcel for me and could we fix the customs duties by Visa over the phone? no easier said than done and the parcel was delivered the next day! Unbelieveable, a record of sorts :tup

• 2 weeks later...

Some Spanish stuff:

Bill Evans 1960 Birdland Sessions (great price on this--$12.99)

Wes Montgomery & Billy Taylor (contains "The Navy Swings" plus a later European session w/Clark Terry)

Wes Montgomery/John Hendricks (contains "A Good Git-Together" plus "Kismet" with the Mastersounds)