Johnny Coles/Duke Pearson

Leeway

I was listening to my "Little Johnny"- Johnny Coles - Conn, and persuing the liner notes, from the original album, which are by Duke Pearson. It really struck me on this listening how much of a Duke Pearson album this is. All but one of the songs is by Pearson (with one by Joe Henderson)

Then I read the last paragraph of the liner notes by Duke: "So, with given permission to prepare this album, the original compositions contributed, piano accompaniment, and the writing of these liner notes, it gives me a great honor to pay tribute to such a little giant as 'Little Johnny C'."

Sounds like Pearson is saying - "Hey, I've done just about everything on this album except deliver it to your house. My name should be on the title." Did Pearson do this album as a favor to Coles? Or was Pearson trying to help the label develop another artist (I recall reading that Pearson took Ike Quebec's place as BN's artist liaison). Should one consider this a Pearson album in disguise"?

Coles is on three other Pearson LP's: the two on Atlantic (reissued by Koch) and the one for JazzLine with the unique two-trumpet front line - this was reissued as "Groovin' For Nat" on Black Lion under Donald Byrd's name.

As I understand it, Coles was a member of Duke Pearson's working band off and on from 1961 to 1966 - maybe he asked Pearson for assistance and /or Pearson talked Alfred Lion into recording this album - who knows? "Little Johnny C" preceded Pearson's two Atlantic LPs. I have always asked myself why Pearson did these two albums for Atlantic, anyway, and not for Blue Note.

No matter who's album this actually is - it's a great one!

By the way, compare it to the first Blue Mitchell album on Blue Note - very very similar, personnel, tunes, arrangements... another Pearson effort?

ubu

Well, Pearson the arranger obviously preferred a three or four horn front line - tp/as/ts or tp/tb/as/ts to the standard tp/ts lineup. And he wrote great stuff for all kinds of three to seven horns.

The first Blue Mitchell Blue Note was directed by Joe Henderson - at least that's what the Mosaic booklet says. Henderson collaborated with Pearson too - maybe there was some influence or shared ideas? Both albums were recorded within one month (July and August).

Edited by mikeweil

Coles is on three other Pearson LP's: the two on Atlantic (reissued by Koch) and the one for JazzLine with the unique two-trumpet front line - this was reissued as "Groovin' For Nat" on Black Lion under Donald Byrd's name.

As I understand it, Coles was a member of Duke Pearson's working band off and on from 1961 to 1966 - maybe he asked Pearson for assistance and /or Pearson talked Alfred Lion into recording this album - who knows? "Little Johnny C" preceded Pearson's two Atlantic LPs. I have always asked myself why Pearson did these two albums for Atlantic, anyway, and not for Blue Note.

Maybe BN did not want anymore albums with Cole listed as leader?

Then why were the other LPs all under Pearson's name and for other labels?

Good question, and I probably don't have a good answer. What I was thinking was that Pearson might have wanted to do the albums for BN with Coles listed again as leader; when BN declined that arrangement, Pearson took the album(s) elsewhere, to Atlantic. Yes, Atlantic wasn't going to put Coles in the leader spot either, but perhaps Pearson was making a point simply by taking the albums elsewhere, even if he couldn't help his friend Coles. Admittedly, sheer speculation, but it is interesting to try to figure out why BN did not continue to support the Coles/Pearson arrangement.

• 2 weeks later...

Wait a minute - the first Blue Mitchell LP was "directed by Joe Henderson?" Wasn't that one pretty much the recently broken up Horace Silver group? (With henderson taking over for Junior Cook...) I better pull out the Mosaic book.

Wait a minute - the first Blue Mitchell LP was "directed by Joe Henderson?" Wasn't that one pretty much the recently broken up Horace Silver group? (With Henderson taking over for Junior Cook...) I better pull out the Mosaic book.

You better do ....

The first issued Blue Note Blue Mitchell was the Mitchell/Cook frontline with Gene Taylor from the Silver Quintet and Chick Corea and Al Foster filling in.

The first session recorded remained unissued at the time, and was a studio band with Mitchell, Henderson, Hancock, Leo Wright, and Taylor and Roy Brooks from the Silver Quintet. Alfred Lion decided to leave this in the vault after Silver disbanded the Quintet and rather support the new working group with Mitchell and Cook.

The first album was no more the Silver quintet than the second: 3 musicians in each case. But the second was a working band, the first was not.

Then why were the other LPs all under Pearson's name and for other labels?

Good question, and I probably don't have a good answer. ....... Admittedly, sheer speculation, but it is interesting to try to figure out why BN did not continue to support the Coles/Pearson arrangement.

Maybe a good question to ask Michael Cuscuna?