Upcoming Jazz Releases (Re-issues & New Releases)

Rooster_Ties

Appart from the obvious BN reissues, and Mosaic Select titles, here are a few I will probably seriously consider getting...

Ralph Alessi - This Against That (RKM 03) May 27 — with Don Byron, David Gilmore, Drew Gress, Nasheet Waits

Ralph Alessi - Vice & Virtue (RKM 02) May 27 — recorded in 1999

Greg Osby - St. Louis Shoes (Blue Note) June 10

The Classical Jazz Quartet - Plays Rachmaninoff (Vertical Records) June

Charlie Haden - The Montreal Tapes (Verve) — with Joe Henderson and Al Foster

Jason Moran Trio - The Bandwagon (Blue Note) Aug 19 — recorded live at the Village Vanguard, Nov. 2002

Miles Davis - Tribute To Jack Johnson Sessions - 5 CDs? (Columbia/Legacy) early Sept (2003)

— 34 tracks; about 4.5 hours previously unreleased :excited:

Miles Davis - Juan Le Pins Sessions (Columbia) - 2 CDs – 2003/04??

— July 1969 concerts with Shorter, Corea, Holland, and DeJohnette. The second concert is unissued.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

I'm looking forward to the continuation of the Duke Ellington Treasury Shows, and to the conclusion of the Ben Pollacks on Jazz Oracle, and the continuation of the Gene Kardos/Joel Shaw and Isham Jones series on The Old Masters.

Yeah, I'm strange. :)

Jazzbo, you're not strange at all.

I really like The Old Masters label. The only thing I've got are the 3 Frankie Trumbauer Tram volumes, but I love the music. I wish I had more like it.

I went through the upcoming releases list, but I couldn't find much that I was interested in. Since my budget is limited these days, I've given up on trying to keep up with all the new releases/reissues. Five years ago I would have planned to buy most of the items on that list, but now I'm mostly enjoying what I already have.

Apart from some of the titles you guys have mentioned. The Stan Kenton reissue on BN is the only thing that I'm excited about. I can't really tell you why, but I like Kenton. Bombast and all.

:rsmile:

I don't like to look too far ahead. I just preordered most of the upcoming BN stuff (I already have the Chet Baker):

Cannonball Adderley - Fiddler on the Roof

Stan Kenton - Contemporary Concepts - I've really bcome a big Kenton fan over the years.

Peggy Lee/George Shearing Quintet - Beauty and the Beat - ditto for both Lee and Shearing

George Shearing Quintet with Dakota Staton/ - In The Night - First exposure to Staton

Paul Jackson, Jr. - Still Small Voice - probably a little too smooth for most, but his last one has a nice groove. Good for late night listening, parties etc.

Martial Solal - NY1 - never heard him before and am taking a chance.

The Bennie Green and Randy Weston Mosaic Selects

Also, I just bagged the new Truffaz. It's on the way.

Well, I just looked ahead. June's going to be busy too:

Greg Osby - St. Louis Shoes

Emmanuel Pahud/Jacky Terrasson - Into the Blue

Chucho Valdes - New Conceptions

Chet Baker - The Most Important Jazz Album

Count Basie - Chairman of the Board

Billy Eckstine - Once More With Feeling

Jimmy Rushing - Five Feet of Soul

Dinah Washington - Dinah '62

I'm going to wait on the Miles at the Blackhawk until Mosaic determines if they're going to do an LP set.

Savoy seems to start reissue their new acquisition (this has been talked about, I think - however Savoy bought 32jazz and with it the Muse & Landmark catalogues). And it seems they issue the music with the same titles as 32 did. (Maybe the improve as far as cover "art" is concerned? :g )

Another one which is up for pre-order is Zoot Sims in Philly, I think (can't remember whether I saw it on barnesandnoble or cduniverse or somewhere else). But it's good news anyway, cause there's a whole lot of good stuff in these two catalogues!

Of Stitt I saw something about "In Case You Forgot How Bad He Really Was", a live date I think first issued by 32jazz. Well, let's hope Savoy brings us all the music back soon!

And Ed: you're in for a treat with Martial Solal! A great musician, still going strong.

ubu

Guest Mnytime

There is a lot that will be coming out this year I am interested in with the upcoming Ayler box for Jimmy Lyons in my top 3.

Is Orrin Keepnews the one that is producing the upcoming Savoy reissues of 32Jazz/Muse releases? If he is I will hold off until I hear they are not screwed up in some way.

Edited by Mnytime