Rivbea All Star Orchestra with Sam Rivers

I don't know much about Sam Rivers besides that he was involved in the Avant-Garde scene with Braxton and Holland and others in the 70s.

What is the origin of this band? Can anyone explain who is in it and how it got together. I was just listening to a CD of them that I got out of the public library and I'm really digging it but since I just ripped in onto my computer and then returned the disc, I have no info on it, at least nothing that I can find on AMG or elsewhere.

It is called "Inspiration."

The soloists (especially both alto players) are BAD!!!

Would appreciate any help.

Natt

I don't know much about Sam Rivers besides that he was involved in the Avant-Garde scene with Braxton and Holland and others in the 70s.

Can't answer your question but he played with Miles in the '60's. Sould be part of that Seven Steps to Heaven box.

Miles in Tokyo (14Jul1964), with Sam Rivers on tenor sax

http://www.organissimo.org/forum/index.php...topic=11264&hl=

Edited by 7/4

From Allmusic.com:

Prior to Inspiration, Sam Rivers hadn't recorded for a major label in nearly 20 years, and he hadn't cut a studio session in two decades. That doesn't mean he was inactive; he was teaching, playing, and giving concerts but never recording. Aware that many of Rivers' big-band compositions — not only his recent material, but some earlier works as well — had never been given the proper treatment, saxophonist Steve Coleman helped arrange a recording contract with BMG, with the end result being the astonishing Inspiration album. The compositions on Inspiration are as old as 1968's "Beatrice" and as new as 1995's "Solace" (incidentally, both of those pieces are tributes to his wife Beatrice, who also provides half of the name of the featured big band, the Rivbea All-Star Orchestra). Remarkably, all of the compositions not only sound fresh, they sound visionary — still ahead of their time. It's not only because the stellar musicians give vibrant, unpredictable performances, although that undeniably helps; Rivers' writing is the real key. His writing for big band is utterly original, blending big-band, bop, and avant-garde traditions together in unique, surprising ways. The dissonance never sounds irritating — it sounds melodic — and the complex themes are strangely inviting. Similarly, Rivers' playing is robust, swinging between intense bursts of sound and beautiful lyricism, and sometimes combining it all at once. His 16 colleagues — including such luminaries as Steve Coleman, Greg Osby, Chico Freeman, and Ray Anderson — follow suit, delivering wonderfully shaded, invigorating performances. Inspiration truly is a revelation, proving not only that Rivers retains all his creative power at the age of 75, but that avant-garde jazz can be as inviting as any other style without sacrificing any of its depth or daring. — Stephen Thomas

Sam Rivers - Flute, Sax (Soprano), Sax (Tenor), Producer

Ray Anderson - Trombone

Steve Coleman - Sax (Alto), Producer, Mixing

Chico Freeman - Sax (Tenor)

Greg Osby - Sax (Alto)

Bob Stewart - Tuba

Gary Thomas - Sax (Tenor)

Baikida Carroll - Trumpet

Ralph Alessi - Trumpet

Art Baron - Trombone

Joseph Bowie - Trombone

Anthony Cole - Drums

Doug Mathews - Bass

James Zollar - Trumpet

Ravi Best - Trumpet

Joe Daley - Sax (Baritone)

Also, there's a follow-up release, recorded at the same session, called Culmination.

Edited by DTMX

Sam Rivers (and his wife Bea) also ran Studio Rivbea in the SoHo area in the '70s. It was a major gathering place for the practicioners of the new music. Went there a number of times when I visited New York at the time. Heard great music there!

I didn't realize Ralph Alessi was part of the All-Stars... he and his wife live upstairs from a good friend of ours in Astoria. Used to be Ravi's apartment. Gerry Gibbs keeps a room there, but they haven't seen or heard from him in over a year! He runs a jazz club down in TX somewhere.

Somewhat related, I guess...

• 3 years later...

LOTS of M-BASE cats in that line-up (nearly half the line-up (and slightly over half the horn-players), if my count is right at first glance).

Steve Coleman's producer credit always left the impression with me that he was somehow instrumental in these dates having been assembled, and released on a big(ger) label to boot.

Steve Coleman's producer credit always left the impression with me that he was somehow instrumental in these dates having been assembled, and released on a big(ger) label to boot.

That was my take as well. When they were released Coleman signed to the label, so he most likely brought the recordings to the their attention.