Name-dropping

tonym

Wow. I am aware that we have some 'insiders' here on this board but here I am, browsing through the liner notes of the Miles Legacy remaster of 'Filles..' and whos name pops up? That's right. Of course you probably all know it's Jim Sangrey's.

Is this a common occurence? Who else is name checked in the jazz print?

C'mon blow your own trumpets.

I wrote those notes, and Jim's name is there because I bounced a rough draft off of him, he had some very shrewd comments, I wanted to use one of them and thought he ought to get credited for it. After all, it was his idea.

I'm probably very naive about this, but how were you selected to write those notes? Very enjoyable read, by the way. A major selling point with me when it comes to reissues are the new liner notes.

Thanks, Chris. I've never done that AMG search, didnt even know it existed. Weird feeling. Actually, I've written plenty more liner notes than are on that list, but the reason I got the "Filles" gig was that Bob Belden was the producer/compiler/whatever of that reissue, and back when he was in college he read a club review I'd written for Down Beat in '69 or '70 of the so-called "lost" Miles Quintet (the one with Wayne, and Corea, Holland, and DeJohnette in the rhythm section) and thought it was on the money. Belden, being a Miles fanatic, filed that away in his head and later passed on some bootleg Miles tapes of that vintage to me. We've had intermittent contact over the years (at first I didn't even know he was a musician), but he knew who I was, I knew who he was, and voila! It was a lot of fun. And thanks, Greg K, for the compliment.

I'm listed on the cover (LP)/booklet (CD) of Mike Westbrook's 'The Cortege' as a patron!

This makes me sound like a wealthy aristocrat distributing my largesse.

It actually means that at a concert by the band I paid for a copy before it was recorded, supposedly helping to finance the venture.

I also wrote liner notes for the very first Ray Charles record to be published in France - back in 1958 - by Ray Charles. An EP that came out on the Versailles label that was managed by Sacha Distel. Distel - who liked the music - was not very enthusiastic about having it released. He quickly changed his mind after the initial sales reports.

I also wrote notes for a Charlie Parker record that had the Jay McShann with Bird sides for Decca. My names was also was mentioned in French LP releases of albums by Charlie Parker and John Coltrane, among others.

And these folks too. I created their web site, did a bunch of free promotion too. Even played in another band with them for six months and wrote a equipment review in Guitar World a few years ago.

Edited by 7/4

I wrote the liner notes for the Lazer Disc release of Ron Mann's "Imagine the Sound"-- a film about Cecil Taylor, Paul Bley, Bill Dixon and Archie Shepp. Unfortunately it's now about as obscure as those musicians. (I think it's the only one of Ron's films not available on DVD.)

I know this is a loaded thing to mention but I write for AMG.

I also helped fascilitate the digitization and reissue of the 1972 ICES festival. The first CD of the series, AMM Live at the Roundhouse, came out in March on Anomalous Records. The ICES reels were donated to the Richard F. Wright Jazz Archive at the University of Kansas in 1972. When Harvey Matusow and Eric from Anomalous contacted the archive about releasing the sessions in 2002, I was the managing archivist. Good thing for them, because no one on the administration gave a shit. So I had to really dig and scrape to make it happen. Thanks go to Chuck here as well for providing some good advice along the way. :tup

I think I wrote the liner notes for George Russell's "Stratusphunk." Also for a couple of Joe McPhee albums.

I haven't written shit, but I did talk to tenor player, David Young about the Stratusphunk LP a week ago. He just laughed and said "Damn, that was a long time ago"! David's a great player, but not really one to talk about himself. Some one was asking him for some comments on Wes Montgomery (for an upcoming documentary) and he didn't think anything he had to say was of any merit. He just seems to be a shy/modest guy.

Mark

I shot the (credited) photo of Marion Brown for that ESP album:

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&u...l=Aoysqoarayijp

Also the back cover photo and the photo on both sides of the label on the original ESP LP release :winky:

That's a cool cover! I haven't picked this one up so far, but I've had it in my hands looking at that cover several times!

ubu

That's a cool cover! I haven't picked this one up so far, but I've had it in my hands looking at that cover several times!

ubu

Next time you hold that album, get it. It's the music that makes the album excellent! And Marion Brown is a master saxophonist. What a shame he is so often overlooked!

ubu

Next time you hold that album, get it. It's the music that makes the album excellent! And Marion Brown is a master saxophonist. What a shame he is so often overlooked!

I will, thanks for the :tup