"MIA" songs from the old The Sermon/House Party?

Shawn

As it happens I kept mine. I never felt the need to upgrade.

The Sermon:

'S Wonderful

Blue Room

Lover Man

Confirmation

Au Privave

The Sermon

Flamingo

Houseparty:

J.O.S.

What is THis THing Called Love

Just Friends

Cherokee

Blues After All

PEte

Why'd they do that?

No kidding. I thought much of the point of these new releases were the unreleased tunes. The other key point being sound of course.

Were they tunes from some other sessions that shouldn't have been on the first CD?

Edited by ajf67

Were they tunes from some other sessions that shouldn't have been on the first CD?

Well from the vinyl evidence I have (Confirmation, from the late 70s Ugly White Cover series), "Cherokee" and "What is this Thing Called Love" have no damn business in limbo. Mogie. Fuller. Geez, Blue Note. We know that it'll all fit...

It's what friends with CD burners were made for!   :g

Yeah, but the catch is finding a friend with a cd burner AND copies of the McMasters of these...

:w

I'd help out but I don't have them all either! My collection of these sessions is odd: I think I have one McMaster, one RVG, and another JRVG - but I'm still missing a few cuts... :(

This one should have been a 2-fer, but it's too "big" a title to combine like that... :blink:

It's what friends with CD burners were made for!   :g

Yeah, but the catch is finding a friend with a cd burner AND copies of the McMasters of these...

:w

Do I incidentally happen to have a friend here who has a) a cd burner, B) the "House Party" McMaster, c) an unused CD blank, d) some spare time, and e) some dimes to send me a copy?

That would be cool! I do have the old version of "The Sermon" and would of course be willing to burn that for anyone, too. I never managed to find the old "House Party".

Someone European (to save some postage)?

ubu

I always thought the original CD release of the two albums showed the promise of the (then) new format - a chance tp put things in some kind of order and fill out original albums with worthwhile additional material. On the other hand, the "RVG" editions sound as good as anything in that seriies - a noticeable improvement in sound. I've kept all of them.

• 2 weeks later...

Many of us were appalled by the omissions when the two RVGs came out. They apparently didn't do this to make more money, as the missing tracks have not been issued since that time. Why go to all the trouble to bring out and "cook" the tapes, only to pass over several choice selections, all in the name of replicating two old LPs which were somewhat arbitrarily put together in the 60s, the choices having been made largely because of time limitations rather than quality.

You don't need the McMasters to get two of the tracks from the 8/25/57 session if you can find the rare Japanese CD called "Confirmation"; apart from the title track, which is from the 2/25/58 session, it has "What Is This Thing Called Love" and "Cherokee". I know a guy who has that CD, but he stopped trading burns, so that was that. (I don't know what the sound is like on that CD.) But that would still leave out "'S Wonderful" and "Blue Room", though those were on a Japanese LP called "Special Guests".

Don't forget that there is also a trio track, "Little Girl Blue", which was included on the domestic CD "Standards".

If anyone has the time and energy, I guess Michael Cuscuna would be open to requests for a "top off" CD.