I wish I had more 47 W 63rd Blue Notes...

wolff

I own 3 in mint condition. Compared to their re-issues and original New York USA titles, their sound kicks ass and is not fatiguing in the least. The music, of course is amazing, but I notice much more detail, warmth and accuracy of tone I miss on other Blue Notes. The highs still seem rolled off, but with less distortion.

Much less of a veil or curtain in front of the instruments, which is one of my biggest gripes about other Blue Notes. Is it just me? Did they use 200 gram vinyl? It sure feels like it.

I better take care of these 3, as unless I win the lottery..................

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, these M.F.s should be treated that way. The only ones that I have aren't in that great of shape (Something Else, Little Johnny C., Out to Lunch), and I resent the fact that the other owners seem to have let their kids play with them. Of course, if they were in great shape, chances are I wouldn't own 'em. They do sound amazing, though.

Having caught the BN fever nearly half a century ago (first purchase was The Amazing Bud Powell, vol. 1) I have a number of these early beauties. I even have a few LPs with the Lexington Avenue adress (including the Herbie Nichols Trio and the Kenny Dorham Round Mignight at Cafe Bohemia and - but that one is in less than mint condition - Lee Morgan Indeed).

Among the 47W63rd favorites include Coltrane's Blue Train, Adderley's Somethin' Else and Sonny Clark's Sonny's Crib. I am still amazed at the sound coming out of these treasures.

Two of my favourites of the 47W63rds is the Jackie McLean 'Bluesnik' and the Turrentine 'Up at Mintons Vol 2'. Fantastic soundstage on these. I've a 'Capuchin Swing' deepgroove currently in the mail too - hope it arrives OK.. :blink:

The Silver and Blakey originals of this vintage also sound fantastic and are to die for !

Edited by sidewinder

I have to agree on the

Turrentine 'Up at Mintons Vol 2'

one of my fav. Turrentine sessions, and the live club acoustics are phenomenal!!

Even got vol 1 but just a new york no address belive a second print from 62-64 and sounds just as good, both in living stereo :)

Anyone have any 47 W 63rds marked as such on one side then with 'NY USA' on the second side? I have a Blakey 'Big Beat' with this, also a McLean 'Jackie's Bag'. I guess these must come from the transitional period.

Weirder still is the 'Clifford Brown Memorial Album' with Lexington deep groove on side 1 and NY USA on side two .. :wacko:

I have a deep groove (both sides) "Prayer Meetin"" which is very odd.

I'm wondering if the sonics of the W 63rd's are consistantly better than later pressings, both re-issue and original. I wish I had more to compare.

I have many original New York and Liberty's. While the sonics are good to very good, I do not consider them anything special(except mucically). They have a pretty unique sound that sounds highly processed. There are a few exceptions to this. It's like the engineer changed equipment or methods. This seems to be absent, to a large degree, on my few W 63rd's.

wolff Posted on Jun 29 2004, 10:58 PM: I'm wondering if the sonics of the W 63rd's are consistantly better than later pressings, both re-issue and original. I wish I had more to compare.

I don't have enough to make a solid comparison either. Sounds like fun though.

Some of the better BN recordings come from the post-47W63rd era. I am thinking of the Eric Dolphy 'Out To Lunch' and the first Andrew Hill releases. These came with the simple New York labels. The sound of these ones (and a lot of others) from the same era is outstanding. Specially on the mono issues!

Anyone have any 47 W 63rds marked as such on one side then with 'NY USA' on the second side? I have a Blakey 'Big Beat' with this, also a McLean 'Jackie's Bag'. I guess these must come from the transitional period.

Weirder still is the 'Clifford Brown Memorial Album' with Lexington deep groove on side 1 and NY USA on side two .. :wacko:

One of my Blue Trains (I have a few copies of this one) has W 63rd label with no "r" or "inc" on one side & NY on the other - I've always believed this variation comes from the very beginning of the transition. Other independents used up their existing labels when changing designs too-I have some examples of this from Chess Records. As for the one-sided deep grooves, I have Midnight Blue and Bluesnik monos with this. :mellow:

Some of the better BN recordings come from the post-47W63rd era. I am thinking of the Eric Dolphy 'Out To Lunch' and the first Andrew Hill releases. These came with the simple New York labels. The sound of these ones (and a lot of others) from the same era is outstanding. Specially on the mono issues!

Yes, there are a number of exceptions in my opinion(Maiden Voyage is probably another one). I think the sound can be good to very good(New York's and Liberty's), but when I play some other LP's from different labels I notice some flaws, or differences that are not to my liking. Overall, I like that the sound is very consistant in the original and re-issue New York's and Liberty's. I know what to expect and usually get it.

brownie  Posted on Jun 30 2004, 03:53 PM  Specially on the mono issues!

I have a bunch of monos (not many W 63rds though) and I think I prefer them in every instance. It seems a shame that just about all the CD, RVG-CD and Mosaic re-issues use the stereo mixes. Classic Records has put out some outstanding-sounding monos, but that's about it.

guess the mono masters will just rot in the vaults. :angry:

I have the 'A Night At Birdland' BN 1521/22. The Blakey/Clifford Brown/Lou Donaldson/Horace Silver/CurlyRussell unit.

Volume 2 is 47W63 on both sides.

Volume 1 has the Lexington label on side 2 and the 47W63 on side 1!

Deep grooves both.

An example of a NY USA pressing that sounds outstanding is the original 'Unity'. I have a stereo - wonder what the mono of this one is like?

Concur with the comment about the NY USA monos. George Braith's 'Two Souls in One' in mono sounds absolutely outstanding in this format. As does the Lee Morgan 'Sidewinder' and 'Rumproller'. Wouldn't swap these for the stereo for anything ! B)

Some of the early Liberty's sound pretty nice too. Hutcherson's 'Stick Up', McLean's 'Action' and the mono Duke Pearson 'Sweet Honey Bee' are three of my sonic faves of this vintage (although the McLean and Pearson were originally issued on NY USA).

Anyway, back to 47 W 63rd. 'The Sermon' sounds particularly good with nice big soundstage -B3 foghorn effects come through loud and clear. :rsmile:

Edited by sidewinder