Planet Music

JohnS

It's them. They list a Time Life Blue Note series with which I am not familiar. These titles sell for 5.95 euros and seem to be mostly tinted blue by way of giving them a series feel - otherwise (!) the covers are original.

No details are given as to mastering, but there are a few titles people here might snap up including True Blue and Destination Out. I don't have the brochure with me but if no one else beats me to it I will list some of the highlights later on today.

Other features in the catalog include a promotion of jazz in Sweden - where, to judge by the number of titles (and pace Ken Burns), jazz seems to have originated.

Beware of all related to Planet Music!

I used to purchase CDs through their on-line store (and everytime I was to Barcelona) without any problem: good prices, quick delivery.

But just before they closed (of course I didn´t know anything about this matter), I made a big order.

My CDs never reached my mailbox, but my money was gone (debited in my credit card). Of course, their site was gone, no replies to my e-mails, and no contact telephone!

I´m arguing with my bank and VISA; and I will demand Planet Jazz (or whatever they´re called now) to the Office of the Consumer!

So, beware of all related to Planet Music!

:angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

:rmad::rmad::rmad::rmad::rmad::rmad:

The Blue Note titles are very interesting, several unusual things. the weird colours are right then?

Thanks for the warning EKE, I found them okay in the past, but I'll certainly treat them with caution.

Does anybody have a complete list of the BN titles in this most recent "Time Life" series?? Meaning the series with the "blue and orange" versions of the classic covers??

(There could be a title or two worth picking up, if they could be had much cheaper than their Japanese counterparts.)

I have the Leo Parker on Time Life Blue Note and it does sound like a Japanese remastering. Sounds very good. In fact, I have two copies, and one is for sale.

Lon,

What's on this cd and what's the asking price?

Brad, it's the "Let Me Tell You About It" (patent made title for Kevin B's reports from Michael C as is witnessed by his use of the lp cover as an avatar). I've already gotten an email inquiry about this, and I'm hoping I'm not too confused and I still have this for sale! It's not listed any longer in my "for sale" section which has me confused. . . .

Here is a selection of avavilable titles:

Somethin Else

Orgy in Rhythm

Moanin

Like Someone in Love

True Blue

Midnight Blue

Off to the Races

Whims of Chambers

Sonny's Crib

Little Johnny C

Blue Train

Now He Sings, Now He Sobs

Early cicle

Birth of the Cool

Good Gracious

Afocuban

Piano Reflections

Money Jungle

Undercurent

Modern Art

Curtis Fuller Vol 3

Go

Our Man in Paris

Talkin About

the Congregation

My Point of View

Empyrean Isles

Page One

Comin on Home (Richard Groove Holmes)

The Night of the Cookers (1+2)

San Francisco

The Eminenet JJJ Vol 1

Detroit New York Junction

Destination Out

Mingus in Wonderland

Boss Horn (Blue Mitchell)

Roll Call

Poppin (!!!)

Genius of Modern Music 1

the Cooker

At Storyville

Let Me Tell You About It (Leo Parker)

Up & Down (Horace Parlan)

Bud Plays Bird

It Might As Well Be Spring

Blue and Sentimental

Out of the Blue (Sonny Red)

Down To Earth (Freddie Roach)

Sonny Rollins Vol 2

Speak No Evil

Stylings of Silver

Further Explorations

Softly As A Summer Breeze

Turning Point (Lonnie Liston Smith)

The Real McCoy

Fuchsia Swing Song

Love Bug

Inta SOmethin

Cliff Jordan

The Complete Town Hall Concert

I missed off a few vocal and more recent BN titles.

I remember reading somewhere (was it on BNBB?) that these TimeLife Blue Notes actually have the same mastering as the regular TOCJs.

Don't pin me on this, I'm hoping someone can verify.

I have/had 3 titles from this series: "Undercurrent", "Birth of the cool" and Intuition

Those are not Blue Note sessions, so I can't compare the sound to the Blue Note TOCJ standard. But the RVG of "Birth of the cool" and the remastered "Undercurrent" are much better.

I rather think those CDs are made from the late 80's, early 90's McMaster tapes.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a few of them, and they are all japanese masters and the sound is good. The man behind it all is Jordi Pujol (also behind Fresh Sound, Blue Moon, Definitive, Jazz Factory), he is a "crook" in the record business, steals from every record company. I'm sorry to have admit, that I've purchased over 200 CD's from Planet over the years.

Vic

I'm very confused.

I read and hear comments praising Pujol for his forsight and encouragement of new musicians. He certainly comes across as a knowledgeable jazz fan.

And then I read him referred to as a 'crook'.

Could someone who knows the facts explain exactly what is going on here.

I'm genuinely perplexed.