'JAZZ ON A SUMMER'S DAY

Guest ariceffron

Hmmm...

I'm pretty sure the Mosaic booklet is stating that the Roach performance was filmed. If I'm reading it correctly (which I may well not be), the author of the essay in question (either Ben Young or Burt Korrall) actually saw the footage.

I'll check again tonight. I'm still plowing through the Max set, which I got with the free shipping offer two weeks ago.

Booker Little was a motherfucker - those arrangements on Many Sides of Max are just astounding.

Bertrand.

Edited by bertrand

Aric, one thing's for sure, that film is a classic, and has been a favorite for many years. The rarety alone makes it precious, for all of its drawbacks and "if onlys".

The scene where Fred Katz plays the cello in a dense cloud of smoke used to send our drummer into gales of laughter.

My all time favorite jazz movie, of the few that have ever been made, is "Round Midnight", and we even have two CDs of its music (one on BN, one on Columbia).

• 1 year later...

According to the notes in the Max Roach Mosaic booklet, the entire festival (or most of it) was filmed but most of it ended up on the cutting room floor. This includes the Max Roach quintet with Booker Little, and a Horace Silver quintet set. Does anyone now who was with Horace at Newport in 1958? I would love to see the Roach and Silver sets. DVD anyone? Bertrand.

Nothing like replying more than a year and a half later, right? The Horace Silver Quintet at Newport in 1958 included Louis Smith on trumpet, Junior Cook on tenor saxophone, Eugene Taylor on bass, and Louis Hayes on drums, and apparently you can see footage or buy a recording or whatever these things are from a Swedish company, as follows:

Tippin' Phontastic (Swd) PHONT NCD 8813

Various Artists - Newport Jazz Festival 1958, Vol. I: Mostly Miles (Phontastic (Swd) PHONT NCD 8813).

That information is from Horace Silver's discography, www.jazzdisco.org/silver/dis/c/ .

And yes, a lot of groups from Newport '58 hit the cutting-room floor, including those of Ray Charles, Miles Davis, Edward Kennedy "Duke" Ellington, Lee Konitz, Sonny Rollins, Joe Turner, and Randy Weston. Editor Aram Avakian's brother has stated that director / photographer Bert Stern botched the first day's filming, and Aram Avakian took over for the rest.

By the way, 22-year-old Henry Grimes played bass with no fewer than five groups in Newport '58: those of Sonny Rollins, Benny Goodman, Lee Konitz, Tony Scott, and Thelonious Monk (he can be seen in the film "Jazz on a Summer’s Day" playing with Mr. Monk and Roy Haynes -- not Max Roach). Yet Henry's name never appeared on the festival program at all. This is the kind of thing that will not happen again!

According to the notes in the Max Roach Mosaic booklet, the entire festival (or most of it) was filmed but most of it ended up on the cutting room floor. This includes the Max Roach quintet with Booker Little, and a Horace Silver quintet set. Does anyone now who was with Horace at Newport in 1958? I would love to see the Roach and Silver sets. DVD anyone? Bertrand.

Nothing like replying more than a year and a half later, right? The Horace Silver Quintet at Newport in 1958 included Louis Smith on trumpet, Junior Cook on tenor saxophone, Eugene Taylor on bass, and Louis Hayes on drums, and apparently you can see footage or buy a recording or whatever these things are from a Swedish company, as follows:

Various Artists - Newport Jazz Festival 1958, Vol. I: Mostly Miles (Phontastic (Swd) PHONT NCD 8813).

That information is from Horace Silver's discography, www.jazzdisco.org/silver/dis/c/ .

And yes, a lot of groups from Newport '58 hit the cutting-room floor, including those of Ray Charles, Miles Davis, Edward Kennedy "Duke" Ellington, Lee Konitz, Sonny Rollins, Joe Turner, and Randy Weston. Editor Aram Avakian's brother has stated that director / photographer Bert Stern botched the first day's filming, and Aram Avakian took over for the rest.

By the way, 22-year-old Henry Grimes played bass with no fewer than five groups in Newport '58: those of Sonny Rollins, Benny Goodman, Lee Konitz, Tony Scott, and Thelonious Monk (he can be seen in the film "Jazz on a Summer’s Day" playing with Mr. Monk and Roy Haynes -- not Max Roach). Yet Henry's name never appeared on the festival program at all. This is the kind of thing that will not happen again!

Hi Margaret!!!

m~

The above is a compilation CD that contains one track (Tippin') by Horace's group. This is the only recording of the lineup with Louis Smith - would love to get the whole set some day!

• 6 years later...

I totally concur on Anita.... That's one of the things that made her hip to me... I can imagine in her day how much she got hit on... :)

The travelling NewOrleans-style band is a surreal touch.

I like the movie a LOT.

Anita O'Day is hot, musically and visually.

Actually by sheer conicidence the other day I caught a radio feature (on a station I don't normally tune in to) on Anita O'day's career, and when Jazz On a Summer's Day came up the speaker mentioned how much Anita, dressed in her ultra-cool style (that we all are familiar with since watching that movie) stepped up for that afternoon show and soon had the relatively lazy and subdued public yelling and clapping for more ... And then her renditions of "Sweet Georgia Brown" and "Tea for Two" from that concert were aired.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Chuck Berry. I Keith Richard's autobiography he talks about seeing the film for Chuck and how (to him) the jazz musicians accompanying him seem to make fun of it all. I'be always thought

the Chuck Berry performance was one of the highlights of the film.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Chuck Berry. I Keith Richard's autobiography he talks about seeing the film for Chuck and how (to him) the jazz musicians accompanying him seem to make fun of it all. I'be always thought

the Chuck Berry performance was one of the highlights of the film.

Agreed, though when I first saw that movie (in my early 20s) what struck me most about Chuck Berry's appearance was how this seemed to prove there wasn't such an unsurmountable gap between jazz and r'n'r at that time, seing how the audience just had a big time.

OTOH I remember most period writeups of Bert Stern's film that I've since come across in old jazz mags made a point of disparaging Chuck Berry's appearance in that film, mentioning it as an all-time low in taste, etc. etc.

Not to be taken seriously with the benefit of hindsight, and clearly the audience was ahead of the scribes, but signs of the times anyway.