Sun Ra solo piano

Tend to agree about the piano solos albums not being Sun Ra's forte.

There is one album I really like, not a solo but the two musicians are so compatible; 'Visions' the SteepleChase album by Walt Dickerson with Sun Ra on piano. A very good duo date.

Edited by brownie

I enjoyed Sun Ra piano on the Arkestra session "Live at the Pitt Inn" DIW so much that I was intrigued by a reviewers suggestion ( in 1988 The Wire when it still had decent jazz content) that Ra's piano was like Herbie Nichols. Back then I'd never heard of Nichols but one "Love gloom cash love" later I was hooked and of course shortly after I discovered Mosaic :wub: . 20 or so sets later none quite match up to the first.

So Ra's piano playing cant be all bad. i've got Monorails, two good things about

a) It's short B) nice cover

Edited by Clunky

Guest ariceffron

DO NOT LISTEN TO "RDK"---- SUN RA SOLO PIANO IS EXTREMELY IMPORTANT NOT ONLY TO BETTER UNDERSTAND RA'S MUSIC BUT JAZZ IN GENERAL.

I WOULD RECOMMENED GETTING ALL SUN RA SOLO PIANO STUFF YOU CAN FIND-- THERE ISNT TOO MUCH BUT THERE ARE A NUMBER OF TITLES.

I AM HAPPY BEACUSE I JUST LOCATED A COPY OF THE VERY VERY RARE MONRAILS AND SATELITTES VOL. II. EVERYONE KNOWS VOL. 1 (RE-ISSSUED ON THE EVIDENCE SERIES) BUT VOL II IS GOOD TOO.

I HIGHLY RECCOMENED THE VOL 1 CD FOR A 1ST SOLO SET IT IS ONE OF MY MOST LISTENED TO SUN RA CDS.

• 9 months later...

Well, I followed the advice in the opening few posts, and got deeper into the band stuff before venturing into the solo piano music.

BUT - I've recently been really enjoying Monorails and Satellites and the Teatro La Fenice gig; the former especially. IMHO, an interesting point of comparison is Muhal Richard Abrams, e.g. Young at Heart/Wise in Time.

Ra sounds much much more introverted on the solo sessions.

Edit: hang on - is it self-evident that he would be on solo sessions :wacko: ? Oh well, I stick by the gist...

Edited by Red

• 2 weeks later...

Monorails and Satellites is my favorite. Here's something I wrote about it a few years ago on another site:

I don't play the piano, except in my dreams. And I mean that literally: sometimes, when I'm asleep, I dream that I'm playing the piano. And when I do, it sounds just like this Sun Ra record. So much so that I experienced a shock of recognition upon first playing this disc. Piquantly dissonant Ellingtonian note clusters struggling towards form and fitfully finding it; a species of stride with a dreamy deliquescence reminiscent of Dali's melting watch; a sidelong slipperiness of phrasing that brings to mind the impressionistic ballads of Andrew Hill or, again, Ellington. The previous reviewer found this recording too dissonant and abstract, and it's true that the first two tracks are among the disc's most daunting, but the more ballad-like numbers are quite accessible. There's even a relatively straightforward rendition of the standard Easy Street. This is one of Ra's few solo piano recordings and my nomination for the best. In fact, it's one of my favorite Ra albums period. (And you've got to love the classic cosmic cover art.)