Wadada Leo Smith question

You could try Wadada's and Henry Kaiser's take on electric Miles on Yo Miles(Shanachie). Some fine blowing and a lot of fun. Nothing spacy but a lot of hard playing.

Edited by JohnS

I'll happily add another recomendation for "Yo Miles!", which I think is really outstanding (most all of it, but all of Wadada Leo Smith's playing, especially!!), and, as someone said above, it is a ton of fun too.

And actually, I honestly think some of it is nearly as good as the real thing - as good as Miles in the 70's. Ok, not as impressive, because it's an homage to a style that exists now, but didn't exist when Miles was doing it. But, just on musical terms, I really do think "Yo Miles!" is probably the best of the several 70's Miles tributes that seem to be cropping up these days.

Sure it's long-winded, but wasn't Miles long-winded in the 70's too???

( The combined time of the two discs of "Yo Miles!" is nearly 2 hours and 40 minutes long, so it could have possibly done with some editing here and there. BUT, I haven't heard a live Miles record from the 70's that I couldn't have said the very same thing about. )

In short, by all means get it!!! :bwallace:

What they said.

Seriously, though. Red Sulphur Sky is a great disc! I agree with Chuck that you should check out his own compositions before heading over to Yo Miles!. Start with the Pi disc Wadada Leo Smith's Golden Quartet - Year of the Elephant. That will probably keep you coming back for more. The last issue of Suignal to Noise had a really nice interview with him, as well.

Honestly, if you can grab a copy of RSS easily just go for it. You won't regret it.

In addition to Chuck's Golden Quartet recommendations I can recommend his 1979 ECM album, Divine Love, with Lester Bowie, Kenny Wheeler, Dwight Andrews, Bobby Naughton, and Charlie Haden. It's still available in Europe.

Edited by J.A.W.

I'd pick up "Procession Of The Great Ancestry" on Chief too, before it disappears,something for everyone on that one.Also the two sets with What We Live are worth checking out,"Trumpets" on Black Saint and "Quintet For A Day" on New World-the former has cuts split between him and Dave Douglas and the latter sees them lock horns for the whole set-great stuff!

I'd pick up "Procession Of The Great Ancestry" on Chief too, before it disappears,something for everyone on that one.

Procession of the Great Ancestry is available from Chuck as Nessa N-26.

Edited by J.A.W.