Record Shops in Vancouver, BC

alejo

I’ll be heading to Vancouver, BC in July for a quick weekend getaway. Anyone here familiar with the area? I’ve been there a few times but mostly stayed in the downtown core and Stanley Park area. Looking for any record (vinyl) shops tips or recommendations about cool neighborhoods off the tourist track.

Thanks!

Alejandro

I get to Vancouver once a year. I've pretty much limited my browsing to either the Virgin Megastore or A&B Sound. The first time I ever went to A&B, I was blown away by how much jazz they had in stock. It took me a couple of hours just to get my arms around it. Sad to say, they've gone the way of a lot of other stores. The last time I was there in January, they hardly had anything worth getting and their stock was next to non-existant. Virgin has a lot more to choose from. They used to stock a fair number of Japanese recordings. They still have some of those and an occasional oddity, but it's not what it once was either. Price-wise, A&B is less across the board than Virgin. Can't help you much with the funky, out of the way places, although for sure they are there.

Good luck.

Up over and out.

I don't remember names, but there was a good vinyl place down in the "old town" part of town, which is TOTALLY touristy, but it's worth a trip down there just to catch this place. They had some rare stuff - although I will warn you not all pristine, much of it in only fair to good condition. If you can live with that, though, might be fun. I am still kicking myself for passing up a copy of the rare Chico Hamilton trio recording on Pacific Jazz - it wasn't in mint condition but would have been well worth it, still not sure why I didn't take the plunge except that I had already bought a bunch of other stuff. Lots of Blue Notes there - mostly late 60's to early 70's stuff. If you like that period - they had Lou Donaldson, Turrentine, etc titles.

There's another vinyl place somewhere near Robson St, it's on the second floor of a building if that helps you find it. I found Kenny Cox's two Blue Notes there.

Finally, there was a good vinyl store out in one of the neighborhoods near the downtown area - I'm hopeless with remembering names - it's to the South of downtown I believe. Found a few good things there too and that was the most reasonably priced place, plus they were in good condition. I believe I found all these places either on Web searches or by looking in the phone book once there, they've not hard to locate.

Other than a Virgin Megastore in the Robson area, not much great shopping really for CDs I'm afraid to say, unless I missed something.

I second the nomination of the "second floor near Robson" place. I picked up some great stuff there, including Ian Carr's Nucleus, which I'd never seen before. There is also a bookstore that has records and cds, but it's mostly jazz and classical. If you look in the phone book, under records, cds, etc.., and one sounds like a bookstore, check it out. It's right by an international school. Sorry to be so vague. There's one crazy dude who owns a record store right around the corner, but I think he was getting out of the business. I wouldn't have recommended it if it was still open. But this guy had a nude record sale, offering a deal to people who got naked. :huh: Have fun!

Again, thanks for the recommendations. With the research I did on the Internet and your advice I think I'll find some choice sides. If there happens to be a nude record sale I think I'll just pay the regular price. :D

The last time I was at that A&B Sound they had a 20% off sale - that was quite a few years ago though. Seems to happen during the holiday season, Thanksgiving, Canada Day etc. Thay had a good stock of CDs there at that time (especially box sets) but sounds like it's gone downhill.

I don't remember names, but there was a good vinyl place down in the "old town" part of town, which is TOTALLY touristy, but it's worth a trip down there just to catch this place. They had some rare stuff - although I will warn you not all pristine, much of it in only fair to good condition. If you can live with that, though, might be fun. I am still kicking myself for passing up a copy of the rare Chico Hamilton trio recording on Pacific Jazz - it wasn't in mint condition but would have been well worth it, still not sure why I didn't take the plunge except that I had already bought a bunch of other stuff. Lots of Blue Notes there - mostly late 60's to early 70's stuff. If you like that period - they had Lou Donaldson, Turrentine, etc titles.

There's another vinyl place somewhere near Robson St, it's on the second floor of a building if that helps you find it. I found Kenny Cox's two Blue Notes there.

Finally, there was a good vinyl store out in one of the neighborhoods near the downtown area - I'm hopeless with remembering names - it's to the South of downtown I believe. Found a few good things there too and that was the most reasonably priced place, plus they were in good condition. I believe I found all these places either on Web searches or by looking in the phone book once there, they've not hard to locate.

Other than a Virgin Megastore in the Robson area, not much great shopping really for CDs I'm afraid to say, unless I missed something.

I think you were referring to 'Gastown.' There's a CD store downstairs and a Vinyl store on the edge of 'gastown.'

• 2 years later...

Up! for any Vancouver recommendations: shops, clubs, coffee joints...

When are you coming? There is a great jazz fest in June and Andrew Hill is playing in April. It's good you have the Cellar on your radar.

In terms of record stores, Vancouver has gone from feast to famine. We used to have some of cheapest CDs in North America and tonnes of selection. Now most of the stores have shrunk or closed. Zulu Records on W. 4th is pretty good and Sikora's, located downtown, is great for classical music.

I don't really check out the clubs. Vancouver has an annoying 'worst aspects of L.A.' north kind of vibe. It's getting better, but too many either cater to the pretty people or barf-stawned yoof. I prefer Victoria, which is just a ferry ride away.

and Andrew Hill is playing in April. It's good you have the Cellar on your radar.

I'm pondering a visit over the next few months (was thinking of either April or June, when the main Jazz Festival events take place. Wish I could do both..) I see that Andrew is playing in trio format on April 12th at a Cathedral location. Sounds intriguing !

Any current recommendations on vinyl stores in Vancouver and Victoria? Thanks.

That A&B Sound store used to be the biz. Friwend of mine got the Coltrane Heavyweight Champ set for 20% off at one of their Canada Day sales. Their stores in Calgary and Edmonton used to be pretty good too.

Edited by sidewinder

and Andrew Hill is playing in April. It's good you have the Cellar on your radar.

I'm pondering a visit over the next few months (was thinking of either April or June, when the main Jazz Festival events take place. Wish I could do both..) I see that Andrew is playing in trio format on April 12th at a Cathedral location. Sounds intriguing !

Any current recommendations on vinyl stores in Vancouver and Victoria? Thanks.

That A&B Sound store used to be the biz. Friwend of mine got the Coltrane Heavyweight Champ set for 20% off at one of their Canada Day sales. Their stores in Calgary and Edmonton used to be pretty good too.

A & B went bankrupt a few years ago, but was bought by a new company and saved. Selection isn't the same, prices are higher and those 20% off sales are now 10%. They appear to be adding more stock at the moment, so there could be a mini-revival in the works. HMV, which took over Virgin's location, is now the biggest CD store, but at European prices. Magic Flute, which had a decent jazz selection, just went bankrupt.

Victoria has Ditch Records, which has a good selection of vinyl for a city that size. In Vancouver, Zulu has probably the broadest selection of vinyl, but at rip-off prices. Neptune on Main Street has a lot of vinyl, but it's mostly rock.

• 2 weeks later...

Just wrapping up a week in Vancouver, BC. Definitely one of my ‘top seven’ favorite Northam cities. I’d say that’s despite the record shopping situation, not because of it. Ahem. I suppose if I was still buying, record shops might carry more import and knock Vancouver down a notch. But I love the town for its newspaper culture (I’ve been reading six or so local and national dailies – Sun, Courier, Province, Globe and Mail, Post...) Recommended weeklies: WE and (Georgia) Straight. Pizza is frighteningly cheap – starting from about Can$1 a slice. Fortunately, I’m vegetarian, so I was able to steer clear of this potential hazard. And the ubiquitous all-you-can-eat sushi joints.

Zulu’s (4th) really the best place I surveyed. Some vinyl, some new CDs (good selection, if not huge) and some used. A jazz listening station that was non-operational during my visit. Lots of other listening stations that had a pretty eclectic selection of music. Used stuff was Can$8-9-10.

Magic Flute (4th) is, indeed, bankrupt. There’s a liquidation sale beginning next week. Westside, a couple of blocks away is also gone.

Future Shop (Robson/Granville) has about the worst selection and pricing I’ve seen in a while, particularly in a well-heeled store.

A&B (Seymour)…well, they had a fair selection of new CDs at market prices. Note: not in the phone book under CDs, Records, Music...

Noize, just about next door had a few new and few-more used CDs. The owner seems to have more taste than capital.

Albion (Richards),just thru the alley from Noize, was interesting. It’s mainly a bookstore, with a bunch of jazz LPs – good selection. Very few CDs. Decent jazz books too.

A couple of places nearly side-by-side (Granville near Robson) are Charlie’s and some no-name-obvious CD/Record Shop. Charlie’s is far better, but that’s not saying much.

Time permitting, I may hit Broadway before I split.

Two more, both on Main, around 19th.

Albion. Purportedly a jazz and classical store. Not far off the mark, but weighted toward classical. Lots of cutout CDs at retail. And some non-cut outs too. Really not a bad selection, but no bargains that I found. Overall, so sterile it gave me the heebie jeebies. Wear a tie when you go.

Neptoonz. Second best in town, from what I saw. Decent new and used CD and LPs. A buck higher than Zulu for typical stuff. Some 'depth of catalog'. Worth a trip.

It's a wrap and I'm gone.

• 1 year later...

Any updates since mine, 21 months ago?

Club info?

A & B downtown is now gone. The "Albion" you refer to on Main is actually Adagio. You describe the atmosphere in there brilliantly. It and another Main St. shop, Red Cat Records, have really expanded their vinyl selection. Sikora's and Scrape (metal) seem to be thriving; the rest are surviving. HMV has lowered its prices to the extent that buying there now seems like a business transaction as opposed to being robbed.

Vancouver is not known for its clubs unless you like big screen TVs and vomiting low-brows. The Cellar on Broadway is a nice jazz place, however. Harold Mabern plays there every year or so.

Any updates since mine, 21 months ago?

Club info?

A & B downtown is now gone. The "Albion" you refer to on Main is actually Adagio. You describe the atmosphere in there brilliantly. It and another Main St. shop, Red Cat Records, have really expanded their vinyl selection. Sikora's and Scrape (metal) seem to be thriving; the rest are surviving. HMV has lowered its prices to the extent that buying there now seems like a business transaction as opposed to being robbed.

Vancouver is not known for its clubs unless you like big screen TVs and vomiting low-brows. The Cellar on Broadway is a nice jazz place, however. Harold Mabern plays there every year or so.

I was, very briefly, in Vancouver in September and was staying near the main HMV store. Some of their prices were indeed reasonable and they had a number of jazz discs at C$15 for two (I bought a couple of Keepnews Collection CD's at this price).