Water Reissues of Pearson and Wilson

jazzbo

Wow. I am enjoying these two new Water Records Blue Note reissues! The sound is excellent. Booklets and tray cards feature really nice photos. There are new notes (okay) and original notes.

Here's hoping they continue to lease and release items that EMI may not!

I'm with you Lon! I picked up the Rueben Wilson, (but not the Pearson as I bought the Mosaic)...I really like it! As has been pointed out elsewhere on this board, this album (#4 for Wilson on BN) is different than his earlier work. He does rely on pop tune material of the day, but I feel there is enough substance and groove to make this an enjoyable outing!

I also look forward to more Water releases - the Eddie Gale is cool. Any proposed future Water releases on the horizon? I think the 1970's Blue Note sessions are perfect for Water re-issue...Jeremy Steig - "Wayfaring Stranger", for example - or Horace Silver's "You Gotta Take A little Love" - or how about Rueben Wilson's "On Broadway" - now there's an idea!

(Goin' out to get the Fantasy Groove Holmes reissue today...also, another Monk release on Hyena due today with BONUS DVD!) :P

Thanks for the headsup on the Monk Hyena, I'd forgottent that was due out. Yes, I agree with your suggested releases, and think they would make great Water reissues. I don't have any news about their upcoming plans. . .wish I did; they have never answered any emails I've sent their way. . . .

Maybe Water will eventually look into reissuing these:

bluenote3%20056.jpg

blue%20note4%20027.jpg

And maybe Blue Mitchell's Bantu Village?

TOTALLY AGREE LATE! ...I'm with you in your desire to see these Cox lps resurface...I have Multidirection on vinyl and really dig- kinda like groovy Miles-influenced Detroit-Cleveland jazz - for lack of better description - would love to hear "Introducing" and the Blue Mitchell!

I'm somewhat a Blue Note completist and lack these particular titles! B)

And it's not like BN is ever gonna release those Kenny Cox albums on CD.

(Not a chance in hell, if you as me.)

I've got burns of both of them, and they're quite good. They won't change your life or anything, but as examples of one of the earliest reactions to Miles 2nd quintet, I do think they are fairly important (historically speaking).

Bring 'em on!! B)

Edited by Rooster_Ties

• 2 weeks later...

I passed on the Pearson as I have the Mosaic Select, but I just received the Reuben Wilson. Very nicely done from a packaging and sound standpoint. I'm diggin' the music as well. Very much in the Rare Groove mode of the late 60s, early 70s Blue Notes that many of us are familiar with (and some, myself included, actually dig B) )

Wonder if with the two recent Water licensing agreements and the fact that there was no Rare Groove release this year, BN is throwing in the towel on their own Rare Groove series. Hope these sell well enough for Water to continue to lease from BN.

I e-mailed Water about the Cox titles, but it seems they have a policy of not responding to unsolicited e-mails? Maybe if more posters here sent them (courteous) e-mails about the possibility of licensing the Cox titles from Blue Note ... who knows, maybe they'd see a demand for a product that Blue Note might not!

I emailed them about an hour and 1/2 ago with a compliment on their Blue Note releases, my hopes that they will continue to mine the EMI vaults for material and my suggestion that they look at Nat Adderley's Soul Zodiac as a possibility.

Got a response just now with a link to their updated website:

Water Records by Runt Distribution

• 2 weeks later...

I do not know the catalogue of McCann, is this a good one to start with?

If you like soulful piano that fits into the Three Sounds/Ramsey Lewis vibe, I would start with McCann's Pacific Jazz LPs, which were popular enough that they aren't terribly hard to find, should you be willing to buy vinyl.

I do not know the catalogue of McCann, is this a good one to start with?

If you like soulful piano that fits into the Three Sounds/Ramsey Lewis vibe, I would start with McCann's Pacific Jazz LPs, which were popular enough that they aren't terribly hard to find, should you be willing to buy vinyl.

I've always said: "Give me MORE jazz and LESS McCann".