jazzbo

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Discussion threads on dead.net run by Blair Jackson are currently touting and asking opinions about the 1990-95 ("after Brent") band, seemingly on behalf of Rhino. Fair enough, though it would be a huge bummer for the majority of the older fan community, in my opinion, if any of the subscription series releases featured that music. I think the releases this year have been pretty good (though unimpressive to intense, opinionated '77 and '74 obsessed), though not featuring much visceral, avant-wooly Dead that some of us really treasure. Instead, we've gotten consistent quality tour sets that solidified their live reputation in the mid 70s, fine by me. I've chimed in ten times on that board about how bad the very late era GD sounds on disc, been asked to STFU, and ok I will stand down. Your turn if you care.

I treat it almost like an iTunes track, but one late Dead song I go to is the rehearsal of "Whiskey In The Jar" on the last disc of the So Many Roads box. Part of my joy is hearing Jerry say "he just remembered it" which is a fib since he was playing it with Grisman earlier in the week, but it's just fun to hear them talk, goof around and play it. I have to be extremely careful with that disc as the most dangerous track in the world is on it, aka "Way To Go Home." Guh!

Those post-Touch kids are in their mid-to-late 30s and older now and maybe have some money, so I do expect them to target them for some sales at some point, though I think they have enough feedback through sales by now that they know what sells. I would think the Hampton Warlocks set moved a few units.

Found "The Closing of Winterland" cheaply in the bins yesterday (still sealed, but with broken teeth on the inner part of the jumbo jewel case, it turned out - alas never found any good replaments for those, just very cheap ones).

This will be the very latest Dead I'm going to hear - guess it's a fine entry point, post "Wake of the Flood" and "Blues for Allah"?

this isn't directed at you Quincy but i can't believe some of utter crap touted on this board-- jazz and non- (especially non-)-- and yet there are also people wholly dismissive of later-- admittedly dying-- Dead. i'd rather Jerry's knees than all Keith Richards and Robbie Roberston (or the Stones, or the Band, or any fucking Beatles cover by anyone, JG included) combined (just as a for instance). re: "So Many Roads," there are couple dire selections there, yes, but also some gems as you note.

I treat it almost like an iTunes track, but one late Dead song I go to is the rehearsal of "Whiskey In The Jar" on the last disc of the So Many Roads box. Part of my joy is hearing Jerry say "he just remembered it" which is a fib since he was playing it with Grisman earlier in the week, but it's just fun to hear them talk, goof around and play it. I have to be extremely careful with that disc as the most dangerous track in the world is on it, aka "Way To Go Home." Guh!

Those post-Touch kids are in their mid-to-late 30s and older now and maybe have some money, so I do expect them to target them for some sales at some point, though I think they have enough feedback through sales by now that they know what sells. I would think the Hampton Warlocks set moved a few units.

• 1 month later...

There have been 3 discs released already; we'll see if there's anything left in the can. Because it says "Keystone Companions," I assume it won't include any of the studio recordings. This is some of my favorite Jerry; I once called it Grateful Dead with soul.

• 1 month later...

They're also available around the net with the back panels as well.

I just have three more shows to listen to and I'll be all the way through the set once. Amazing mastering and music.

Title list at:

http://www.allmusic.com/album/keystone-companions-the-complete-fantasy-recordings-of-merl-saunders-mw0002369353

And more info at:

http://www.jambase.com/Articles/94847/Merl-Saunders-and-Jerry-Garcia-Complete-Recordings-Reissue

Alex

• 1 month later...

I have 3 CDs from the Keystone sets. (including My Funny Valentine) Is there any additional material in the box?

Yes: Alternate versions of Keepers, ITALTL, My Funny Valentine, The Harder They Come, How Sweet It Is, and Someday Baby. Also, "An instrumental excerpt titled "Space" on the original release is restored to its original context, the July 11 performance of "Merl's Tune.""

I have never heard any of the prior releases and I have played about a 1/3 of the set.

So far I am really surprised how much different Jerry's playing is in comparison to with the Dead.

Really love the sound of him playing behind Merl when he takes a solo.

This is interesting, from the liner notes: "In December 1970, Saunders replaced Howard Wales at a weekly jam session with Garcia, bassist John Kahn, and drummer Bill Vitt at the Matrix in San Francisco. The audience grew over time until the place was packed every week. Saunders taught Garcia standards like "My Funny Valentine" and "Georgia On My Mind," and the pair bonded over John Lennon's "Imagine." Quoted in Blair Jackson's excellent biography Garcia: An American Life, Jerry said: "I'd never played any standards; I'd never played in dance bands. I never had any approach to the world of regular, straight music. He knows all the standards, and he taught me how bebop works. He taught me music.""

That last sentence is a little hyperbolic, IMHO; Garcia seemed to be doing just fine up until that point. But Saunders led him to expand even further.

I have never heard any of the prior releases and I have played about a 1/3 of the set.

So far I am really surprised how much different Jerry's playing is in comparison to with the Dead.

Really love the sound of him playing behind Merl when he takes a solo.

This is interesting, from the liner notes: "In December 1970, Saunders replaced Howard Wales at a weekly jam session with Garcia, bassist John Kahn, and drummer Bill Vitt at the Matrix in San Francisco. The audience grew over time until the place was packed every week. Saunders taught Garcia standards like "My Funny Valentine" and "Georgia On My Mind," and the pair bonded over John Lennon's "Imagine." Quoted in Blair Jackson's excellent biography Garcia: An American Life, Jerry said: "I'd never played any standards; I'd never played in dance bands. I never had any approach to the world of regular, straight music. He knows all the standards, and he taught me how bebop works. He taught me music.""

That last sentence is a little hyperbolic, IMHO; Garcia seemed to be doing just fine up until that point. But Saunders led him to expand even further.

I tend to have a rule of listening to the music first before reading the liner notes on my LPs and boxsets.

I am about halway through the set, I might have to break my rule.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone heard any talk about a new 1971 Winterland boxset or release of 5/30/1971?

On the Record Store Day Black Friday release list there was this listed:

Grateful Dead Live atWinterland (5/30/1971) Rhino double LP gatefold 7500

I thought a CD reissue might coincide with it since that is what they have done in the past with the Europe '72 Vol. 2 pressing last year and the pressing of Dark Star from the Olympia Theatre show on 5/4/72 that came out this Spring.