jazzbo

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Grateful Dead's Jerry Garcia would have turned 71 on Aug. 1. On Thursday and Friday at Davies Symphony Hall near Garcia's old home turf, the San Francisco Symphony will perform about 15 Garcia-related pieces arranged by Steven Bernstein, Sean O'Loughlin and Chris Walden. Warren Haynes will be out front singing and playing guitar, including, on occasion, Garcia's Wolf, handmade in 1973.

The idea for what's called the "Jerry Garcia Symphonic Celebration With Warren Haynes" began with Garcia's estate, which contacted Mr. Haynes—a superb guitarist best known for reviving the Allman Brothers Band and for his group Gov't Mule—to guide a project in which Garcia's compositions and favorite pieces would be performed by full orchestras.

Accustomed to working with rock lineups, Mr. Haynes at first suggested 50 songs either written by or associated with Garcia, who died in 1995. They settled on a playlist of 23, a more manageable number.

More here:

WSJ

Edited by mjzee

Just got back from seeing "Sunshine Daydream," a new movie about a 1972 GD concert. The Dead, at the height of their powers (just back from the Europe 72 tour), played a benefit concert for an Oregon creamery owned by Ken Kesey's family. A local film crew shot the concert (very reminiscent of Woodstock). It was fascinating to see the Dead so up close, and to see them improvise a very intense version of Dark Star in front of my eyes was just incredible. Glad I went.

http://www.dead.net/features/grateful-dead-meet-movies/grateful-dead-meet-movies-2013-sunshine-daydream

I've seen this film (on dvd-r, from traders) and it's a hoot! I'm hoping this comes out as a Blur-ray soon. I went to see The Grateful Dead movie when they had it in the theaters a bit ago and honest to gosh both picture and sound were better at my home than in the theater!

Edited by jazzbo

The sound varies I am sure from theater to theater. The sound was very edgy and digitally at the theater I saw the Movie in, excellent sound as always at my house.

I don't think the price is TOO out of line for this. . . I pre-ordered the Blu-ray edition.

Almost went to see this last night.

I will order the Blu-Ray and the CD for what to me is reasonable @ $54.98.

I only have a few of the 1972 sets (one of which I will be listening to on a longish drive to Binghamton, NY later today) as 1972 is rightly revered as one of the best times for the band - and the set list is strong.

As this is a local show they had to open a 2nd theater as the 1st theater sold old. This caused some problems for people trying to meet up with each other. In the documentary before the film there were at least a dozen people in the room who were appearing on the screen (Nancy's yogurt folks and such) so it was funny to hear the reactions. Afterwards in the lobby I nearly had my foot (wearing sandals) stepped on by someone backing up to photograph a friend with Babbs. It was like a night at the opera only much more casual.

It's been reedited* some from the last bootleg version that circulated. There's less Acid Test footage at the beginning, it returns some later which it didn't do. There's more "humor" interspersed between songs and perhaps a little more collage filler for those moments where I'm guessing that they didn't have band footage or perhaps they had a higher opinion of the art than I did.

I'm waffling on whether to buy this too. I've had copies of the music on tape & CD and it's sounded great yet this isn't a show I visit very often any more. It's been that way for about 10 years where if I want post-Pigpen '72 (which might be my favorite era) I'm probably heading for September. And I have 2 different versions of the movie and it's something that I don't watch very often, and when I do invariably the laptop comes out. I'm guessing it will be available for viewing at the beer theaters around here for years to come so maybe that's how it should be handled. Not that any future showing would be as big of an event as last night around here. On the other hand I'd love to have the blu-ray just for "China-Rider," "Jack Straw" and "Bird Song" (and the "Dark Star" wouldn't suck either). Decisions...If they provided the full concert as blu-ray audio I'd jump at it. instead they mess around with vinyl and who the hell wants to flip a Dark Star?

*edit - Actually not so much. The uh, artistic stuff in "Dark Star" that involves manatees with lipstick and such is in the circulating copy. (This is one of those things that I try to blot from my mind each time it's played). But I think some clips here & there are different. And most certainly there's been a lot of color correction work as you'd expect. The sky isn't as blue behind naked man on a pole in the bootleg copy. Gotta have naked pole guy clear as possible with a blue sky backdrop, so ordered. :lol:

Edited by Quincy

4/24/78 just arrived. I'm still working through the '77 box. Another reason why I'm not springing for Sunshine Daydream. As The Beatles sang, it's all too much.

A note about the film: very disappointing that there's so little Keith footage. That may have been the fault of the amateurish cameramen, but still. The segment of the baby with the ice cream and the dog is priceless; worth the cost of admission.

4/24/78 just arrived. I'm still working through the '77 box. Another reason why I'm not springing for Sunshine Daydream. As The Beatles sang, it's all too much.

A note about the film: very disappointing that there's so little Keith footage. That may have been the fault of the amateurish cameramen, but still. The segment of the baby with the ice cream and the dog is priceless; worth the cost of admission.

Heck . . I still have only listened to DaP's 6 one time all the way through, let alone May '77. I've barely touched the surface of Spring 1990 as well. Since this is not going to be limited edition, I will wait a while before I purchase

Heck . . I still have only listened to DaP's 6 one time all the way through, let alone May '77. I've barely touched the surface of Spring 1990 as well. Since this is not going to be limited edition, I will wait a while before I purchase

Really? Dead.net says it's an "individually numbered, limited edition of 12,500." Will there be a more general release? That would be good; I just want the music.

Really? Dead.net says it's an "individually numbered, limited edition of 12,500." Will there be a more general release? That would be good; I just want the music.

I would recommend getting a 2nd opinion for confirmation, but I'm fairly certain that it's just the tie-dyed slipcase, book and individual number that is limited, or a "dead.net exclusive." A version without these features will be available from other outlets later on.

I pre-ordered the blu ray. My 2nd favorite Dark Star, after 2/27/69 of course. It will be nice to have a clean version of this film after watching numerous boots of it over the years.

I would recommend getting a 2nd opinion for confirmation, but I'm fairly certain that it's just the tie-dyed slipcase, book and individual number that is limited, or a "dead.net exclusive." A version without these features will be available from other outlets later on.

They definitely will release an non limited edition just like they did with the Europe '72 box. They got burned on the LDBS by making it a one time only thing. They won't make that mistake again.

I got the blu-ray too as I got over my initial griping very quickly. :lol: For curiosity's sake at some point I'll play the better of my boot copies on a laptop at the same time as the blu-ray to see how they're different. Consider it the Dead version of playing Dark Side Of The Moon to The Wizard Of Oz.

And the DVD/CD package of Sunshine Daydream is showing up on Amazon for $30.34. Yesterday the pre-order had a wrong disc count (2) and now they have a proper DVD package. No blu-ray package yet.

http://www.amazon.com/Sunshine-Daydream-Veneta-3xCD-DVD/dp/B00E34A9FU/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1375895828&sr=1-1&keywords=sunshine+daydream

There is a whole love/hate thing with the Dead in the family. My younger sister for example thinks they might as well call most every song I, IV, V. I happen to like them.....@ least on nights they're performing Dark Star. It's not scientific...but I think there best live performances occur on days they perform Dark Star. I know there are certain years, tours, add in Pigpen.

May 1977. There isn't a single Dark Star. Yes, or no?

Edited by Blue Train

EXCLUSIVE TO DEAD.NET VERSION:

• Bonus documentary “Grateful Days” featuring brand new interviews with Mountain Girl, Sam Cutler, Wavy Gravy, Ken Babbs, and more

• 40-page book featuring original essays by Nicholas G. Meriwether, Ken Babbs, Sam Field, Johnny Dwork, and David Lemieux

• Original tie-dye slipcase by Courtenay Pollock

• Illustrations by Steve Vance

• Individually Numbered, Limited Edition of 12,500

Pulled straight from the dead.net site. I think if Amazon sold a "non-limited edition" copy of the blu-ray and cd, i'd probably snatch that up

You are correct, no Dark Stars in the May '77 box.

Sorry, this is what happens when posting by phone and on the run. I meant yes, or no on should I buy it since it doesn't fall under my unscientific theory about Dark Star?

Investigate whether or not you enjoy "The Other One." If you do then you may not need "Dark Star." Really, I know this sounds scandalous or absurd, but it's quite possible. This works for years '69 thru '74 to some extent, although some nights you got both or you might not get either one. Some nights there was a Truckin> and other stuff instead of Dark Star or The Other One. For some it's not about any of these songs but whether they get (Morning) Dew'd. Not to mention the massive Playing In The Bands you'd get from '72-'74 which might have been the greatest thing they ever did, were it not for the beauty of "Bird Song" (fall '72 on) or the purdy (full) "Weather Report Suites" in '73-'74. I'm leaving stuff out too (Pigpen favs, Help>Slip>Frank, and so on) to keep this semi-brief.

Think of '77 (or at least May) as sunnier and not necessitating Dark Stars, though I reckon they would have been nice had they tried. And while I'm certainly a Dark Star admirer (to put it mildly), it was not a requirement for a great show. :rlol

You are correct, no Dark Stars in the May '77 box.

Sorry, this is what happens when posting by phone and on the run. I meant yes, or no on should I buy it since it doesn't fall under my unscientific theory about Dark Star?

I like your theory, and think it has a lot of validity. It was fascinating watching "Sunshine Daydream" and seeing the guys create an amazing Dark Star out of nothing. There was a creative mind meld going on, where they could effortlessly create this intense thing of beauty. And I think that's what you're referring to. By 1977 I think they were on route to becoming a different sort of band. This was documented in Lesh's book, and can really be heard in the '77 box. I think they liked each other less, and wanted more of a distance, a more "manageable" relationship rather than the wild, creative thing they had before. (My own personal theory is that the readdition of Mickey also greatly inhibited their creative flow.) The band on the '77 box is now slower, nicer, more approachable. They're playing more "set pieces," and even the improvs are more songs-strung-together than organic flow.

But I like the box, because the vibe is amazing. Each concert is like sinking into a marshmallow; you just want to stay there. And the sound quality is great. The only downside is having to buy a limited-edition box; I'm not sure I need 5 concerts of this.

I agree with the comment about adding Mickey Hart back in to the band.

Never as good as 1970 - 74 which is my favorite period. The second drummer, just like (IMO) when a great jazz band adds a second percussionist, stifles the flexibility of the band. It also coincided when the band's sound became heavier and fuller (at least on the live shiows I have from 77 & 79) with the seocnd drummer added to the mix.

I do still very much like Dead Set from 1980 as for whatever reason, it has a rejuvinated Garcia as compared to the Nassua LI set I have from the previous year.

Edited by Steve Reynolds

I agree with the comment about adding Mickey Hart back in to the band.

Never as good as 1970 - 74 which is my favorite period. The second drummer, just like (IMO) when a great jazz band adds a second percussionist, stifles the flexibility of the band. It also coincided when the band's sound became heavier and fuller (at least on the live shiows I have from 77 & 79) with the seocnd drummer added to the mix.

Agree with all of this. Mickey's first stint in the band was incredible but they never really got back to where they were in 72-74 when he rejoined.