jazzbo

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The 2017 Dave's Picks subscription is now available at: http://www.dead.net/store/special-edition-shops/almanac/daves-picks-2017-subscription?intcmp=store/bigbanner1

The early bird pricing, as in prior years, is $99.98.  HOWEVER, they're offering this price only through November 28, so if you're gonna jump in, better do it now.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Dave's Picks 22 has been announced:

We're following that up with the complete show from 12/7/71 at the Felt Forum in New York City, from the famous run of shows in the lower level of Madison Square Garden. Tapes from this run of shows have circulated for decades, but never sounding like this. Featuring the return of Pigpen, who had been absent from the Dead since 8/26/71, the show features five Pigpen-sung songs, including what is arguably the best version of Smokestack Lightning. Every song from this show is played to perfection, presenting definitive live versions of every song played from this era. Because the show is relatively short at "only" two and a half hours, we have added the bulk of the second set from the previous night, including a massive Other One jam, and exceptional renditions of Wharf Rat and Uncle John's Band. And to make this release akin to a mini-box set, the 2017 Bonus Disc will feature the bulk of the rest of this 12/6/71 show, giving you two nearly-complete shows from one of the most requested and sought-after runs in Grateful Dead history.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Official release of Cornell 1977 and adjoining shows coming in May

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/premieres/hear-grateful-deads-morning-dew-from-iconic-cornell-show-w467114

Email from The Grateful Dead says:

Four Complete Shows on 11 discs

• 5/5/77 Veterans Memorial Coliseum: New Haven, CT

• 5/7/77 Boston Garden: Boston, MA

• 5/8/77 Barton Hall, Cornell University: Ithaca, NY

• 5/9/77 Buffalo Memorial Auditorium: Buffalo, NY

• Sourced from the master Betty Boards, transferred and restored by Plangent Processes

• Mastered in HDCD by Jeffrey Norman

• Artwork by Grammy-winning graphic artist Masaki Koike

• The unreleased book Cornell '77: The Music, The Myth And The Magnificence Of The Grateful Dead's Concert At Barton Hall by Peter Conners, published by Cornell University Press

• In-depth essay by noted Dead scholar Nicholas Meriwether

• Producer's Note by David Lemieux

Individually Numbered, Limited Edition of 15,000

Release Date: May 5, 2017

Links in the email don't work currently; maybe they are being inundated.

Edited by Adam
updated info; spelling

Over on SHF and the .net thread there's still the rare report of an order going through.  I began trying online just 10 minutes after the notice hit email, and about 30 minutes later jumped into the CS phone queue while continuing attempts to order from the site.  After 3 hours, 5 dropped calls (terminated every 30 minutes), literally dozens of electronic error messages while attempting to cart the box, and 5 failed order confirmations after I'd managed to get the product into the cart, I quit. 

And all this for shows of which I have near-commercial grade SBDs.  Maybe I should start looking for meetings.

Problem solved!  The dysfunctional Dead.net order page is now linked to the apparently operational Rhino webstore....so, return to .net and keep trying to cart until you are transferred to Rhino.  I just received email confirmation.  WOOT!

41 minutes ago, Kate said:

Problem solved!  The dysfunctional Dead.net order page is now linked to the apparently operational Rhino webstore....so, return to .net and keep trying to cart until you are transferred to Rhino.  I just received email confirmation.  WOOT!

Likewise, after a couple of hours of trying to reload the dead.net page punctuated with occasional swearing. I can't believe they weren't able to figure out that the site was going to get slammed as soon as this was announced, and at least temporarily scale up capacity to handle the demand beforehand. I'm still pissed off about the Europe '72 fiasco, and am not entirely convinced that I won't wind up empty-handed with this one as well despite having an order confirmation in hand.

Just received from GD:

We are reaching out to you regarding MAY 1977: GET SHOWN THE LIGHT and CORNELL 5/8/77.

We are very sorry for the technical issues that have plagued Dead.net since we announced the products.

We are working around the clock to get things back up and running smoothly.

In the meantime, intermittent orders are still going through.

THESE TITLES HAVE NOT SOLD OUT.

If you have not been able to complete your order thus far, you are welcome to keep trying.

We will update you as soon as the website and shopping cart are back at full capacity.

We are very sorry for the inconvenience and thank you for your continued patience.

Sincerely,
Dead.net

Just a word of caution regarding the Rhino/Warner webstore:  Yesterday, almost immediately after "the big fix", a few posters on .net reported fraudulent activity on their Paypal accounts after completing purchase.  This afternoon, out of curiosity, I carted a box and, upon being linked to the R/W store, Norton securities intervened with the dreaded Red Fraud Shield, recommending that I abort and return to my home page.  I've begun checking my CC account online every so often throughout the day.  No problems, but vigilance is warranted./p,k 

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/8/2017 at 5:07 PM, mjzee said:

I got a nice little surprise today.  I noticed that the dead.net store still had CDs in stock of Road Trips #1 & 2 (Fall '79 and October '77).  They arrived today, and #1 still had the bonus disc!

Those are both great. Reason they are available is probably because they are best of from fall runs of 77 & 79 and many Dead collectors only want full shows. To me since I'll never get more that a couple other late 79 boxes - I have Dick's Picks 5 and I would love the other RT from December, the 79 set is priceless to me. Not a huge fan of post early 78 Dead but that set is stunning. Like a show on Steroids!!! No fluff or filler.  

On 3/10/2017 at 6:49 PM, Steve Reynolds said:

Those are both great. Reason they are available is probably because they are best of from fall runs of 77 & 79 and many Dead collectors only want full shows. To me since I'll never get more that a couple other late 79 boxes - I have Dick's Picks 5 and I would love the other RT from December, the 79 set is priceless to me. Not a huge fan of post early 78 Dead but that set is stunning. Like a show on Steroids!!! No fluff or filler.  

what exact Fall 79 show are you referring to ?

• 1 month later...