jazzbo

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

10 hours ago, orchiddoctor said:

Apparently, these sell out to ebay resellers. If you want one, buy it early as the prices go up quickly.

I buy myself the Dave's Picks subscription for Christmas every year. It is the sure-fire way to be sure you don't get closed out of any of the titles, particularly given how unreliable the website is during times of high traffic/demand. So far I have found the series to be good. I tend to go for up to around '77 or '78 but I've been revisiting the Branford show from Spring '90 and I think I might have a burgeoning interest in some of the later stuff...although I'm not sure that I'll ever warm up to the stuff that features Brent on lead vocals.

One of the reasons I stopped going to their shows in 1972 was the increasingly large crowds. The 76-77 shows were generally in smaller places,  but the style wasn't the same--and I was into other music. Wouldn't want to see grandpa Bob in an arena. $100 to see musicians way past their prime. Just an opinion. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/3/2017 at 2:09 PM, mjzee said:

You must mean some other show, Chewy - they didn't play Shakedown in Binghamton in '79.  See: https://archive.org/details/gd1979-05-09.nak700.glassberg.motb.85421.sbeok.flac16

oh god, im failing....hold on one sec....

1 hour ago, chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez said:

oh god, im failing....hold on one sec....

heres the show i meant!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  listen to the shakedown

https://archive.org/details/gd79-05-11.gato.vernon.19268.sbeok.shnf

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

"For Dave's Picks Vol. 26, we're heading back to the Fall of 1971, when Pigpen was home resting, and Keith was a month into his tenure with the Grateful Dead, for the complete show on 11/17/71 in Albuquerque. This was the Dead's first show in New Mexico, and they welcomed the welcoming New Mexican crowd with some of the best music they played in all of 1971. The 15-song first set is only outdone by the spectacular second set, featuring one of the most powerful and intense versions of "The Other One" you'll ever hear, as well as a "Not Fade Away" that rivals the one played two nights earlier on 11/15/71 in Austin. Add to this that CD 3 is rounded out with half of the 12/14/71 show in Ann Arbor (with Pigpen back on stage!), and the 2018 Dave's Picks Subscribers' Bonus Disc features the other half of 12/14/71, and you have a release featuring two of the best shows of the second half of 1971." - David Lemieux

2 hours ago, mjzee said:

"For Dave's Picks Vol. 26, we're heading back to the Fall of 1971, when Pigpen was home resting, and Keith was a month into his tenure with the Grateful Dead, for the complete show on 11/17/71 in Albuquerque. This was the Dead's first show in New Mexico, and they welcomed the welcoming New Mexican crowd with some of the best music they played in all of 1971. The 15-song first set is only outdone by the spectacular second set, featuring one of the most powerful and intense versions of "The Other One" you'll ever hear, as well as a "Not Fade Away" that rivals the one played two nights earlier on 11/15/71 in Austin. Add to this that CD 3 is rounded out with half of the 12/14/71 show in Ann Arbor (with Pigpen back on stage!), and the 2018 Dave's Picks Subscribers' Bonus Disc features the other half of 12/14/71, and you have a release featuring two of the best shows of the second half of 1971." - David Lemieux

Not thrilled. Dave’s 22 from December 1971 was meh at best. 

They should have at least picked 12/15/71 which includes a Dark Star

On 7/17/2017 at 0:33 PM, mjzee said:

So I've owned a Dead bootleg for more than 40 years, simply titled GD-2233:

R-5700145-1470962665-1013.jpeg.jpg

On it, there's an amazing performance listed as "Doin' That Rag / Jam" recorded "November 1970, Action House, L.I."  But the Dead didn't play DTR after 1969, and they didn't play the Action House in November 1970.  After searching a long time for more details, I found it today on archive.org.  It was a performance at Cafe au Go-Go in Greenwich Village on 9/29/69.  The amazing jam is a composition titled The Seven, which they played only 4 times in its existence.  See: https://archive.org/details/gd69-09-29.aud.early.hollister.79.sbeok.shnf/gd69-09-29t06.shn  I recommend the VBR M3U for a seamless listen.

2 things. That boot consists of tunes from a few different tapes (I used to have a copy). They did play st Actuon House in Nov. 70--I saw those shows--and there is a fragment on archive. I was also at that Cafe Au Go Go show. (My first show was 6-9-67 at the Cafe). They were messing with the jam, but let it go. Same as the Eleven by that young me. Too complicated for the more song oriented band. 

https://archive.org/details/gd70-11-09.aud.hanno.7591.sbeok.shnf

An addendum.

On 7/17/2017 at 7:41 PM, Kate said:

MJ:  Phenomenal!  Finishing my 2nd pass at this set as I type.  Though center mass in (one of) my preferred periods, I wasn't familiar with The Seven.  Hope you don't mind, but I x-pollinated your post, and my response, over on SHF's "Grateful Thread", as this thing - and The7 in particular - deserve introduction to a broader audience.

FYI: http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/the-grateful-thread.349350/page-1653

The seven was likely performed more than 4 times. I heard it at least twice--I believe at the Capital in Portchester as well as Cafe AGG. Unfortunately, there were a lot of untapped shows in 1970, and there has been a fair amount of confusion. In those days, cassettes were copied and recopied  ( under the influence). Because all we had access to in 1970 were audience tapes, people would make compilations of "rare" songs. They did play the old Action House   

in Brooklyn, but nobody taped them. In fact, those shoes were poorly advertised and about half full.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

gd_pacificnorthwest_key_artsmall.jpg?152

PACIFIC NORTHWEST’73-’74: THE COMPLETE RECORDINGS BOXED SET

WHAT'S INSIDE:
6 Complete Shows On 19 Discs
• 6/22/73 P.N.E. Coliseum, Vancouver, B.C.
• 6/24/73 Portland Memorial Coliseum, Portland, OR
• 6/26/73 Seattle Center Arena, Seattle, WA
• 5/17/74 P.N.E. Coliseum, Vancouver, B.C.
• 5/19/74 Portland Memorial Coliseum, Portland, OR
• 5/21/74 Hec Edmundson Pavilion, University of Washington, Seattle, WA
Mastered in HDCD from the original master tapes by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering
Masters transferred and restored by Plangent Processes
Original Art by First Nations Artist Roy Henry Vickers
Photos by Richie Pechner
Individually Numbered, Limited Edition of 15,000

On 6/12/2018 at 2:49 PM, mjzee said:

gd_pacificnorthwest_key_artsmall.jpg?152

PACIFIC NORTHWEST’73-’74: THE COMPLETE RECORDINGS BOXED SET

WHAT'S INSIDE:
6 Complete Shows On 19 Discs
• 6/22/73 P.N.E. Coliseum, Vancouver, B.C.
• 6/24/73 Portland Memorial Coliseum, Portland, OR
• 6/26/73 Seattle Center Arena, Seattle, WA
• 5/17/74 P.N.E. Coliseum, Vancouver, B.C.
• 5/19/74 Portland Memorial Coliseum, Portland, OR
• 5/21/74 Hec Edmundson Pavilion, University of Washington, Seattle, WA
Mastered in HDCD from the original master tapes by Jeffrey Norman at Mockingbird Mastering
Masters transferred and restored by Plangent Processes
Original Art by First Nations Artist Roy Henry Vickers
Photos by Richie Pechner
Individually Numbered, Limited Edition of 15,000

Ordered with ease for a change...absent were the problems which plagued earlier box set releases. !5,000 copies takes the edge off as well. I'm a little light on '73-74 stuff. Looking forward to this one.

Edited by greggery peccary