jazzbo

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, jazzbo said:

My guess is that it is related to the fact that they are sticking to their guns about keeping the '69 Fillmore box set (and I guess material} from being reissued.

Is there a back story there?  Not aware of yhe box or the hold.

1 hour ago, felser said:

Is there a back story there?  Not aware of yhe box or the hold.

Well, the box was the first of their sort of annual big box set releases and because it was such classic and lauded material it sold out fast and has commanded high prices in resale markets ever since. Among the faithful I've seen lots of queries of "why don't they just redo the damned thing!" and although I don't think I've seen an official response the assumed answer is that they don't plan on doing that, period. They mean these sets to be limited and have stuck to their guns.

I'd love to see it redone. In a moment of idiocy I let mine go. I certainly would love to have a Plangent Process remaster of the "Live/Dead" release with some extra material. I have not seen an official reason why we haven't had one, nor a statement we won't. I have a nice SHM-CD version from Japan I listen to when I get the itch and don't want to hear my original vinyl 2 LP with its snap crackle and pop.

My thoughts on not reissuing Fillmore West box could be related to the RSD Day releases  of 2/27/69 and 2/28/69 on vinyl.

RSD 2/27/69 has the Dark Star and St Stephen from Live Dead.

I did order vinyl and 2cd set for Grateful Dead’s latest release. I was surprised that 2 CD set is sold out on Dead.net

Edited by Gdgray
Stupid

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/26/2021 at 1:33 PM, Gdgray said:

My thoughts on not reissuing Fillmore West box could be related to the RSD Day releases  of 2/27/69 and 2/28/69 on vinyl.

RSD 2/27/69 has the Dark Star and St Stephen from Live Dead.

I did order vinyl and 2cd set for Grateful Dead’s latest release. I was surprised that 2 CD set is sold out on Dead.net

But they have released some of the RSD on CD.

The nice thing is the quantity is 6700 , which should make them available without going out on RSD.

I generally buy the RSD vinyl sets on line at Plaidroom which doesn’t mark them up. The Miles’s Jack Johnson vinyl set looks good as well, has tracks that are only available on the Complete Jack Johnson CD set. Bought the RSD offerings of IASW and BB sets in the past ....very enjoyable.

Edited by Gdgray
Adding comments

• 2 months later...

Dave’s Picks #2,376: Nassau.

what a godawful release from an otherwise fine year. I don’t think a single song is listenable. 

I could just do an “I was at these shows” post (I was) and write about how spectacular they were (they weren’t. Nassau was way overpacked, rowdy, annoying, and the band was drowning each night). Are they running out of excellent shows that were taped, aren’t cut up, poorly recorded, or missing reels? Sooner or later it’s bound to happen. 

Time for Pigpen’s greatest hits.  

• 1 month later...

Unbelievable. Just got SF vinyl and cd set as well as RSD Olympia 72. I’m supposed to be downsizing but now I’m ordering The River and the Dylan spring. I’m practicing  my speech for my wife , that I will get back to downsizing after this. Got a week she is visiting colleges with our daughter. However I’m a bit excited , these are some of my favorite Dead years.