The Grateful Dead Dark Star

jazzbo

Anyone else with post-Dick's Picks #20 recommendations, keep em coming! I've added #28 to my list.

Oh, don't mind if I do. Aside from #28, the other post-20 DPs I'm especially fond of include:

DP 22 - Feb 22 & 23, 1968 from Kings Beach Bowl in Lake Tahoe is pretty wild & wooly. You get a Dark Star>China Cat>Eleven, a combo that didn't last long. I think the posters for the show say "Trip & Ski." They sound like the baddest bar band at this stage. It is rough stuff but fun, and the sound quality, while good is just a shade below the norm for the series.

If you like DP 11 you'll love DP 23 (Sept. 17, '72 Baltimore.) Instead of a Dark Star you get a monstrous Other One. Another great Fall '72 show. Keep 'em comin'!

I don't own the pick but I have all the shows that comprise it - DP 31 (Aug 4-6, '74) has some terrific music on 4 discs. The most famous section has a Playin'>Scarlet>Playin' (36 minutes), but there's plenty more delicious stuff. As usual for '74 the China > Rider and WRS are divine. Highly recommended.

The one that still surprises me is DP 20, which is not quite 2 complete shows from Sept 25 & 28 '76. The "Orange Tango Jam" on disc 4 is unlike anything I've heard Jerry do. '76 has its share of duds (not these shows), but what makes it interesting is that they mixed up the song order in a way they never really did again, and though it didn't really they brought bad "Cosmic Charlie." I've played this pick more often than I ever imagined.

DP 29 is 2 shows from the glorious month of May 1977 (19th & the 21.) The 19th might be the best show from '77. If not it's up there. They toss in a little filler too, namely a "Dancin'" from 10/17 that just goes & goes. 6 discs at a nice price from a month when they were really ON.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

...and I may be one of the few on the planet that likes Donna Jean's singing MOST of the time!

^_^

I was going to post something about my love of the Dead, but I'm still in shock over Jazzbo liking the vocals of BOTH Donna Jean & Woody Herman! OH :o MY :o GOSH :o

:g

Hey, I've always liked unconventional vocalists (and I really prefer instrumentalist/vocalists like Pops, and Tea and Fats and Una and so many others including Woody!)

Clem, no I haven't heard the new Rhein set yet, will eventually.

Is David Murray on any of those live sets?

Not on anything that's been officially released.

He played with the Dead on at least 2 dates: 9-22-93 at Madison Square Garden and 2-26-95 at the Oakland Coliseum.

I haven't heard them myself, but I recall reading posts by a guy who is a big Murray (and Dead) fan who found them somewhat disappointing. YMMV.

---------------

9-22-93 MSG

Set 1

Help On The Way > Slipknot! > Franklin's Tower > New Minglewood Blues ; Ramble On Rose ; When I Paint My Masterpiece ; Bird Song (1)

Set 2

Easy Answers (1) ; Lazy River Road (1) ; Estimated Prophet (1) > Dark Star (1) > Drums (1) > Space (1) > Wharf Rat (1) > Throwing Stones (2) > Turn On Your Lovelight (2)

Encore

I Fought The Law

Comments

(1) with David Murray. (2) with David Murray and James Cotton.

--------------------

2-26-95 Oakland

Set 1

Good Times ; West L.A. Fadeaway ; Queen Jane Approximately ; Lazy River Road ; Mama Tried > Mexicali Blues ; Don't Ease Me In

Set 2

Iko Iko ; Samson And Delilah ; Ship Of Fools > Estimated Prophet* > Eyes Of The World* > Drums* > Space* > I Need A Miracle* > Days Between* > Not Fade Away*

Encore

Box Of Rain

* w/ David Murray

why haven't there been any live releases of Touch of Grey yet? I understand they played this song for years live before it was released in studio form- are they avoiding releasing it now for some reason?

It's appeared on 2 DVDs (View From The Vault 1 & 3.) You can also get those shows as CDs though the DVD is a better value (especially if they have them at Deepdiscountdvd.)

I don't think they're intentionally avoiding it, it's just the way things have worked out.

Part of it may have to do with the nature of the Dick Pick's series, which relies on 2-track master tapes whereas the Vault series uses multi-track tapes. Most "Touch of Greys" are from the multi-track era and there's usually only one Vault release each year. The other problem is in the early '80s the band briefly used cassettes rather than reels, so shows from that period aren't up to snuff for release. I can no longer remember when the cassette era ended, but it is close to when the earlier versions were played. However there have been a few Dick's from the '80s & '90s...I don't know if they were mixed down multi-tracks or 2-track to begin with. Mixing down multi-tracks seems like a shame, but I seem to recall they've done it before (DP 15 Englishtown.)

For the most part though if you've heard one version you've heard 'em all. I guess you could say about a few other songs as well (though not many.)

Quincy - Thanks. I guess if I really want to hear Murray, I should buy one of his albums. (Are there any successful appearances by jazz musicians sitting in with a rock band? Besides Sonny Rollins and Wayne Shorter?) (And Chet Baker?) (Wait a minute - now that I think about it, there are plenty.)

Branford plays wonderfully on "Eyes Of The World" on the Without A Net release. I'm sure everyone has heard that by now though!

The "So Many Roads" box set has Branford playing on a "Bird Song" that is really nice as well.

No! Not one more word about that box set! (Because I don't have it and want to NOT spend money!) :g

Listening to Dick's Picks Volume One right now. . . Weather Report Suite. . . wish I could listen to it LOUDER but people in the "office" here just refuse to LEAVE!

Pick One is such a nice mellow show. I like that one a lot.

I like that one too. The "Here Comes Sunshine" is really cool. Another song that has been under-represented in the "offical" releases.

Edited by sal

No! Not one more word about that box set! (Because I don't have it and want to NOT spend money!) :g

Hmmmmm...then I guess I'll stop talking about that beautiful "Bird Song" with Branford.....and that absolutely TRIPPY "Playin' in the Band".......and that killer "That's It for the Other One" from the sixties.......or the great "Scarlet>Fire" from 88......or the soundboard recording of the famous "Eyes of the World" from the Grateful Dead Movie.........or the rare studio recordings.......or the fantastic booklet..........or..... :w

Listening to Dick's Picks Volume One right now. . . Weather Report Suite. . . wish I could listen to it LOUDER but people in the "office" here just refuse to LEAVE!

O.K., I'll be sure not to mention one of my all-time jams of the Dead from this box: Beatiful Jam. Oh, and forget this Dark Star Jam>Spanish Jam>U.S. Blues thing -- just terrible!

Are we all talking about this one?:

music_recviews5-1.jpg

With this tracklist?:

1. Can't Come Down (Garcia/Kreutzmann/Lesh/McKernan/Weir) - 2:57

2. Caution (Do Not Stop on Tracks) (Garcia/Kreutzmann/Lesh/McKernan/Weir) - 3:12

3. You Don't Have to Ask (Garcia/Kreutzmann/Lesh/McKernan/Weir) - 3:55

4. On the Road Again (Traditional) - 2:42

5. Cream Puff War (Garcia) - 5:37

6. I Know You Rider (Traditional) - 4:20

7. The Same Thing (Dixon) - 11:38

8. Dark Star/China Cat Sunflower/The Eleven (Garcia/Hart/Hunter/Kreutzmann/Lesh/McKernan/Weir) - 25:25

9. Clementine (Hunter/Lesh) - 7:49

10. Mason's Children (Garcia/Hunter/Lesh/Weir) - 3:34

11. To Lay Me Down (Garcia/Hunter) - 5:39

12. That's It for the Other One (Grateful Dead) - 20:53

13. Beautiful Jam (Grateful Dead) - 4:41

14. Chinatown Shuffle (McKernan) - 2:54

15. Sing Me Back Home (Haggard) - 10:26

16. Watkins Glen Soundtrack Jam (Grateful Dead) - 18:31

17. Dark Star Jam/Spanish Jam/U.S. Blues (Garcia/Hart/Hunter/Kreutzmann/Lesh/McKernan/Weir) - 18:59

18. Eyes of the World (Garcia/Hunter) - 18:30

19. The Wheel (Garcia/Hunter/Kreutzmann) - 11:14

20. Stella Blue (Garcia/Hunter) - 11:37

21. Estimated Prophet (Barlow/Weir) - 10:52

22. The Music Never Stopped (Barlow/Weir) - 7:24

23. Shakedown Street (Garcia/Hunter) - 17:25

24. Cassidy (Barlow/Weir) - 5:47

25. Hey Pocky Way (Modeliste/Neville/Nocentelli/Porter) - 6:02

26. Believe It or Not (Garcia/Hunter) - 5:04

27. Playing in the Band (Hart/Hunter/Weir) - 12:24

28. Gentlemen, Start Your Engines (Barlow/Mydland) - 4:09

29. Death Don't Have No Mercy (Davis) - 6:41

30. Scarlet Begonias/Fire on the Mountain (Garcia/Hunter) - 19:34

31. Bird Song (Garcia/Hunter) - 13:09

32. Jam Out of Terrapin (Grateful Dead) - 5:08

33. Terrapin Station (Garcia/Hunter) - 12:34

34. Jam Out of Foolish Heart (Grateful Dead) - 5:24

35. Way to Go Home (Bralove/Hunter/Welnick) - 6:27

36. Liberty (Garcia/Hunter/Hunter) - 5:59

37. Lazy River Road (Garcia/Hunter) - 6:57

38. Eternity (Dixon/Wasserman/Weir) - 7:35

39. Jam into Days Between (Grateful Dead) - 7:04

40. Days Between (Garcia/Hunter) - 10:59

41. Whiskey in the Jar (Traditional) - 5:14

42. So Many Roads (Garcia/Hunter/Hunter) - 9:57

Edited by Bev Stapleton

Are we all talking about this one?:

music_recviews5-1.jpg

With this tracklist?:

1. Can't Come Down (Garcia/Kreutzmann/Lesh/McKernan/Weir) - 2:57

2. Caution (Do Not Stop on Tracks) (Garcia/Kreutzmann/Lesh/McKernan/Weir) - 3:12

3. You Don't Have to Ask (Garcia/Kreutzmann/Lesh/McKernan/Weir) - 3:55

4. On the Road Again (Traditional) - 2:42

5. Cream Puff War (Garcia) - 5:37

6. I Know You Rider (Traditional) - 4:20

7. The Same Thing (Dixon) - 11:38

8. Dark Star/China Cat Sunflower/The Eleven (Garcia/Hart/Hunter/Kreutzmann/Lesh/McKernan/Weir) - 25:25

9. Clementine (Hunter/Lesh) - 7:49

10. Mason's Children (Garcia/Hunter/Lesh/Weir) - 3:34

11. To Lay Me Down (Garcia/Hunter) - 5:39

12. That's It for the Other One (Grateful Dead) - 20:53

13. Beautiful Jam (Grateful Dead) - 4:41

14. Chinatown Shuffle (McKernan) - 2:54

15. Sing Me Back Home (Haggard) - 10:26

16. Watkins Glen Soundtrack Jam (Grateful Dead) - 18:31

17. Dark Star Jam/Spanish Jam/U.S. Blues (Garcia/Hart/Hunter/Kreutzmann/Lesh/McKernan/Weir) - 18:59

18. Eyes of the World (Garcia/Hunter) - 18:30

19. The Wheel (Garcia/Hunter/Kreutzmann) - 11:14

20. Stella Blue (Garcia/Hunter) - 11:37

21. Estimated Prophet (Barlow/Weir) - 10:52

22. The Music Never Stopped (Barlow/Weir) - 7:24

23. Shakedown Street (Garcia/Hunter) - 17:25

24. Cassidy (Barlow/Weir) - 5:47

25. Hey Pocky Way (Modeliste/Neville/Nocentelli/Porter) - 6:02

26. Believe It or Not (Garcia/Hunter) - 5:04

27. Playing in the Band (Hart/Hunter/Weir) - 12:24

28. Gentlemen, Start Your Engines (Barlow/Mydland) - 4:09

29. Death Don't Have No Mercy (Davis) - 6:41

30. Scarlet Begonias/Fire on the Mountain (Garcia/Hunter) - 19:34

31. Bird Song (Garcia/Hunter) - 13:09

32. Jam Out of Terrapin (Grateful Dead) - 5:08

33. Terrapin Station (Garcia/Hunter) - 12:34

34. Jam Out of Foolish Heart (Grateful Dead) - 5:24

35. Way to Go Home (Bralove/Hunter/Welnick) - 6:27

36. Liberty (Garcia/Hunter/Hunter) - 5:59

37. Lazy River Road (Garcia/Hunter) - 6:57

38. Eternity (Dixon/Wasserman/Weir) - 7:35

39. Jam into Days Between (Grateful Dead) - 7:04

40. Days Between (Garcia/Hunter) - 10:59

41. Whiskey in the Jar (Traditional) - 5:14

42. So Many Roads (Garcia/Hunter/Hunter) - 9:57

Are you sure it's this one?

Whoa- just discovered this thread!

I enjoy the DPs- my favorite is Englishtown- forget which number.....

DP30 looks good also- as does 29.

I like them playing in the background- they're great music when I'm doing projects around the house: painting, electrical woodwork, etc.

Have to pick up a few more soon......darn! the Woody Herman Mosiac is up for pre-order!! Oh well.....