The Grateful Dead Dark Star

jazzbo

another third of their book is the useless tapestry in sounds attempts. they have a small handful of good songs. i recently checked out a '72 4 cd set. two good songs on the whole thing. chinacat sunflower, and some other thing.

weak

So, you don't understand the Dead. Its your loss, not ours. You don't have to post here..... <_<

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

For those of you who prefer '72 to '75, or the Pigpen era, you're in luck. You'll save a little money. ;)

Dick's Pick 32 has been announced.

Grateful Dead

Alpine Valley Music Theatre, East Troy, WI

8/7/82

CD One

The Music Never Stopped 4:19

Sugaree 9:51

The Music Never Stopped 3:59

Me and My Uncle 3:02

Big River 6:12

It Must Have Been The Roses 5:50

C. C. Rider 7:34

Ramble On Rose 7:31

Beat It On Down The Line 3:11

On The Road Again 3:04

Althea 7:56

Let It Grow 11:46

U. S. Blues 5:15 (encore of 2nd set)

CD Two

China Cat Sunflower 6:42

I Know You Rider 7:43

Man Smart, Woman Smarter 8:29

Ship Of Fools 6:39

Playing In The Band 11:14

Drums 5:30

Space 5:31

The Wheel 5:51

Playing In The Band 4:08

Morning Dew 10:11

One More Saturday Night 4:59

They haven't been picking as many from the '80's, so this will make some of those fans happy. Or not, as they'll complain "I already have that one as a crispy board. Why didn't they pick..." :rolleyes:

I like the early stuff, 1968-1971, with Pigpen and the heavy psychedelic stuff. I think Garcia played a tuffer, sharper, more agressive style of guitar then. I also like the Europe '72 era, but have avoided later stuff. Comments on DP 28 have raised my interest however and its 2 long versions of Eyes of the World are tempting me. Anybody care to share their opinion of DP 19, another '73 show? Always liked Bertha from Skull & Roses (a/k/a Skullfuck), but am not aware of any other releases containing good versions. Alligator from King's Beach Bowl knocks me out, the perfect cure for one too many Lovelights! Any suggestions for other Pigpen recordings of songs less commonly recorded?

Anybody care to share their opinion of DP 19, another '73 show?  Always liked Bertha from Skull & Roses (a/k/a Skullfuck), but am not aware of any other releases containing good versions. 

I still like DP 14 the best of the '73 Picks as it has 2 Dews, 2 Playin's & 2 Weather Report Suites. It's a compilation of 2 nights over 4 discs and I have no problem with that kind of thing, but some folks prefer whole shows.

DP 19 isn't bad though, namely for the good stuff on discs 2 & 3 (the Eyes, Dark Star, etc.) To a certain degree the Pick is cursed by what else they could have picked from November & December, as there are some more mammoth shows in that stretch. So I tend to play shows that I've traded for in that neighborhood rather than the pick - the curse of having too many shows from that year. :P

Alligator from King's Beach Bowl knocks me out, the perfect cure for one too many Lovelights!  Any suggestions for other Pigpen recordings of songs less commonly recorded?

Hmm, if you like Skull & Roses I'd suggest Ladies & Gentleman, The Grateful Dead. It's a 4 disc compilation of their April '71 Fillmore run. Lots of fine Pigpen selections too (eyeballing it it looks like 9.) "The Other One" on Skull & Roses appears here in full too. So many songs from that year that couldn't fit on the double album make it here, including a rare "Second That Emotion." And for variety's sake there's an Uncle John's Band>Lovelight. ;) Nice HDCD sound as well (though some - not me - complain about Phil's presence not being as high as the circulating soundboards.)

Here's a tracklisting and review: Ladies & Gentlemen...

What's wrong with country? At least it ain't rap!

What's wrong with rap? At least it ain't jazz!

Let's not play that game, OK?

I just listened to Bear's Picks Vol 1, so I've now listened to everything in the Golden Road disc.

Reading this thread, it's quite daunting how much material there is out there.

Yes, Quincy, Ladies and Genlmen is supurb.Sometimes I think that the Arista released archive shows are better than the Dicks Pick series, check out Steppin Out. (and not only cos I was there! :D )

Ladies & Gentlemen and Steppin' Out I pre-ordered. :) Did the same with Rockin' the Rhein as well as it's hard for me to resist releases from that time. What's fabulous about the Arista releases is that they're multi-tracked. Oh yeah!

I just missed seeing you at Wembley in '72 (unless you were at Newcastle.) Not really. ;)

I was on a family trip before just before my 9th birthday. I was oh so close to greatness I didn't know existed - for almost another 10 years! :D

Guest akanalog

3/23/75 with merl saunders and ned lagin sitting in is awesome.

sort of "in a silent way"-ish.

very freeform and jazzy with a lot of keyboards.

it is just really blues for allah but it is a lot less structured than on, lets say, one from the vault.

Guest akanalog

bt.etree.org also often has some good grateful dead shows going for anyone who uses bit torrent software. usually good quality because the whole etree thing is very anal.

A film called Festival Express opens in Melbourne next month. It's a doco that uses footage from the 1970 trans-Canada rail tour by the GD, Joplin, Buddy Guy and the Band (and, I suspect, others).

Has anyone seen this? Does it have some juicy musical moments, or is it just talking heads and so on?

Sounds fascinating anyway ...

I'm just checking out the site - http://www.festivalexpress.com/

Edited by kenny weir

What's wrong with country? At least it ain't rap!

What's wrong with rap? At least it ain't jazz!

Let's not play that game, OK?

ummm, sorry, not ok. I will express my opinion as I see fit. Ignore it or be bothered by it, your choice.

Edited by GregK

Way back I remember reading about the Dead and thinking "This band is for me",but...when I got the audio I was left pretty underwhelmed,caught some live stuff on TV(not the greatest medium for concerts I must admit),still nothing.Since then I've tried again and well,OK,but they just don't click with me big time.Maybe this is influenced by the knowledge that I'd need to remortgage the house if I got it bad,or maybe I ain't taking the right drugs!

At the risk of offending Deadheads further I do like David Murray's "Dark Star" tribute set

Just stick to the 69-72 era for a bit of time. If the epic Dark Star jams and medleys don't pull you in, then the Dead are not your movie. btw, have you gotten down with some good versions of Morning Dew? 5/8/77? get somebody to make you BOTH sets of 5/8/77 on CDR and play it a few times through. Also get Hundred Year Hall and of course Live Dead.

Another shout out for Barton hall..."take a step back"...but while you're at it, don't neglect 5/7/77 and 5/9/77. I don't know what was going on that week, but that's one of the smokingest periods in GD performance history, imho...all three shows are up at archive.org, in good sound, and are worth the d/l time and space.

Barton Hall!  Yes...

Why Barton Hall has never come out on cd is a complete mystery -- talk about an ideal Dick's Pick. One of my all-time favorite Grateful Dead dates, even if it does have Donna Jean on it!

I believe it is because they don't have it in the vault. It was one of the Betty Boards that was found in the storage locker that was auctioned off when she missed a payment (or two or three) at one of those U-Storage facilities.

They've given us 3 from May '77, and I like 5/19 more anyway. :P

Though 5/8 does have the Scarlet>Fire, and da Dew!

Cornell also has to be one of the easiest shows to obtain in pristine sound quality. Almost everyone that calls themselves a deadhead has a good copy. So, there really isn't a pressing need to get that show out. It's doubtful they could upgrade the sound over what is in circualtion. There are many other shows that don't circulate or circulate w/ poor sound quality(and need to upgraded) that should be considered before Cornell, IMHO.

Not too mention that it's kind of overrated. There are better shows from that year.

And yes, it's not in the Vault.

Edited by Chalupa

Random musings...

I really like everything they did through 75. After that it's hit ot miss for me and the last show I have is 10.31.91. I can't stomach Vince. His voice is far worse than any Donna wails to me. YMMV.

I love the last disc of DP 19. The Dark Star is one for the ages.

Everyone should have a copy of Steppin' Out. Ditto for Rockin' the Rhein. And DP's 2,4,8. Essential.

If you get a chance d/l the new version of 6/24/70. Great AUD recording of one of their best shows. The new version(recorded by Ken and Judy Lee) blows away all previous circulating versions.

Edited by Chalupa

Overrated? - yes.

This show, along with Veneta 8/27/72, always gets a lot of props. And they do deserve them - to a certain extent - they are both excellent shows. But there are many more shows which have better playing, IMHO. I just think the hoopla surrounding 5/8/77 is way over the top that's all. I wouldn't put it in my list of top 50 Dead shows.

There are better first sets from that year, again IMHO. Take a listen to 2/26, 3/19, 5/21, or 5/22. Don't get me wrong I like Cornell. The Scar>Fire is one for the ages as is the Dew. The Loser is fine as well. But the show is not a top 50 show. YMMV.

Edited by Chalupa

Maybe we should compare this show to other Ivy League shows from the time.  ;) I've always enjoyed the Cornell sets.

(Not that you were serious, but I have a Deadbase that doesn't get used as much as it used to.)

Almost every Ivy League school got a show, though most had their show early on and didn't get another.

Two that don''t circulate:

Columbia 5-3-68

U Penn 10-16-70

No show for Harvard, but substituting M.I.T. gets you one of the best "Dancing In The Streets" from the free show on 5-6-70. They played the next day as well.

I'm not sure if the Rhode Island Auditorium is in the Brown neighborhood or not, but they played a fine show there on 4-21-71. The Civic Center was played many times after that.

Princeton's show is a good one too from a few days earlier (4-17-71).

Yale's lone show was from 7-31-71. Legend has it a cop told Jerry to snuff his joint. As Jerry did he said "We'll never play here again." The show was also marred by students who were mistaken in thinking it was a free show. They stormed the gates and got tear gassed.

Dartmouth comes later. 5-5-78.

Other than 5-8-77, Cornell got 2 more. 5-7-80 and 5-16-81.

So safe to say, 5-8-77 is the BEST Ivy League show of 1977! :P

Edited by Quincy