The Grateful Dead Dark Star

jazzbo

Welcome back Doc!

Hi Lon. Been busy doing abslutely nothing. Meant to post my dislike of the Winterland Box set. Yuck. Playing is weak. Thought Road Trips Three was okay, but that ir reflected their long vacation after the Fillmore East. This was a band that got better and better during tours. The Htyo H, is, of course a gem. And I welcome any neewly unearhted Lovelights. Best thing this year is Three From the Vault.

IMHO.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes, I agree with you, Three from the Vault was the best of what was released.

Here's hoping more like that in the near future.

My hope would be a Road Trip of those Manhattan Center shows, a Road Trip from late Fall 71, a big assed box set from Europe '72, and a Road Trip of the '72 "Texas Trippn run through your home state. Sure, you can find them all--but not in top quality.

Oh--and a Road Trip Fillmore East Sept 70. And and and and and . . . .

I do like the Road Trips as they avoid redundancy in later shows and make for a good, clean listen.

• 2 weeks later...

SAw Phil and friends last night for the first time and enjoyed it more than I expected. St Stephen>The eleven>Eyes of the World was quite nice. They opened for the Allman Brothers who played an excellent set ex. Mtn Jam>Dazed and Confused>Mtn Jam. Gregg was in great voice and really playing his B3.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Q:

i was just reading about how mickey harts father ran off with over 100K of dead profits and was later arrested down in san diego, where he was baptizing people. the circumstances surrounding this led mickey hart to step away from the band, (returning a few yrs later), but my Q. is about that, what are the specifics regarding mickeys decsion to step down-- did the band fire him, or was it voluntary, etc.

I don't have an answer to your question about the elder Hart's mental state, but Mickey Hart left voluntarily, after the fact some months.

It's surprisingly easy to find information on the internet. Here's a quote from this page: http://www.musicianguide.com/biographies/1...ickey-Hart.html

"Following the release of the 1969 Grateful Dead albums Live/Dead and AOXOMOXOA, and the 1970 releases Workingman's Dead and American Beauty, Hart resigned from the group. In response to the enormous debt incurred by the band due to the purchase of expensive equipment, bad bookkeeping, and production cost overruns on the band's albums during the 1960s, Hart had convinced the band to hire his father as a business manager charged with returning the group to profitability. The elder Hart, however, eventually embezzled funds from the group in amounts estimated to be between $70,000 and $150,000. Hart stayed with the band for nine months after the revelation but then resigned out of embarrassment. The Grateful Dead provided him with a stipend, however, and Hart received a three-record advance from Warner Bros. He used the proceeds to build a 16-track studio on the ranch that he rented."

He's Gone

Rat in a drain ditch, caught on a limb, you know better but I know him.

Like I told you, what I said, Steal your face right off your head.

Now he's gone, now he's gone, Lord he's gone, he's gone.

Like a steam locomotive, rollin' down the track

He's gone, gone, nothin's gonna bring him back...He's gone.

Nine mile skid on a ten mile ride, hot as a pistol but cool inside.

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,

Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

Now he's gone, now he's gone Lord he's gone, he's gone.

Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,

Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

Lost one round but the price wasn't anything,

A knife in the back and more of the same.

Same old, rat in a drain ditch, caught on a limb,

You know better but I know him.

Like I told you, what I said,

Steal your face right off your head.

Now he's gone, now he's gone Lord he's gone, he's gone.

Ooh, nothin's gonna bring him back.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest Bill Barton

I'm really not much of a Deadhead but I do have David Murray's CD of their music, the one they made with Branford Marsalis and several Mickey Hart projects in my collection.

Monday evening I was listening to Henry Kaiser's Eternity Blue - a recent addition to the stacks - and wondered what those of you more attuned to the Dead than myself think of this CD. The two long "space" instrumental tracks are the only ones that really do much for me.

Edited by Bill Barton

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Listening to Dick's Picks 31 (8/6/74), and is it ever a wild one, and that disk four is complete killer; Eyes Of The World>Playing In The Band>Scarlet Begonias>Playing In The Band>Uncle John's Band. I would have loved to heard where Eyes Of The World would have gone if the crowd didn't get out of control, even so, it's still one of the best ever.

Listening to Dick's Picks 31 (8/6/74), and is it ever a wild one, and that disk four is complete killer; Eyes Of The World>Playing In The Band>Scarlet Begonias>Playing In The Band>Uncle John's Band. I would have loved to heard where Eyes Of The World would have gone if the crowd didn't get out of control, even so, it's still one of the best ever.

"We came here to play music, not to trade punches!" Ya gotta love Jersey....