The Grateful Dead Dark Star

jazzbo

I got a super shitty hissy cassette of the Alligator part of this show back in 1972. Likely from the FM broadcast. It cut out midway through Caution at that. Over time, better versions emerged until the whole show was pretty much available in the past decade. Then Mr. Miller upgraded it to something magnificent--even patching the cut in Alligatotr from the Anthem cd. Just a few months back, at that.

So, I figured how much better can this release be? I knew it was mastered from the original 8 track tapes with state of the art equipment.

And it is worth every penny. The sound is unbelievable--crisp, pure, clear. And the bonus tracks--well . . . . ditto. Two Viola Lee Blues'?

Can't beat it.

More, please.

Edited by orchiddoctor

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yeah, saw that as well. My girlfriend is a Cornell grad. Was Cornell '77 ever released for commercial sale?

No, but it's not hard to find high quality soundboards if you look in the right places. I prefer the Buffalo show overall from the next night

Yeah, saw that as well. My girlfriend is a Cornell grad. Was Cornell '77 ever released for commercial sale?

I think at this point it has been so widely distributed with the Betty Board sound so good I don't think it would be a big seller. But I could be wrong. I guess the Hartford 77 show was a highly distributed Betty Board as well and they just released that. But 5/8/77 is one that people that don't even collect shows have.

A road trips or vault comp of 5/7,8 and 9 would be welcomed.

Speaking of Hartford 77 Terrapin release, how sweet is the Not Fade Away into Wharf Rat? The Sugaree, Jack Straw and Row Jimmy all sound great.

I've read interviews where they say they don't have 5-8-77 in the vault. It's a Betty Board, and since it was part of the expired rental storage locker purchase by a fan it would make sense that it might not be. Of the Betty Board collection the Port Chester '71 show was officially released but that's because there were multi-tracks as well. Veneta '72 which had a song end up on So Many Roads had multiple sources so the Dead were able to use the non-Betty. Not sure if the 1980 Warfield bits in the above link ended up on Reckoning but again, if those dates did they still had the muti-tracks.

I don't have the interview handy and perhaps things have changed since that time. Dick was also quoted as saying there was no need to sell Cornell since everybody has it already. He wasn't much of a fan of the show compared to others from '77. His ghost is no longer calling shots though. :)

Here's a link that will get you to the Dead's show in Veneta, Oregon on August 27, 1972. More than a fair number of folks consider this version of Dark Star to be the best ever. I was at this show, so I wish I could comment, but you know how it was at Dead shows. All I remember was is was 105 degrees and there was no water until Kesey and the Pranksters brought in a 20,000 gallon truck. The only thing that kept me from passing out was the rampant nudity and the fine Columbian. The Dead played for over three hours. They only stopped to take salt tablets and to retune their guitars as the intense heat was warping the bridges.

http://www.archive.org/details/gd1972-08-2...milton.152.shnf

Up over and out.

Edited by Dave James

Hey folks,

What has been fellow board members reaction to the processing time with dead.net orders?

I ordered from them online last Thursday and have yet to receive a shipping confirmation.

Is this normal for them?

Going by posts at the Dead site and talking to fellow Australian heads, it's a mess.

And when you do get through, chasing up a problem, customer service is hopeless.

I got three releases yesterday no probs - RT2.1 and 2.2 and To Tarrapin - but tore the covers of two of the sets trying to remove the discs.

Hey folks,

What has been fellow board members reaction to the processing time with dead.net orders?

I ordered from them online last Thursday and have yet to receive a shipping confirmation.

Is this normal for them?

Going by posts at the Dead site and talking to fellow Australian heads, it's a mess.

And when you do get through, chasing up a problem, customer service is hopeless.

I got three releases yesterday no probs - RT2.1 and 2.2 and To Tarrapin - but tore the covers of two of the sets trying to remove the discs.

It's funny you mention the customer service because I had to call them last Friday because I accidently ordered two Dick's Picks #26 (one for a friend who was at one of the shows). Dropping one item from the order seemed like a pretty simple request but the operator was really lost. They claim it is resolved but I have a feeling it has not.

Thanks for heads up on tearing the covers since I have RT2.1 and 2.2 coming in the order.

I just got off the phone from with one of their reps about the order. She said that they tell all customers to expect to wait 3-4 weeks for the order to arrive. I felt like Clooney in "O Brother, Where Art Thou?"; "Well, ain't this place a geographical oddity. Two weeks from everywhere!"

As long as I know it is going to take that long to deliver going into this, it shouldn't be a problem in the future.

I guess I will spin my Miller '68 while I wait on the Dead's version!

I've had all sorts of things happen when ordering from them. Sometimes discs arrive in just a couple of days, other times an order takes 21 "business days" (on the nose). I've had a disc get lost in the mail and even had a wrong DP sent (it was early on and I didn't have it so I kept it). I've had a disc arrive and then next day receive an email saying it's been shipped. :lol: But in the end through email or phone any problem has been taken care of so I keep on ordering from them. :)

Edited by Quincy

I ordered RT 2.2 on 4/6, got a shipping confirmation on 4/8, and the Brown Santa dropped it on my doorstep on Monday, 4/13.

Seconded on the shitty packaging - I didn't tear it open, but I was sure I was about to. Whoever designed this clearly didn't intend for it to be actually used on a regular basis.

• 2 weeks later...

I've had all sorts of things happen when ordering from them. Sometimes discs arrive in just a couple of days, other times an order takes 21 "business days" (on the nose). I've had a disc get lost in the mail and even had a wrong DP sent (it was early on and I didn't have it so I kept it). I've had a disc arrive and then next day receive an email saying it's been shipped. :lol: But in the end through email or phone any problem has been taken care of so I keep on ordering from them. :)

I don't know what to think of things now since I still have not received my order after almost a month

Two weeks ago, I received a call from Dead Net, which was someone telling me my order had shipped and I should expect my order in 3-4 days. Last week I check up on the order and they tell me it never shipped and that they are out of RT Vol. 2, #1 but it will take a few days for them to get new ones in. I tell them to just ship everything that is in and I will order RT the next time I do an order. I get off the phone and think the whole order is good to go to find an email saying they have canceled my whole order! I call back and they ensure me that it is still there. I call back today to see what has happened and they now tell me that it appears "everything" has become back ordered and I should expect things in a few weeks time.

:angry:

I know not everybody has the level of customer service that Mosaic Records offers but this is crazy!

I am starting to lean toward canceling the order and just focusing my time on music that is on those sites instead.

Amazon is now carrying many Dick's Picks titles. A seller there is offering a new copy of RT Vol. 2 #1 for $20.00.

Thank you for the heads up, I will see what I can find, though I was looking forward to the promised "bonus disc."

It looks like all of the DP I ordered are only available on Amazon from Marketplace sellers in exaggerated prices.