The Grateful Dead Dark Star

jazzbo

Hey John - I just pulled out my Taper's Compendiums the other day. I hadn't looked at them in a few years . Anyway, I went to look up a specific show and got lost for a few hours reading the reviews. Excellent work.

Hey, it's that Dwork! My Taping Compendiums are right below my feet, which are propped up on what functions as a coffee table and there's a small pile of important reference works (Penguin Jazz, Historical Atlas, etc.) or otherwise heavy books in a compartment. Though I'm no longer in fever collecting mode you just never know when you might want to know if xx/xx/xx had a particularly beefy "Other One" and so on, hence why they're just a slight stretch away. :)

i'm officially confused. am i having a flashback?

Ah, my apologies! We got you confused with John R. Dwork, coauthor of The Deadhead's Taping Compenium. I blame J.H. Deeley for starting this! :lol: I see that you are John Dworkin.

Sorry 'bout that. Like the site you contribute to and thanks for the head's up. :)

wow. if anyone can come up w/ a more bizarre coincidence than the last four or five posts, you let me know. scary...

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 months later...

You know it's been a good 6 or 7 years since I had that Grateful Dead listening jones but my initial reaction upon hearing about this box set was,"What a strange choice of shows for a box set treatment! Especially considering how many more runs are more deserving." Don't get me wrong this is a very fine 3 show run but I don't even remember this run as being the best Winterland run from 1977. Maybe I need to revisit this run again. Also, IIRC the June 7th show is missing about a minute or two from the master reels of UJB. All of the previous circulating copies had a Audience source patch. I know - not that big a deal but I'm just wondering how they covered it.

• 2 weeks later...

Goodness, what a month for releases. Too bad I spent all my extra on the Beatles mono box, because I love these shows, especially 6/9/77, which is quite the rockin' concert. I'll probably wait to order this one and stay with the recording I have. I wonder what tape source they are using because every tape I've heard of all three days has problems.

I will pass on the new 77 box.

I have enough 77 as it is plus the Terrapin as great as it sounded just didn't blow me away in comparison to the excellent 2/68 and 6/74 RT releases this year.

At least the new box will make the must have every note from every run crowd happy.

I was thinking there isn't that much left I feel that I would want to see get remastered. Though a 5/15/70, Red Rocks 78 would be most welcome. Anybody have any wish lists for the remaster treatment?

Edited by WorldB3

I'd like to get this- but I'm getting overwhelmed with their releases....

I'm getting to this point also. I have every legit cd release by GD, plus concerts I've downloaded -- heck, I have well over 500 hours of the Dead. Not only that, I have XM Radio, so I can get the Dead 24/7 if I want. I think I've reached my limit. I might ask this box set as a birthday present, but after this one, I'm going to be very choosy about the Dead, if it's after Keith Godchaux left, I pass.

I didn't hear 6/8/77 until a couple of years ago so it's still fairly new to me. I revisited it about a week ago and it's another fine '77. I think it might be the underrated night, kind of like the 1st night (11/09/73) in that box. Like J.H. I can't really explain it but 6/9 never grabbed like one would think it would given the setlist. Same with 6/7. It's not that I don't like the shows, I guess they played too well that year. :)

As far as what I'd like to see remastered, I would love to see something done with the fall '72 Texas run. Some of that stuff is kind of rough so if they could polish it up that'd be great. Or some of those other fall '72 shows that just circulate as partials or rough boards. For some reason once you get into October/November '72 it seems like the boards are rougher than the ones in September. Although I haven't kept up on all of the unofficial remasters so maybe it sounds better than my copies.

If they want to get 9/28/72 exactly perfect in HDCD sure, do it! There's nothing wrong with putting practically that whole month out. Waterbury without cuts would be cool. Although 4/2/73 circulates in excellent quality that 2nd set should be officially available (and really skip, the 1st set, it's not needed.) The recent June '74 Roadtrips crossed one request off my list. :)

There are some who'd buy all of Europe '72 if they offered that up in a big box with a bow around it.

Edited by Quincy

There are some who'd buy all of Europe '72 if they offered that up in a big box with a bow around it.

Guilty. :blush:

Me too... :blush:

Succumbed and put in my preorder on this box last night. Anytime I can wrap my ears around some crispy '77 is a good time.

Laughed out loud as I entered the digits for my credit card which I was using for the first time since it was replaced and discovered the three digits on the back were "420"! :D

Hey, this is a long shot, but WTF...

I lost a box of CD's and records in my move out here, and much to my chagrin, included in that box was my Fillmore box set. Grrrrrrr

Does anyone have one they don't want and would like to sell, trade for an oop Mosaic or two, or ???

PM me if so...

I still think that is a disgrace that this Fillmore set is OOP.

Hey, this is a long shot, but WTF...

I lost a box of CD's and records in my move out here, and much to my chagrin, included in that box was my Fillmore box set. Grrrrrrr

Does anyone have one they don't want and would like to sell, trade for an oop Mosaic or two, or ???

PM me if so...

I still think that is a disgrace that this Fillmore set is OOP.

Agreed. :(

Hey, J.H.--I remember you complaining about digital reworking on this set some time back. Interested in a trade?

If not, I know where you live... :D

As far as what I'd like to see remastered, I would love to see something done with the fall '72 Texas run. Some of that stuff is kind of rough so if they could polish it up that'd be great. Or some of those other fall '72 shows that just circulate as partials or rough boards. For some reason once you get into October/November '72 it seems like the boards are rougher than the ones in September. Although I haven't kept up on all of the unofficial remasters so maybe it sounds better than my copies.

ooh that would be cool, even partials from the July 72 Northwest tour would be nice. Summer and Fall 72 get so overlooked due to the Europe shows.

A Europe 72 Box Set would be a serious amount of CD's and cash as most nights they played for four hours. I think my favorite night from that run would be the Amsterdam show.

Edited by WorldB3

What it comes down to is this - they (GDP/Rhino) need to make the ENTIRE contents of the Vault available for downloading in a lossless format ASAP. None of this drips and drabs stuff. Put it all out there and let the buyers decide what they want not some suit. Oh AND special note to Jeffrey Norman.... Don't add any special effects to make it sound better just do a clean transfer w/ no digital trickery. Got it?

I'd buy a Europe box as well. But one problem is that two of the shows have been released and the ENglish shows have been released in parts. Would they do the hundred year hall with the missing tunes? Would Rockin' the Rhein be includd? Small details, but . . . .

I wqould imagine such a set would cost around $250.

I'd buy a Europe box as well. But one problem is that two of the shows have been released and the ENglish shows have been released in parts. Would they do the hundred year hall with the missing tunes? Would Rockin' the Rhein be includd? Small details, but . . . .

True, but if Neil Young can rerelease live shows in his Archives project I think the Grateful Dead could get away with it. Although several thousand Deadheads would complain that it should be free... :lol: And yes, definitely add the missing tunes to 100 Year Hall as it's too complicated trying to replicate the order with those extra discs on CDR. ;)

The Virtual Terrapin Station

“This is a first for the UCSC Library, and the grant gives us the opportunity to create a new model for web-based archives that will include traditional materials from our Grateful Dead Archive--along with materials contributed by scholars and Deadheads around the world.”

The web site will provide access to Grateful Dead Archive materials, as well as tools to facilitate public contributions to the archive. Steel noted that the Library will develop a click-through permissions form for content contributors that will help extend the reach of the Grateful Dead Archive to the academic research community.

The Grateful Dead donated their extensive band archive to UC Santa Cruz in 2008. It represents one of the most significant popular culture collections of the 20th Century and documents the band’s remarkable creative activity and influence in contemporary music history.