The Grateful Dead Dark Star

jazzbo

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Weir and John Mayer were interviewed by Andy Cohen for "What What Happens Live."

When asked which artist or group most influenced the Dead he said "Oh I'm going to go out on a limb and say John Coltrane."

He said that Dead and Co. will probably record an album. At first he said "but first we need to write new songs." Then he said that they were tossing around the idea of making an album with studio versions of songs Dead played that were NOT on studio albums before, and gave "almost all of the songs on Europe '72" as an example. Personally, I'd buy that.

• 2 weeks later...

Ordered Dave's Picks 19

will get a subscription for next year - I'm still on a huge Dead listening expedition now exceeding 6 months, maybe 9 months. Rediscovering the band on a deeper level almost like when I discovered Evan Parker, Joe Maneri, Gerry Hemingway and all the rest 20 to 25 years ago and going forward - all my modern day improv heroes - save that I can't go see Jerry live.

SBD is soundboard (although that claim may not always be accurate) vs. AUD for a recording by someone in the audience.  AUDs can be a lot of fun, since you're "in the crowd" and can hear the audience reaction - it's like you're there at the concert.

About a decade ago when I was still using an iPod I was listening to an audience tape and walking around and when Pigpen started to sing "Hard to Handle" it seemed like someone behind me to my right starting singing along with him. I actually glanced over in that direction, it sounded so "real." 

Fwiw, DP29 is an incredible 6 CD set of Betty Cantor-Jackson's 2 track recordings of the 5/19/77 & 5/21/77 shows. Silky smooth, beautifully executed and classic examples of prime Spring 77 Grateful Dead. Much different from earlier or later Dead. For some the sweetest of sweet spots is 1977 Grateful Dead. This period of the Dead has been my biggest revelation this year along with late 79 and early 80 Dead which I previously imagined that I'd never be interested in.

My main period of GD interest is still centered in pre-hiatus (67-74) Dead as it was more exploratory and contained longer and more extreme and intense improvisations. The earlier shows (Primal Dead, if you will) at it's peak if you can locate it(!!!) still is the high-water mark when I find it!!!

Two From the Vault (8/24/68), Fillmore West 69 (the 3 CD set), Dick's Picks 4 (2/13/70) & Dick's Picks 8 (5/2/70) are a few of the places where you can't miss it!!! The latter, despite the mono recording, might have the highest points of all. I listened to the second disc yesterday and I continue to be blown away by what these guys could do on a great night. And I didn't get to the closing sequence of Morning Dew, Viola Lee Blues (!!!!!!) and We Bid You Goodnight.

Maybe the best place to find the combination of the both might be Ladies & Gentleman (4 CD from April 71 run @ Fillmore East) and Steppin' Out (4 CD set from English part of Europe 72 tour). Both very affordable and both are incredible sounding multi-track recordings including the whole gamut of what the boys could do.

Edited by Steve Reynolds

• 2 weeks later...

Listening now to 2/21/95, the last concert in the box.  I approached this one with some trepidation, fearing it might be sad or pathetic.  Rather, it's very strong, very lively, and very much up to the standard of the other concerts in the box.  A lot of Garcia, both singing and playing.  A great "Drums."  All in all, a satisfying send-off.

https://archive.org/details/gd95-02-21.dsbd.stephens.8840.sbeok.shnf

Edited by mjzee

• 2 months later...

I s'pose this thread exercises subject matter jurisdiction here...

http://www.jambase.com/article/earliest-studio-recordings-jerry-garcia-released-first-time

The relentless onslaught against a zero-balance VISA, not to mention shelf space, continues.  With Floyd Early Years, Dylan 66, DaP20, REM OOT Anniversary, and now an HVD release, November is shaping up as my own personal "Postal Service Celebration" month...that magnificent sample track puts me to mind of an all-time fave release, the Complete Boarding House Tapes.  Roots, Jerry, roots!  Hooray!

Edited by Kate

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I've finished listening to the Miller transfer and, except for a few second set highlights that I've bookmarked over on some postings at .net, this show is simply underwhelming.  I wholeheartedly endorse a more egalitarian era release philosophy, especially since the 90s and a few of the 80's shows from 30T were such delightfully unexpected discoveries, yet this performance not only fails to present a consistent set, but misses the mark on even an outstanding run of songs/jams/segues within a set.

To be clear, I'm a subscriber, so it's coming anyway.  But I can't help but wonder if this marks a paradigm shift; I suspect expectations will be high for at least one 80's appearance yearly from now on, and the CU show, which apparently was recorded on reels, may be indicative of the inclination to select subpar shows with superior sources versus superior shows from the cassette recordings that were so prevalent during the decade.  I strongly suspect that I'll approach next year's DaP a la carte, though I appreciate the immediate joy, and optimism for future releases, that #20 brings to the increasingly voluble crowd for whom Reagan era Dead was the pinnacle./K