• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Kate said:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/Gqgp0o6yFqQ

Precious little appetizer...I like the effects at 4:55 & 5:40..."the notes were flying off his guitar, it was so fluid, so liquid"...

Edit:  Mj, how do you embed a video?

Edit II:  What, no scroll!?

Don't know why the embed worked for me and not for you.  Not trying to one-up you!  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

So I've owned a Dead bootleg for more than 40 years, simply titled GD-2233:

R-5700145-1470962665-1013.jpeg.jpg

On it, there's an amazing performance listed as "Doin' That Rag / Jam" recorded "November 1970, Action House, L.I."  But the Dead didn't play DTR after 1969, and they didn't play the Action House in November 1970.  After searching a long time for more details, I found it today on archive.org.  It was a performance at Cafe au Go-Go in Greenwich Village on 9/29/69.  The amazing jam is a composition titled The Seven, which they played only 4 times in its existence.  See: https://archive.org/details/gd69-09-29.aud.early.hollister.79.sbeok.shnf/gd69-09-29t06.shn  I recommend the VBR M3U for a seamless listen.

out of all gd boots THATS the only one w/ the extreme '69 jamming-- 

will pull out data for you in a few min- 

GD 2233 A

1. The other one (( 6/22/69 Central Park [aud]))

2. ???---> The Eleven     ((((?????????))))  ****** I COULDN'T RESEARCH THIS CUT VERY WELL.....ANY HELP APPRICIATED

GD 2233 B

1. BIODTL ((5/15/70, Fillmore East late show)

2. Doin that Rag --> The Seven--> Good lovin (1st bars only)    ((((9/29/69 Cafe au go go))))

Edited by chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez

MJ:  Phenomenal!  Finishing my 2nd pass at this set as I type.  Though center mass in (one of) my preferred periods, I wasn't familiar with The Seven.  Hope you don't mind, but I x-pollinated your post, and my response, over on SHF's "Grateful Thread", as this thing - and The7 in particular - deserve introduction to a broader audience.

FYI: http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/the-grateful-thread.349350/page-1653

side A no. 2 is not very st stephen-esque unless its a jam comming out (way out) of st stephen, i should go back and try to properly id that cut

my go to guess is thats its from the night before central park but when i originally was a/b-ing them i decided against that-- will go back and re check

Edited by chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez

5 hours ago, Kate said:

MJ:  Phenomenal!  Finishing my 2nd pass at this set as I type.  Though center mass in (one of) my preferred periods, I wasn't familiar with The Seven.  Hope you don't mind, but I x-pollinated your post, and my response, over on SHF's "Grateful Thread", as this thing - and The7 in particular - deserve introduction to a broader audience.

FYI: http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/the-grateful-thread.349350/page-1653

Kate: No problem at all with the repost.  Re The Seven: I think Phil Lesh makes a passing mention about it in his liner notes to Fallout From The Phil Zone, but I no longer have that release to double-check.

6 hours ago, chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez said:

2. ???---> The Eleven     ((((?????????))))  ****** I COULDN'T RESEARCH THIS CUT VERY WELL.....ANY HELP APPRICIATED

Chewy: Is this also from 9/29/69 Cafe au Go-Go?  It would be part of the archive.org link I posted above.

[video] http://spiritcats.com/gd-tour-europe-1974-Wi-Fi.mp4

This is something of a hybrid NedDead post: I find Ned quintessential to the resurgent "weirdness" that helped elevate that Summer 74 tour to epic status in my esteem, particularly June, and no show more than 6/23, which put "strange" into the "long trip". I've been following Ned's site since discovery of his fantastic recent release "Cat Dreams", which contains some terrific stuff, beginning with the linked video above, about which he says:

"More than a few years ago I received a DVD in the mail from Steve Brown. I was quite surprised that it contained Steve's Super 8mm movies he made during the 1974 Grateful Dead tour of Europe. He only asked that I not copy or share it publicly. However, recently he gave me permission for it to be viewed on Nedbase (and on the archived Nedbase on spiritcats.com.) but not for wider distribution. Steve retains copyright and ownership. With the exception of "The Grateful Dead Movie," and a video snippet from the September 21, 1974 Paris concert, there are no other movies or videos in which I appear from those years.

I met Steve when he went to work for the newly formed Grateful Dead Records and Round Records in 1973. Steve had several roles including album recording sessions, production and promotion, live concert on-site promotion, and working on the "Mars Hotel" LP and "The Grateful Dead Movie." I remember Steve as a very nice, sincere, knowledgeable person who really cared about the band and the music, and truly helped make good things happen.

Steve's Super 8mm movies cover the 1974 Grateful Dead European tour. London's city life of the times and the Alexander Palace set up of the Wall of Sound (2:02), Munich and the Olympic Halle (4:26), band (5:37, me at 6:00 reading the Sunday Times) and family members getting on the bus and the bus ride from Munich through Luxembourg to Zurich, hanging out on the street in Geneva with Jerry, Parish, Hunter, Keith, Donna, baby Zion, Bob Matthews, and others, and then Phil, Steve, Dan Healy, and me on our drive through the high Alps and villages of Switzerland (7:25), into rural France (with castles) and on to Dijon (14:58) ending in Paris. Two additional notes come from Steve:

*It was silent 8mm so I added a soundtrack from that Summer's U.S. tour -- Roanoke, VA 7-27-74.

**Most of it was filmed while in an altered state, thank you Bear.

So wonderful we all traveled together and that Steve was wise enough to capture the adventure, and the spirit of the times, on film."

Additionally, there are a couple recordings, the first, and truly 'beyond the pale', a soundcheck for one of my A-list shows, Dijon:

http://spiritcats.com/gd_091874_nlagin_cro2_n90-nr_dn1_soundcheck.mp3

The second is just a fantastic historical nugget: " This was a jam session ("The Other One Jam" > "The Wall Song", "Jam", "Blooz", and "R&R Jam") with members of the Grateful Dead, Jefferson Airplane, David Crosby, and others. Ned plays organ and piano."

http://spiritcats.com/nl_aditc_ok.mp3

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Great to read. Yes, I returned to Ohio in Spring '13 after 32 years in Texas. Came back to take care of my parents, lived a half a mile from them. . . spent 12 hours a day 7 days a week with them for over two years. Lost my Mom to dementia but was able to keep her into her home. Managed to find a GREAT assisted-living place for my Dad and get to spend a lot of time with him. In May of '14 I reconnected with a gal who was the girlfriend of a coworker of mine in Ohio '77 to '80, and we fell in love and were married in February '16. She's a wonderful woman who I love spending my time with, a kind and loving person. She has eight living siblings so I have a big family to get to know now. I now live in a sparsely housed wooded neighborhood right across the road from a state nature preserve and a half a mile from a small man-made lake. It's beautiful, peaceful, and though our 99 year old house is a very small expanded cottage, I love it and though I have to have a lot of things in storage a planned garage/storage space addition should take care of my only real problem (space for my collections). My stereo system has become a wonderful monster and I have the time to really enjoy it. 

Have been buying all the official pre-Brent Dead releases. . . though I don't listen to the Dead that much lately, comes and goes in phases. The period with Blue Ron is still my favorite!

1st, dp 24 just announced a minute ago: Berkeley 8/25/72. A great show. 

Me, I'm still in Dahlonega teaching for the University. Taught a course on the Beats--including Dylan--last Fall. Had major spinal fusion in December. Keeping up with the Dead through 1972. Found a complete set of Europe 72 on EBay for just over $100. That took a while to hear in its entirety. Still can't go much beyond that. I'm glad all is well with you!

Edited by orchiddoctor
spelling

4 hours ago, orchiddoctor said:

1st, dp 24 just announced a minute ago: Berkeley 8/25/72. A great show. 

Me, I'm still in Dahlonega teach for the University. Taught a course on the Beats--including Dylan--last Fall. Had major spinal fusion in December. Keeping up with the Dead through 1972. Found a complete set of Europe 72 on EBay for just over $100. That took a while to hear in its entirety. Still can't go much beyond that. I'm glad all is well with you!

Looks like it's already sold out.  Jeez...in less than four hours.

Edited by trane123