jazzbo

The Grateful Dead Dark Star

2,696 posts in this topic

"THE ANGEL'S SHARE" . . . a truckin' load of Workingman's Dead outtakes etc. available for streaming only.

https://www.dead.net/features/news-general-news/angels-share-stream-never-heard-workingmans-dead-sessions

Now I know many are overjoyed. . . my enthusiasm is tepid as I don't stream and won't be listening that way. Maybe they'll do a physical product of some form in the future.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, jazzbo said:

"THE ANGEL'S SHARE" . . . a truckin' load of Workingman's Dead outtakes etc. available for streaming only.

https://www.dead.net/features/news-general-news/angels-share-stream-never-heard-workingmans-dead-sessions

Now I know many are overjoyed. . . my enthusiasm is tepid as I don't stream and won't be listening that way. Maybe they'll do a physical product of some form in the future.

As far as I can tell (and it’s hard to read every post, unless it was in a separate thread), it didn’t seem to generate a lot of discussion on Hoffman. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Actually there's a number of posts in the thread about the Workingman's Dead 50th Anniversary Deluxe edition.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, jazzbo said:

"THE ANGEL'S SHARE" . . . a truckin' load of Workingman's Dead outtakes etc. available for streaming only.

https://www.dead.net/features/news-general-news/angels-share-stream-never-heard-workingmans-dead-sessions

Now I know many are overjoyed. . . my enthusiasm is tepid as I don't stream and won't be listening that way. Maybe they'll do a physical product of some form in the future.

Want me to burn you a copy? Several partial and complete Easy Winds! Otherwise, for completists. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd love it my friend if you are willing. The "Easy Winds" are the gold I'm sure! (Love that song).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On me your address. And give me a few days. Someone sent it to me via Dropbox. I have to download it, decide it, burn it, etc.! I’ll be doing one for me, so it’s no problem. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks! I've sent a PM.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Angel’s Share hasn’t been heavily publicized. It’s like the Dylan stuff—preserve the copyright. So all the false starts, wheezes, and full takes. Worth a free listen. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, jazzbo said:

Actually there's a number of posts in the thread about the Workingman's Dead 50th Anniversary Deluxe edition.

You’re right. I was looking at the main thread. It’s hard to keep track of all the threads there are on that forum. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Just received shipping notice for 50th anniversary 3 cd set and colored vinyl.

Excited about the Capital Theater Live stuff. I have several shows from that run and they are some of my favorites. I like the band at this time , they had a tougher sound. Will have to check I believe this is the run where Mickey left the Band because of his father. Band has different attitude when just Bill the drummer IMO.

Really on the fence on streaming the Ángel’s Share. Funny I retired from IT and always looked for new ways to take advantage of technology. However in music I’m definitely old school. I want the media.

Edited by Gdgray

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Received my shipping notice too but I just ordered the vinyl. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gdgray said:

Just received shipping notice for 50th anniversary 3 cd set and colored vinyl.

Excited about the Capital Theater Live stuff. I have several shows from that run and they are some of my favorites. I like the band at this time , they had a tougher sound. Will have to check I believe this is the run where Mickey left the Band because of his father. Band has different attitude when just Bill the drummer IMO.

Really on the fence on streaming the Ángel’s Share. Funny I retired from IT and always looked for new ways to take advantage of technology. However in music I’m definitely old school. I want the media.

 

Mickey’s last show until 10/20/74 was 2/18/71

the show they are including is 2/21/71

looking forward to hearing it

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was at this run. The ESP shows. They introduced around 10 new songs, dribbling out a few each night. The reason they selected this is like because it was recorded on 16 track so the sound is great. 
 

The run has been available in high quality for at least 20 years. I’d sooner have a show closer to the time Workingman’s was recorded. Maybe something from the Fillmore West when Miles Davis opened. Or another show with a great acoustic set. 
 

The Angel’s Share is interesting, but could be boiled down by eliminating the false starts or even the partial takes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Grateful Dead "Workingman's Dead"
[IMG]

The 50th Anniversary edition of this album arrived today, out today. I listened this morning to the Mobile Fidelity SACD which to me on my system sounds fantastic. Then the new version arrived (3 cd, 2 of which are a live show mixed from 16 track from '71) and I listened to this version of the album. It sounds very good darker and thicker sounding than the SACD. If you have the SACD and don't need the live show one can comfortably stick with the SACD. Except. . . man the lenticular slipcase cover on this is OUTSTANDING. Really a trip!

And this album has a cynically hopeful statement so ripe for this time: "One way or another this darkness got to give."
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Warner Music/Rhino distribution is not very good. I should have learned my lesson previously. I ordered the vinyl and it was allegedly shipped on July 6 but the tracking still says label created, not yet in system. I also have the same issue with a record I ordered from one of their affiliates, Run Out Groove. Their distribution is simply terrible. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Just placed order for Dave’s Picks Vol 35, guick listening to Dead site and it sounds like good stuff.I have subscription but always order extra as good trade material. I have extra 33 and 34 in reserve. Still waiting for WMD deluxe package to arrive. Back to normal after buying some MMJ records. Means more Dylan ,Dead and Miles. Looking forward to RSD ABB, Dead and Evans. Doesn’t Dead have another box in pipeline? I skipped last two but think I will pick up 76 box and maybe single Giants 91 5 lp.

Edited by Gdgray
I’m stupid

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Gdgray said:

Just placed order for Dave’s Picks Vol 35, guick listening to Dead site and it sounds like good stuff.I have subscription but always order extra as good trade material. I have extra 33 and 34 in reserve. Still waiting for WMD deluxe package to arrive. Back to normal after buying some MMJ records. Means more Dylan ,Dead and Miles. Looking forward to RSD ABB, Dead and Evans. Doesn’t Dead have another box in pipeline? I skipped last two but think I will pick up 76 box and maybe single Giants 91 5 lp.

33 & 34 are brilliant all-timers for me

I’m not thrilled at all about the new 4/20/84 that is Dave’s 35. Cassette based soundboards sound awful and that is what this will be. Dave’s 27 & 31 were from cassettes and they both sound awful (especially compared to great Reel-to-Reel recordings like the above Dave’s 33 (10/29/77) and Dave’s 34 (6/23/74 with the amazing bonus disc of highlights from 6/22/74).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Steve Reynolds said:

33 & 34 are brilliant all-timers for me

I’m not thrilled at all about the new 4/20/84 that is Dave’s 35. Cassette based soundboards sound awful and that is what this will be. Dave’s 27 & 31 were from cassettes and they both sound awful (especially compared to great Reel-to-Reel recordings like the above Dave’s 33 (10/29/77) and Dave’s 34 (6/23/74 with the amazing bonus disc of highlights from 6/22/74).

I would agree on 33 and 34. I’m more into early Dead up to ‘77. I was lucky to have been at 6/23/74 with Wall of Sound.I saw Dead in S Florida Easter weekend 1968 and It’s one of the all time best shows for me along with Seminole Indian Reservation show of May 1969. Pigpen was awesome.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

34 bonus disc is top tier. I'm not sure I will renew my subscription but glad to have this one. 1984 is not a great year for me as Jerry's health was increasingly compromised and his performances, especially vocals, showed it. SQ from the cassette era also a downer. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Gdgray said:

I would agree on 33 and 34. I’m more into early Dead up to ‘77. I was lucky to have been at 6/23/74 with Wall of Sound.I saw Dead in S Florida Easter weekend 1968 and It’s one of the all time best shows for me along with Seminole Indian Reservation show of May 1969. Pigpen was awesome.

Priceless 

you are the first person I’ve seen on any of the boards I frequent to be at the legendary May 69 Florida Festival shows. They are immortalized on Road Trips 4.1

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

15 hours ago, Steve Reynolds said:

Priceless 

you are the first person I’ve seen on any of the boards I frequent to be at the legendary May 69 Florida Festival shows. They are immortalized on Road Trips 4.1

 

 

South Florida music scene was  small at that time I don’t recall a big crowd. Johnny Winter was probably top draw as he was popular in the area and played at Pirate’s Worlds in Dania often. Dead was still not that popular for the time.

Two big memories.....1- Timothy Leary was there and people getting dosed.

2- Woodstock Festival was discussed. Makes sense now because I didn’t realize Michael Lang one of the promoters was from Miami. Once we heard that , several friends and I did a Six Week road trip staying in NJ, Long Island and NYC that summer. Yes we went to Woodstock on the Saturday and couldn’t get closer than 12-15 miles. That was big bummer because everywhere we went people were asking if we were going. 

I probably I had seen the Dead 5 or 6 times by the time of this festival. Dead gave a free concert on a Sunday at local Greynolds Park in N Miami which was very loose and cool. Airplane did a free show same summer at same park.

 

Edited by Gdgray

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

[50th anniversary American Beauty on sale announced]
I ordered 3cd deluxe and Colored Vinyl. Another Port Chester show as bonus 2/18/70. 
 

I have been laying off Dead as of late as I didn’t purchase last two box sets. Don’t listen to much past 73/74 anymore. 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.