The Grateful Dead Dark Star

jazzbo

I've always gotten a kick out of the fact that Jerry's bday is the same as mine. To me it's a cosmic confluence.

I supposed that OrchidDoc has the same bday as PigPen.

By the way, I noticed that the longest cuts on Vault III are the PigPen features.

Yep, longest cuts are Pig's. And he is putting his boot in the band's collective ass. This show is one of his best levitation acts ever.

(Found out not long ago that I share a birthday with Osama bin Laden.)

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've always gotten a kick out of the fact that Jerry's bday is the same as mine. To me it's a cosmic confluence.

By the way, I noticed that the longest cuts on Vault III are the PigPen features.

I guess I'll just have to settle with the fact that my birthday is the same as Satchmo's. . . . .

:D

I really like Three from the Vault.

I guess I'll just have to settle with the fact that my birthday is the same as Satchmo's. . . . .

:D

I really like Three from the Vault.

I was hatched. That is one of the finest Smokestacks there is. Jerry's light sliding--whew.

• 3 weeks later...

What do you think, is it time for the Grateful Dead to have their own "Corner" thread?

I confess that about a decade, the whole nineties, went by and I hardly heard the Dead. I was deep into jazz, gave up playing drums in rock and roll bands (I mean how many times can you really pack your station wagon full of equipment with gusto to go out and make gas money playing for drunken frat boys?) and really only Hendrix showed up on my radar from my earlier rock listening world. . . .

But in the last year suddenly (and I solidly place the blame on ORGANISSIMO.ORG!) I'm buying Dick's Picks and the box set and the Garcia box set (TWICE! anyone needing a copy cheap pm me!) and . . . well. . . I'm back to being a Deadhead!

What is it about them? I haven't really put my finger on it, but I think it's part Garcia's eclectic mastery of the guitar, part Billy Kreutzman's wonderful drumming, and part Weir's quirky guitar, voice and songs. . . those are the top three ingredients that keep me going back to the Dead . . . .

So chime in if you're a fan and it's too bad Jeff isn't posting nowadays!

I'm pretty open minded and I have broad tastes in music, but I just DO NOT get the Dead. People seem rabid in their devotion to them: articles praise their improvisation abilities; everytime I've heard them they've sounded like a REALLY bad garage band to me. So, I'd vote 'no'.

bigtiny

Thanks for weighing in. On the hundredth page of a thread about a band. . .you have to figure mostly read by people who don't care too much if you don't get it. :)

Oh...I'm sorry....I thought this was an open forum for discussion. I didn't realize that it was only for syncophants.

bigtiny

Oh feel free to weigh in.

If I recollect within this thread I think you'll see it's been done before. Openly discussed. Not sure your discussion will get much attention but maybe!

I just posted what I did, with :) included because I just felt it amusing the placement on page 100!

But. . . what is there to discuss? You don't appear to want to be "convinced," you've made an effort to "get it" and haven't. So. . . if we get something you don't after quite a bit of time and some effort, and if we try to even articulate it, is there even a chance it will lead to "open discussion" that means anything to all concerned?

Edited by jazzbo

I'm gonna buy either "Closing of Winterland", "Three from the Vault" or the recent "Cow Palace" release. I've never heard any of these but I am familiar with the different periods.

I'm leaning toward the Winterland set. Does it have good sound? Did they mix Donna down? (I hope, I hope)

Just curious about some of your opinions.

Thanks!

Donna dosen't bother me, so I can't remember specifically if they "mixed her down," but the sound is great on that set.

Of the three, Three from the Vault would be the one I'd keep if I could only keep one. But I like Dead earlier better than later.

hadn't heard that, mj-- can you give us the summary? there's more than enough-- or just the right amount-- of dead out there few really "need" more so... if the whole thing stopped tomorrow, there are hundreds of thousands of people w/hundreds of tapes & cd-rs they never listen to & probably never will... still, edc sunflower has been on this trip since the 8-26-71 Gaelic Park gig in the Bronx (i was little too young to hit the Fillmore shows before then) so i'm always interested in what's going on.

:rofl:

I was just thinking the other day that Jerry Garcia has to be the most recorded artist in history. Who even comes close to leaving behind as large a recorded legacy on tape? Frankly, I can't think of anybody.

The tracks in the Tapers Section used to be available in .mp3 format. They've changed that this week to an all-streaming format. The site states:

"I undertook the Taper's Section last November with a pretty simple vision: to have fun providing folks a regular opportunity to hear vault material that kept their interest in Grateful Dead music fresh.

"Recently, I and others that work on dead.net became aware that certain fans had been regularly downloading the tracks offered in the Taper Section. From the very beginning, this program has always been intended to be a "for streaming only" service. Downloading was never announced, described or promoted in any manner. The situation that developed over the past months is very different than my original plan.

"Where we’re at today requires us to step back, gather some information, do some thinking and get back to you. In the meantime, we ask that you all realize that dead.net's and GDP's commitment to the Dead Head community is unchanged. We’re very excited to be hard at work with Rhino on a number of very cool releases and programs that you’ll be hearing about soon. Please bear with us until then."

Yes, it really DOES show why he mattered!

But then. . . I AM a Blue Ron fan!

Since when? How are things,Lon?

As to out negaposter--I think it's refreshing every so often to be reminded that not everyone likes the dead, and fewer like them from start (1965) to finish (1995).

There are a lot of anti-deadites in the world, and I can understand them not liking the endless noodling or having a taste for Cownboy songs and Pigpen.

Hell, if we all liked one band, there would be no Other.

So, thanks for posting. Really.

Somebody has to keep Lonin his place! :blink:

Since about 1974 actually. I wish I had become a Blue Ron fan sooner! It was Bear's Choice, when that came out, with his solo feature and then those other features. . .I became a Pigpen fan. (edited to get the date right, etc.)

Well, things actually suck Bill, but I'm painting a rosy pattern, a sort of nondrug windowpane lattice of color, around things so that I can fool myself into thinking things are better than they are.

I'm on day nine of my wife's donor bone marrow transplant (bone marrow transplant number 2 for her) and some strange things are brewing as the donor cells begin to awake and make their presence known. My wife feels like shit. I'm feeling okay physically but very tired of thirteen hour days in the hospital and worrying. I can stop the worrying. The thirteen hour days have to continue.

When I get Helen out of the hospital I'm starting on the Dead dling again. The network here at the hospital is "broke" this time, slower than molasses in February.

Edited by jazzbo