The Grateful Dead Dark Star

jazzbo

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Still bums me out that you can't find a copy of The Complete Fillmore West 1969 for anything under $450, when is the price every coming down on this one? After almost a year of no Dead, I'm back in the fold... :ph34r:

$450???? Wow. I thought I did good when I sold mine for $310.

I'm probably opening Pandora's Box but...

I prefer the sound of the previous circulating copies(Latvala's rough mix) of that run to the Rhino box.

Still bums me out that you can't find a copy of The Complete Fillmore West 1969 for anything under $450, when is the price every coming down on this one? After almost a year of no Dead, I'm back in the fold... :ph34r:

You may be a fan of "official product," but all of this music can be downloaded for free in high quality 256-bit MP3s at this site Speeding Arrow

The switch to streaming at the Dead's site has been a pain. What's the one application that is easy to use, can capture a stream and save as .mp3, where we specify the save-to folder? I have tried a few freeware and shareware programs (e.g. SoundTap), the functionalities are so fragmented it's ridiculous. I would pay about $15-20 for a really good audio utility program at this point.

Also, is speedingarrow easy to use? I see they want users to register on a bulletin board before they are able to download copyrighted content... Do I have that right?? Have they posted the newly streamed snippets from Tapers Section?

btw, this weeks Dark Star medley is truly a bomb, finishes with rousing Casey Jones. Worth hearing, great sound.

Edited by AmirBagachelles

The switch to streaming at the Dead's site has been a pain. What's the one application that is easy to use, can capture a stream and save as .mp3, where we specify the save-to folder? I have tried a few freeware and shareware programs (e.g. SoundTap), the functionalities are so fragmented it's ridiculous. I would pay about $15-20 for a really good audio utility program at this point.

Also, is speedingarrow easy to use? I see they want users to register on a bulletin board before they are able to download copyrighted content... Do I have that right?? Have they posted the newly streamed snippets from Tapers Section?

btw, this weeks Dark Star medley is truly a bomb, finishes with rousing Casey Jones. Worth hearing, great sound.

Speeding Arrow is very easy to use. I believe that anyone who requests registration gets it very quickly. Are they legal? Well, maybe pseudo-legal. They have a policy of not providing anything that is available (in print) as official product. Check it out.

Speeding Arrow is very easy to use. I believe that anyone who requests registration gets it very quickly. Are they legal? Well, maybe pseudo-legal. They have a policy of not providing anything that is available (in print) as official product. Check it out.

I registered yesterday, and the confirmation email was sent immediately. Haven't downloaded anything yet though, I'm doing Dime right now.

511IGcSlIOL._AA240_.jpg

Live at the Cow Palace: New Years Eve 1976

I dissed this one when it came out, but now that I'm listening to it again, it's much better than I first realized. It has one of the better first sets I've heard, especially a great Playing In The Band to close out set one. The Second set is outstanding, I really dig the Not Fade Away>Morning Dew close, very cool.

Is that right? :unsure: From the Deadlist site.

Band: Grateful Dead

Venue: Hofheinz Pavilion - University of Houston

Date: 11/19/72 - Sunday

Set One: Bertha ; Me And My Uncle ; Sugaree [6:47] ; Beat It On Down The Line [3:02] ; Bird Song [10:44] ; Black Throated Wind [6:28] ; Don't Ease Me In [3:10] ; Mexicali Blues [3:20] ; Box Of Rain [4:40] ; Tomorrow Is Forever [5:21] ; Big River [4:07] ; China Cat Sunflower [7:04] > I Know You Rider [4:46] ; Playing In The Band [20:12] ; Casey Jones [5:48]

Set Two [1:36:00] ; The Promised Land [2:52] ; Ramble On Rose [6:08] ; El Paso [4:05] ; Stella Blue [7:13] ; Jack Straw [4:39] ; Dark Star [30:53] > Weather Report Suite Prelude > Mississippi Half-Step Uptown Toodeloo [8:05] ; Around And Around [4:39] ; Big Railroad Blues [3:48] ; Sugar Magnolia [8:24] > Goin' Down The Road Feeling Bad [7:32]

Comments: the show concluding Sugar Magnolia> Goin Down the Road Feelin Bad circulates only in somewhat corroded SBD.

Recordings 220 SBD

Master recording source(s): 1inch Master Reels@7.5ips 1/2trk

Edited by Matthew

That's the one.

The Dark Star is truly amazing. Easily one of my top 10 faves. Phil's bass is WAY up in the mix. Small caveat - the first set is plagued w/ mixing problems. Actually, one of the strongest tunes of the show is "Promised Land". Now normally when someone says that "Promised Land" or "Johnny B.Good" was one of the highlights of the show, I pass. I never thought much of the Dead's covers of Chuck Berry but this version SMOKES.

41Rtdi-BdUL._AA240_.jpg

Been listening to Three From The Vault this afternoon and it's very enjoyable, even McKernan seems to be under control for this concert (he's not one of my favorites, Sorry Lon & Orchid Doctor). First concert after Micky Hart left, and the debut of a couple of songs soon to be concert staples. I'm finding that I really like the "stripped down" model of the Dead, seems to me Kreutzmann could handle anything thrown his way very nicely. Garcia's guitar sounds like it had a much harder edge on this recording than I've heard before, and it sounds powerful. Thinking I'm going have start finding the other stripped down Dead concerts out there and begin to do some serious downloading.

Thinking I'm going have start finding the other stripped down Dead concerts out there and begin to do some serious downloading.

Make sure you check out 8-6-71, and don't let the fact it's an audience scare you off. I'd take audience recordings like the one by Rob Bertrando over soundboards any day! The happy marriage of a great show & great recording.

Thinking I'm going have start finding the other stripped down Dead concerts out there and begin to do some serious downloading.

Make sure you check out 8-6-71, and don't let the fact it's an audience scare you off. I'd take audience recordings like the one by Rob Bertrando over soundboards any day! The happy marriage of a great show & great recording.

Yeah Doc Rob made one sweet recording that night. The only audience tape to ever see official release, IIRC. Have you heard any of the remastered AUD recordings of the various Port Chester shows by Ken Lee?? The 6/24/70 and 11/5/70 shows are great shows/pretty darn good recordings and the only way to hear these shows since the reels have gone AWOL from the Vault.

Yeah Doc Rob made one sweet recording that night. The only audience tape to ever see official release, IIRC.

Just the "Hard To Handle" on Fallout From The Philzone right? I believe the part of the Houseboat tapes that are from 8-6-71 on DP 35 are soundboard (never did get that one, so I'm not positive.)

Have you heard any of the remastered AUD recordings of the various Port Chester shows by Ken Lee?? The 6/24/70 and 11/5/70 shows are great shows/pretty darn good recordings and the only way to hear these shows since the reels have gone AWOL from the Vault.

I've got a SNB of the Dark Star>Attics>Dark Star>Sugar Mag>Dark Star>Kitchen Sink>Dark Star (okay, the 2 are made up) part. While compared to so many great sounding recordings available of the Dead it's very rough but it's nowhere near as bad sounding as advertised. Sure, it could be better, but when you have a sequence that crazy you take what you can get! I faded out in my hyper-obsessive Dead collecting mode before getting to 11/5/70, though it was on the list of things to get to. A couple of fall '71 where Keith joins the band shows were also targeted and not gotten. Someday...I had reached the point where I needed to start listening more rather than collecting more. :)

While AUD patches can be a drag in some shows, there are some I enjoy. I always like the one in the Dark Star>Dew from 9/11/73, because you can feel the excitement from the crowd, especially when the Dew drops. And then it goes back to board - the better to hear the boys. Thanks for the 11/5/70 tip!

Well after cursing at my computer for 90 minutes, I finally figured out again the ins-and-outs of downloading a bit torrent, decoding a FLAC file, and burning the stupid thing, so I'm now listening to the Paramount Theater, Portland, OR., show from 07-26-1972. Nice quality to it, so I'm on my way. I'll be looking to download your recommendations in the days to come -- thanks guys for the tips. Just need to figure out now how to stop the couple of seconds gap the Window Media Player seems to insist on having before each song.

Edited by Matthew

I'm finding that I really like the "stripped down" model of the Dead, seems to me Kreutzmann could handle anything thrown his way very nicely. Garcia's guitar sounds like it had a much harder edge on this recording than I've heard before, and it sounds powerful.

I'm gonna have to disagree with you here. Haven't heard Three from the Vault yet, but by 1973-74, it feels like Billy's trying to fill in all of the places that Mickey might have played. I went back and listened the soundtrack from the Grateful Dead movie the other day, and Billy was almost unlistenable in spots.

Glad to be seeing good reviews of Three from the Vault though. It's on my wish list, and the tidbits I've heard here and there, I like quite a bit.

For those willing to brave a rough aud for true gold, 11/8/70 is worth your time. At this point, there is apparently a blended mix of 2-3 auds that has been patched and tricked out to the extent possible. I know it from 20 years ago, before digital magic, and it was a great car cassette. 1970 is the Dead's coolest year for my ears, their multi-apex of weird, roots folk, and pounding psychedelia. Can't get enough of the good. As my wise taper friend Gary used to advertise "Have 2000 hours, need more."

I'm finding that I really like the "stripped down" model of the Dead, seems to me Kreutzmann could handle anything thrown his way very nicely. Garcia's guitar sounds like it had a much harder edge on this recording than I've heard before, and it sounds powerful.

I'm gonna have to disagree with you here. Haven't heard Three from the Vault yet, but by 1973-74, it feels like Billy's trying to fill in all of the places that Mickey might have played. I went back and listened the soundtrack from the Grateful Dead movie the other day, and Billy was almost unlistenable in spots.

Glad to be seeing good reviews of Three from the Vault though. It's on my wish list, and the tidbits I've heard here and there, I like quite a bit.

I would disagree with most of what you said of Kreutzmann being unlistenable in parts, but there are times on disk two, during the monumental He's Gone>Jam>Weirdness>The Other One>The Spanish Jam>Mind Left Body Jam>The Other One section that it's obvious that Garcia & Kreutzmann are not on the same page, in fact, not even in the same library. Even give those moments, I still like Kreutzmann solo, seems to give the Dead a little more breathing space. I'll have to listen to The Movie Sound Track again a pay more attention to what the drumming is like.

Yeah Doc Rob made one sweet recording that night. The only audience tape to ever see official release, IIRC.

Just the "Hard To Handle" on Fallout From The Philzone right? I believe the part of the Houseboat tapes that are from 8-6-71 on DP 35 are soundboard (never did get that one, so I'm not positive.)

Correct on both counts.

Have you heard any of the remastered AUD recordings of the various Port Chester shows by Ken Lee?? The 6/24/70 and 11/5/70 shows are great shows/pretty darn good recordings and the only way to hear these shows since the reels have gone AWOL from the Vault.

I've got a SNB of the Dark Star>Attics>Dark Star>Sugar Mag>Dark Star>Kitchen Sink>Dark Star (okay, the 2 are made up) part. While compared to so many great sounding recordings available of the Dead it's very rough but it's nowhere near as bad sounding as advertised. Sure, it could be better, but when you have a sequence that crazy you take what you can get! I faded out in my hyper-obsessive Dead collecting mode before getting to 11/5/70, though it was on the list of things to get to. A couple of fall '71 where Keith joins the band shows were also targeted and not gotten. Someday...I had reached the point where I needed to start listening more rather than collecting more. :)

While AUD patches can be a drag in some shows, there are some I enjoy. I always like the one in the Dark Star>Dew from 9/11/73, because you can feel the excitement from the crowd, especially when the Dew drops. And then it goes back to board - the better to hear the boys. Thanks for the 11/5/70 tip!

Actually that whole run of Port Chester from Nov. 70 is worth getting. Since those are all AUD recordings you can check them out on the Archive. Such a shame that the 2nd half 1970 is missing from the Vault.

Edited by J.H. Deeley

I would disagree with most of what you said of Kreutzmann being unlistenable in parts, but there are times on disk two, during the monumental He's Gone>Jam>Weirdness>The Other One>The Spanish Jam>Mind Left Body Jam>The Other One section that it's obvious that Garcia & Kreutzmann are not on the same page, in fact, not even in the same library. Even give those moments, I still like Kreutzmann solo, seems to give the Dead a little more breathing space. I'll have to listen to The Movie Sound Track again a pay more attention to what the drumming is like.

I always prefer Bill alone with the band. Not that much a fan of the two drum band. I enjoy Mickey alone with the guys too (Mickey and the Hartbeats for example).