The Grateful Dead Dark Star

jazzbo

I'm finally listening to the Dead's run at Winterland of June 7, 8 & 9 1977, and enjoying it very much. Garcia is in very good form, and the SDBs are in great shape -- this is definitely a candidate for a full-blown box set treatment, if Rhino is into the kind of stuff anymore. Almost tore my hair out trying to convert the June 8 show from a Shn. file to Wav. Flac I can do, but that Shn. stuff had me stumped there for a couple of days.

Hey hey June 8 '77 - that's "MY show" - the onliest time I saw the GD live! :excited:

Oh my gosh! You got to hear Donna sing solo on a number :ph34r:

PS: Hey! This is a pretty groovy concert. :cool:

PSS: The second set on this one is mucho groovy -- You were lucky to catch them on good night Kenny!

Edited by Matthew

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Can anyone recommend a good Grateful Dead Forum, I'd like to have a site where I can talk about the Dead until I'm sick of 'em.

Why not stay and talk about the Dead with the guys in this forum? :huh:

Because we won't be here come Jan 1, 2008. :( :(

Edited by Matthew

Yeah, I hang out at the Dead site a bit, but it can get a little monotonous.

There's many people there who are into the GD AND other sounds. But there's also a heap who are pretty much into the Dead and the Dead ONLY.

I can't really understand a mindset that can revel in multiple versions of the GD doing Turn On Your Lovelight or It Hurts Me Too, yet have no interest in checking out Bobby Bland or Elmore James.

My own tastes have moved on in many ways, but as Quincy says "Prefer jazz background in posters" when it comes to GD, country music, sports, politics, cooking etc etc

Edited by kenny weir

And those posts that abuse ellipses can be........hard.........to............take......... :eye:

There's many people there who are into the GD AND other sounds. But there's also a heap who are pretty much into the Dead and the Dead ONLY.

Apologies if I posted this before, but it's an oldie (ASCII art!) & a goody. rec.music.gdead Music Appreciation Flow Chart.

Living in Eugene, an old Dead stopover with plenty of "family" still living here, I'm all too familiar the mindset of the chart.

And those posts that abuse ellipses can be........hard.........to............take......... :eye:

Apologies if I posted this before, but it's an oldie (ASCII art!) & a goody. rec.music.gdead Music Appreciation Flow Chart.

Living in Eugene, an old Dead stopover with plenty of "family" still living here, I'm all too familiar the mindset of the chart.

That chart is friggin' hilarious. I forgot about rec.music.dead group. I used to belong to it 7 or 8 years ago.....

I have an excellent copy of 11-11-73 but downloaded the new version as this is a must have show. I need to listen to the whole thing to see if it's an improvement.

I'm still stubbornly refusing to do so. One, because I've trade for that show 3 times already. Two, I'm still hoping for an official-ized box. :) If they ever do it may be that the fans may end up having a better sounding copy through unofficial means. Still, the main reason I want the box is to get rid of some cruel cuts on 11-9 & 11-10.

You guys really need to download the new Charlie Miller pitch corrected version of 11/11/73, it sounds great, nice and clear, and of course, the boys are on fire on this one

Can anyone recommend a good Grateful Dead Forum, I'd like to have a site where I can talk about the Dead until I'm sick of 'em.

Why not stay and talk about the Dead with the guys in this forum? :huh:

Because we won't be here come Jan 1, 2008. :( :(

What happens Jan. 1 2008 ?

Where have you been! You've missed a lot of drama! ;)

For awhile there it looked like the board was going to shut down on that date. Not the case anymore. Our own little Dead corner lives on!

I've decided to go through Dick's Picks in order (Oh, don't ask why), and I want to throw out much love for Dick's Pick Vol. 2, Columbus, Ohio - 10/31/71. For some reason, I've always loved this unpretentious volume, only a single disk, which makes it get over looked at times, but the music here is wonderful. The up tempo thing that comes out of Dark Star going by the name Jam; that is so good, I l-o-v-e it to death. A lot of great playing here. :wub:

I've decided to go through Dick's Picks in order (Oh, don't ask why), and I want to throw out much love for Dick's Pick Vol. 2, Columbus, Ohio - 10/31/71. For some reason, I've always loved this unpretentious volume, only a single disk, which makes it get over looked at times, but the music here is wonderful. The up tempo thing that comes out of Dark Star going by the name Jam; that is so good, I l-o-v-e it to death. A lot of great playing here. :wub:

A lot of good nights on that tour. That first wave of inspiration that came from adding Keith was a big one.

For some reason, she doesn't bother me. Though I acknowledge that she's awful at times. . . . I don't think she could hear herself and that didn't help.

But. . . she was so beautiful to see in the 'seventies. . . .Everytime I want to complain about how she sounds, I think of when I saw her with my own two eyes. . .and forget about it!

For some reason, she doesn't bother me. Though I acknowledge that she's awful at times. . . . I don't think she could hear herself and that didn't help.

But. . . she was so beautiful to see in the 'seventies. . . .Everytime I want to complain about how she sounds, I think of when I saw her with my own two eyes. . .and forget about it!

I can understand that. Probably Donna in person was a different experience than hearing her thirty one years later. Live it would've been okay, with the ambiance, music going, and some stuff that made everyone feel mellow ;).

Listening to DP 3, my gosh! is there anything worse than Donna singing Sunrise?

Hee hee. Yes there is. Her contributions to "Scarlet" during the '74 tour. The Portland '74 show might have my favorite room clearing moment. Imagine a cow with intestinal blockage...

Weirdly enough though, I always feel obligated to do her part on the DP 14 "Playings" as she was off on maternity leave. I'm so used to the "Yeah Yeah Yeahs!" it somehow doesn't feel right without her. I have a friend who when his kid was a 3 year old always loved to scream her part on Playing too. :lol: (Not sure if he outgrew that habit, I'll have to ask.) I also think she usually makes the Weather Report Suites better too. And the "Music Never Stopped."

It's always said in her defense that they didn't have proper monitors for her, so she couldn't hear herself. (Have I set up a joke or what?) She sure did alright on Elvis's "Suspicious Minds" and the Pure Jerry release (Warner, 3/18/78.)

Okay, the defense rests. ;) But yeah, there's some damning evidence out there. :lol:

It's always said in her defense that they didn't have proper monitors for her, so she couldn't hear herself. (Have I set up a joke or what?) She sure did alright on Elvis's "Suspicious Minds" and the Pure Jerry release (Warner, 3/18/78.)

Okay, the defense rests. ;) But yeah, there's some damning evidence out there. :lol:

I think that it is interesting how much better Donna sounded with the Jerry Garcia Band than with the Dead.

I think that it is interesting how much better Donna sounded with the Jerry Garcia Band than with the Dead.

It's also interesting to hear how much better at times Jerry Garcia was with the JGB than the Dead...

Listened to DP 4 tonight. I know people rave about this one, but I was underwhelmed. Didn't think Dark Star was all that much, and Lovelight? When McKernan went into his rap, I went and folded my laundry.

Edited by Matthew

Went to get my mail today, and Lo! what do I find but The Deadhead's Taping Compendium Volume 1. Good gravy, but there's a ton of stuff in this, and interesting stuff at that. Was able to get a pristine copy of $20.00 -- I'm going to be digging this one a lot over the years. :cool: