• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

why wasnt krutuzemannn @ the dead show?

And leave Hawaii in February?

I can't remember all of my gossip, but does he have a problem with Phil (too)?

Rumor has it that Billy is forming a band w/ one of the guys from Phish and the lead guitarist of Max Creek. Apparently they spent a few weeks down in Costa Rica in early January rehearsing.

Went to pre-order Road Trios Vol 2.....cheapest shipping was 9.99......I'm going to rethink the pre-ordering.

That's nutso. I thought $12 to Oz was bad, but $10 to Virginia?

:crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy:

I think once you log in and go to the checkout you get the different shipping options. I only paid 4.60.

I hear its has "THE Sugaree" on it.

Edited by WorldB3

Went to pre-order Road Trios Vol 2.....cheapest shipping was 9.99......I'm going to rethink the pre-ordering.

That's nutso. I thought $12 to Oz was bad, but $10 to Virginia?

:crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy:

I think once you log in and go to the checkout you get the different shipping options. I only paid 4.60.

I hear its has "THE Sugaree" on it.

I think what's going on is the closer you are to Rhino (in CA) the cheaper the shipping. It's UPS? Lon- what was your shipping cost? You're about halfway between CA and Virginia. I'm going to put a few fake addresses to see if the shipping changes depending on where you are.

The current Garcia shop (and former GD shop) is in Crozet, VA about an hours drive for me- and shipping for items is the same as if it was going to CA.

I have a trilogy set of Dead stuff, pretty dire mastering and sound but enough to show the music. There are 2 pretty poor and uninteresting country-pop records and an excellent jam album Live Dead. I like Live Dead enough for me to want to track down the double vinyl reissue with superior sound, and I'd quite like to check out some of the Dick's Picks releases as I hear you can get some brilliant improvy stuff there.

I look forward to reading through this lot.

Well that's weird....I went to buy RT Vol 2 and it gave me a USPS option (6-12 days) for 2.20. I chose that option and ordered it.

Perhaps people complained.

Cool, as media mail can move pretty fast most of the time when it's just up or down I-5. Though the $4.60 is acceptable enough (and I've read on Hoffman west coasters are getting their discs ultra-fast.) That seals it! I may own 2 of the shows, but I'm actually looking forward to the 2nd disc (with improved sound) where they've created a Frankenstein monster set that's better than the reality. And the Dead were all about changing reality. :)

I'm excited about it! I enjoy the '77 Dead and I don't own any shows other than the Dick's Picks. I haven't downloaded anything- I just entered the realm of DSL since it became available a month ago.

Here's something weird: I entered the Garcia website- they're still advertising 15% off Holiday sale, plus advertising the Pure Jerry Vol 7 (Hampton, VA) but the 15% discount doesn't apply in your checkout and I can't find Vol 7 anywhere on the site to purchase it.

I have a trilogy set of Dead stuff, pretty dire mastering and sound but enough to show the music. There are 2 pretty poor and uninteresting country-pop records and an excellent jam album Live Dead. I like Live Dead enough for me to want to track down the double vinyl reissue with superior sound, and I'd quite like to check out some of the Dick's Picks releases as I hear you can get some brilliant improvy stuff there.

If you like Live Dead I think Dicks Picks #4 from 1970 would be a good place to go next. The hour that is Dark Star-Alligator etc should be what your looking for.

While not as heavy the third disc from Dicks Picks # 19 from fall 73 is very improvisational and possibly my favorite thing ever.

If you like Live Dead I think Dicks Picks #4 from 1970 would be a good place to go next. The hour that is Dark Star-Alligator etc should be what your looking for.

While not as heavy the third disc from Dicks Picks # 19 from fall 73 is very improvisational and possibly my favorite thing ever.

Thanks, they will go down on the forever growing list.

Just finished listening to disc 1. Sound is excellent!

I really really wish they were doing complete shows instead of these comps. :angry:

The sound is really something. By far the best sounding Dead disc I own. The performances of Let It Grow, Sugaree and Franklins are epic. Haven't got to much on the other discs except for Scarlet-Fire but from what I have heard I am very happy with it.

• 2 weeks later...

For me, on the evidence of the two releases so far, the Road Trips idea is looking pretty shaky.

Not that I'm a completist or such like - after all, several of the band's greatest albums were compiled the same way.

But I found the first Road Trips just pretty much useless. Although I concede that was my first serious foray into the post-Godchaux lineup. But but but ... a big part of the problem was that some change in the overall sound means I can no longer so easily separate, in my ears/mind, the playing of Garica, Mydland and Weir. There's no particular reason why this should be a problem, I guess. But I'm just so used to hearing the band the same way I listen to a really cooking hard bop outfit: All easily indentifiable parts, but sounding like one sweet-rocking whole.

Road Trips Vol1 No2 is much, much better - there's some really great stuff. But some patchy things, too. Oh well, that's the GD! I guess it's tricky, but tune order is really crucial here.

Don't know about the packaging, either. All very eco/greenie and stuff, but I wonder about its longevity.

shalom. what is shittin'? a friend desired to hear a days between so i found a 93 show online and downloaded it for him. did not listen myself as i am sure it was not something i would have found soulful and swinging, etc. however i also pulled out some old discs to burn for him along with the 93 show. i put on 12/6/73 which was enjoyable. i think i had it on while i cooked sangria and avacado salad. then i put on some winterland '74 seastones into some trippiness. those were good. i listened to a classic '79 show and it did nothing for me no more (cape cod) and also a family dog '69 show which i enjoyed and could see listening to again. i thought i liked '76 but then i put on a june '76 show and it had too much songing and not enough jamming, etc. 12/6/73, that is a heady dank dark star where goodchux thankfully plays some electric piano.

I could've started a thread about this, but I figure pretty much anyone interested lobs in here every now and then, so ...

In my sometimes fevered efforts to replicate the GD experience, I have bought some real turkeys in recent years.

BUT - this one is a cracker.

I stumbled across it at CDBaby and took a punt - and am very glad I did.

It reminds me of the GD only a little bit, but others names that came to mind as I was listening were: Gene Clark, America, Spirit, Steely Dan, Traffic and many more.

It's only marginally truly psychedelic - there's some feedback guitar and sitar stuff. But the playing is actually more jazzy than I expected, something accentuated by flute on several tracks.

The members come from Them, the Buckinghams and Baby Huey, the soul behemouth - quite an interesting lineup.

truthsounds.jpg

Truth

Of Them and Other Tales

Truth, the Chicago based late 60's band containing three ex-Them members, is proud to release "Of Them and Other Tales", which is almost 70 minutes of psychedelic drenched previously unreleased originals.tracks

Obviously Van Morrison and Them were 60's rock icons. But what happened to the rest of Them? Jim Armstrong, Ray Elliot and Kenny McDowell regrouped with a top flight Chicago rhythm section and Truth was a mainstay on the midwest underground ballroom/ festival circuit at the end of the sixties. "Of Them and Other Tales" showcases their previously unreleased studio recordings in stunning fidelity.

Truth's adventurous late sixties' sound is a bit hard to categorize, but it's all here:

sitar, flute, exotic studio effects and (most important) great songwriting. The packaging on this cd is equally killer- the lavish, in depth liner notes (including many photos and archival images) tell the Them/Truth story as never before.

Guest bluenote82

I honestly never liked the Grateful Dead. The music just wasn't all that great. If I was going to listen to a psychedelic band or whatever you want to call them I'll listen to Ten Years After, Pink Floyd, Fever Tree, Iron Butterfly, Jefferson Airplane, Ozric Tentacles, or Vanilla Fudge. I think they said a whole lot more musically then the Grateful Dead ever did.

Edited by bluenote82